Jesus Freak friend confronted me over facebook likes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Jesus Freak friend confronted me over facebook likes
So my christian friend from the US, who I used to hang out a lot and is a self described "Jesus Freak" confronted me about my likes and huffington posts about the duck dynasty phil comments. He's messaging me to ask what's motivating my likes and posts.
I haven't announced I'm an agnostic atheist on FB and I used to be very in your face about my type of christianity. As far as I know he doesn't know i'm not a christian, but he hasnt asked. My religious views on FB state Agnostic.
The interesting thing is that he's telling me that I'm putting posts that make "us" (christians i suppose) look bad. That i'm exposing "us" and that "fuels the fire for those who hate us".

It's a little sad to be on the other side of the glass seeing all the assumptions my friend makes (and I used to as well). Mind you i'm liking some posts from pages like TTA and posting news from the huffington post.

Hobo

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like djkamilo's post
20-12-2013, 11:01 AM
RE: Jesus Freak friend confronted me over facebook likes
That is sort of funny, in a weird sort of way. My dad had a similar non-FB issue a while ago. We used to be elders at our church, and one of them was really conservative (he later left the church because the pastor would pray for our enemies during the weekly prayer). He would constantly email my dad (on mass lists) talking about how Christians are supposed to vote, and why the Democratic party is not Christian.

I'm glad I never made it on his list.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
20-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Without knowing more about the situation I can't comment much. I know that although I disagree with that guy's statements, he does have the legal right to say it. However Disney (the company that owns A&E) is VERY protective of their image. They are NOT going to allow their image to be tarnished by this man. And as they are a private entity that is their right.

Disney has a right to THEIR freedom of speech on THEIR network. If they are paying for the airtime then they get to say what goes on it. If I buy a megaphone you don't get to grab it out of my hand and use it without my permission. This is basic property rights. The channel and the broadcasts on it are the property of the Disney company, and they get to say who gets to use their megaphone.
[+] 3 users Like natachan's post
20-12-2013, 11:21 AM
BTW
He's a big Ray Comfort follower. And obviously he talks to me differently than he would a perceived atheist.
For example when he said that I was posting things that make "us" look bad,
I asked him," do you think they should be censored?"
He said "For me, no. For others, yes"
I was quite shocked. He wants to censor info.
He later explained that news posts like that "confuse the young and discourage the weak"

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
20-12-2013, 11:22 AM
It's not much of an assumption if your friend thinks you're still a conservative Christian based on what he knew about you in the past and your lack of revealing that you're an atheist.

The other "likes" aren't tell-tale as I have liked TTA and other traditionally "non-Christian" sites. He is just confused by your behavior because it contradicts what he "knows" about you. It's not fair to fault him.

If you don't want to reveal your atheism just yet, either ignore him or tell him that "you have your reasons". You're not obligated to answer him or give him any information even if he keeps pressing for some.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
20-12-2013, 11:27 AM
He not got any right to tell you what not to like and what to like. He wanna live your life for you ? Tell him "Fuck off, dick, you already got your own life, why you wanna tell me how to live mine? My life is my facebook, and you wanna take it away from me ? Not bloody likely!"

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-12-2013, 11:28 AM
I don't mind having the conversation. I used to be very controversial when I was a christian, I really dont have the time to have the convo or the interest really. As i used to be heavy into converting people, i just find proselytizing now to be exhausting.

20-12-2013, 11:30 AM
(20-12-2013 11:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  He not got any right to tell you what not to like and what to like. He wanna live your life for you ? Tell him "Fuck off, dick, you already got your own life, why you wanna tell me how to live mine? My life is my facebook, and you wanna take it away from me ? Not bloody likely!"

Plus I have my religious views on FB as Agnostic ever since I left the church. All he has to do is check on info.

20-12-2013, 11:39 AM
(20-12-2013 10:56 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  So my christian friend from the US, who I used to hang out a lot and is a self described "Jesus Freak" confronted me about my likes and huffington posts about the duck dynasty phil comments. He's messaging me to ask what's motivating my likes and posts.
I haven't announced I'm an agnostic atheist on FB and I used to be very in your face about my type of christianity. As far as I know he doesn't know i'm not a christian, but he hasnt asked. My religious views on FB state Agnostic.
The interesting thing is that he's telling me that I'm putting posts that make "us" (christians i suppose) look bad. That i'm exposing "us" and that "fuels the fire for those who hate us".

It's a little sad to be on the other side of the glass seeing all the assumptions my friend makes (and I used to as well). Mind you i'm liking some posts from pages like TTA and posting news from the huffington post.

Hobo

Did he actually use the word "expose"? He feels Christians have something to hide?

Do you feel comfortable copying some excerpts of his posts here anonymously? Not important if you'd rather not. I just get curious and don't like to make assumptions about what he did or did not say.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
20-12-2013, 11:50 AM
(20-12-2013 11:21 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  For example when he said that I was posting things that make "us" look bad,
I asked him," do you think they should be censored?"
He said "For me, no. For others, yes"
I was quite shocked. He wants to censor info.
He later explained that news posts like that "confuse the young and discourage the weak"

Oh, so special pleading, then. Awesome. I guess that's one way to protect a majority opinion. What's worse is I bet he admits it's special pleading, but doesn't care because it's FOAR JESUS!
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post