Jesus Freak friend confronted me over facebook likes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2013, 04:47 PM
RE: Jesus Freak friend confronted me over facebook likes
What people don't understand about the Duck Dynasty issue is this:
Homophobia is slowly being pushed out, if you replaced "gays" with "blacks and white marrying each other, then people would through their shit. But a long time ago people were very much against the idea.
The Duck Dynasty is hosted by a private company, who's parent company is Disney.
I can go into work and physically say what I want, but if I start making racist comments in public to customers, my employers have the 100% right to fire me. Yeah, I voiced my opinion, but there are consequences for actions, be it the bible supports his views or not, it is up to the company to set the standards. I have a feeling they told him before not to do this shit, and he still did it. If they don't want him representing his company, they can fire him.
Put it to your friend like this:
If I owned a small TV show, and my star on it was making anti jew remarks and racist remarks about black people, he's the face of my company and he's offending people and hurting *my* personal credibility. He can say whatever the fuck he wants, but I'm not racist, nor is my show/company. I do not want my company to be associated for such a thing, so he's gotta go.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
20-12-2013, 06:33 PM
(20-12-2013 04:31 PM)thedudette Wrote:  What did the guy from Duck Dynasty say?
Here's the article from GQ:
http://www.gq.com/entertainment/televisi...-robertson
Here's what happened after:
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/de...ck-dynasty

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
20-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Here's the convo
[Image: convo.jpg]

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
20-12-2013, 08:30 PM
He doesn't know that you are agnostic/atheist. If you previously identified as Christian and changed, he didn't get the memo. If you 'out' yourself to others, then I would 'out' yourself to him. Seems disingenuous not to.

do unto others.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
20-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Did he answer the "what makes you think I'm not being myself" part?
20-12-2013, 09:10 PM
He seems to have a good handle on the pitfalls of fb. He's probably a bright guy who's never felt directly challenged on his beliefs. ... if you think the conversation would be productive, tell him your stance. If not, no rush mate. You don't answer to anyone but yourself and the people you've committed to.

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
20-12-2013, 09:32 PM
(20-12-2013 08:30 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  He doesn't know that you are agnostic/atheist. If you previously identified as Christian and changed, he didn't get the memo. If you 'out' yourself to others, then I would 'out' yourself to him. Seems disingenuous not to.

do unto others.

I just became an atheist two months ago. I haven't told much of my family, granted they are back in my home country or in the US (i live in Canada) I haven't told my sister and my mother. I just don't find a good way to do it. I told my family that lives here in Toronto, and it was a bit contentious. I'm in a bit of an argument with my mother and I'm not speaking to her for the way she treats me and my wife. I dont want her to find out by someone else on fb.

But then sometimes I do want to post it on FB. The issue is that I was such an outspoken christian before I don't want to deal with all the bs and snickering from other christians about my deconversion. I dont know what to do.

20-12-2013, 09:37 PM
(20-12-2013 09:32 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(20-12-2013 08:30 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  He doesn't know that you are agnostic/atheist. If you previously identified as Christian and changed, he didn't get the memo. If you 'out' yourself to others, then I would 'out' yourself to him. Seems disingenuous not to.

do unto others.

I just became an atheist two months ago. I haven't told much of my family, granted they are back in my home country or in the US (i live in Canada) I haven't told my sister and my mother. I just don't find a good way to do it. I told my family that lives here in Toronto, and it was a bit contentious. I'm in a bit of an argument with my mother and I'm not speaking to her for the way she treats me and my wife. I dont want her to find out by someone else on fb.

But then sometimes I do want to post it on FB. The issue is that I was such an outspoken christian before I don't want to deal with all the bs and snickering from other christians about my deconversion. I dont know what to do.

That is a tough spot to be in. In my family it isn't an issue, most of the family are atheists. My in-laws would be hounding me day and night if they knew. They have always had their doubts, I've just never confirmed it for them because I didn't want the hassle. And now, I'm not fully out here because I live in North Carolina and my children attend a small school. I don't want them to be singled out by classmates.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
20-12-2013, 09:39 PM
(20-12-2013 08:31 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Did he answer the "what makes you think I'm not being myself" part?

Sort of. Here's what happened after I asked that:

Sebaz: All I'm saying is this: is Facebook. If you're like me then I'm sure you don't take it serious.
Sebaz: And the people that do are not worth dealing with
Me: I don't you're right
Sebaz: Huh?
Me: I don't take it seriously but why would you want to only give one side of the story. I try robe as fair as possible and as objective as possible
Sebaz: Because is Facebook!!! You don't know who your audience is. And because is Facebook why take it seriously. Make people think at church, at a rally, at college, over coffee, at dinner but not in a social site where you don't see people eye to eye and they judge you and are only there to like our rant
Me: How am I ranting?
Sebaz: Not you people, heck I'm ranting! I'm just sick of exactly that, waste effort over a social site save the knowledge for those who SEEK it, if you give people the "two sides of the story" without them asking for it it just gives undeniably room for ranting, arguing, debating all fit people to see. Facebook leaves us exposed and often doesn't make us look pretty
Me: Why is being exposed bad? Would you rather cover up the truth?
Sebaz: Is not covering up anything. Is being wise when to make people think Abbs when you're just casting your pearls to the swine. And either way do you REALLY think people need you to see both sides of the coin? Trust me even I was covering up people will still find out. There was a guy who actually was flawless and people still found a way to make him guilty and crucify him.
Sebaz: My point is this. Jesús needed to be crucified not you save yourself for when it matters don't waste your mind on Facebook is for the sheep (bad context)
Me: Ok
(I was at work)
Sebas: :Thumbsup:
Sebaz: Just saying bro hope I didn't offend you I just honestly lost my faith on people's intellect especially the ones on Facebook, someday we will need you to speak in front of leaders, presidents but not in front of these
Me: I wasn't offended
Me: I just think that you make assumptions that are a little odd
Me: But its cool
Sebaz: Maybe it was my experience only our my vendetta with social media my bad

[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
20-12-2013, 09:46 PM
(20-12-2013 09:10 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  He seems to have a good handle on the pitfalls of fb. He's probably a bright guy who's never felt directly challenged on his beliefs. ... if you think the conversation would be productive, tell him your stance. If not, no rush mate. You don't answer to anyone but yourself and the people you've committed to.

He's a bright guy, and i know for a fact he's felt directly challenged.
Here's why:
He's a Ray Comfort pupil. He does the soap box preaching. The "are you a good person?" test. Preaching on the train, Times Square, you name it. Heck I even did some with him when I lived in NY. Plus it's NY it's not exactly the bible belt.

As for answering, I'm not quite ready to announce it to the world. If my wife thought I was a different person for two weeks after I told her, and even contemplated divorce, and I live with the woman, she knows I am the same person and now we have a great relationship. I can't imagine what my friends in the US are going to think of me.

Althought I was thinking of dropping it to everyone on Xmas as a present of sorts. I dunno.