Jesus' Method of Execution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Jesus' Method of Execution
I was watching the finale of The Bible tonight, and for the first hour, Jesus' crucifixion is depicted. As I was watching, I began to reflect on my former faith as a Jehovah's Witness and the method by which Jesus - if he existed at all - would have been executed.

According to JW doctrine, Jesus was not nailed to a cross. They maintain that he was nailed to a "torture stake" (or "upright tree"); which is simply an upright stake in the ground - minus the cross-section for the arms.

[Image: jw_torture_stake_fp_06.jpg]

According to mainstream Christian tradition, however, Jesus was killed on the widely-recognized crucifix that we're so familiar with today.

Let's say - purely in a hypothetical sense - that Jesus existed and was executed. Which of the two methods (or any others) would have been the most likely to be used? Would he have been nailed to a cross or to a torture stake?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2013, 08:25 PM
RE: Jesus' Method of Execution
(31-03-2013 08:16 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I was watching the finale of The Bible tonight, and for the first hour, Jesus' crucifixion is depicted. As I was watching, I began to reflect on my former faith as a Jehovah's Witness and the method by which Jesus - if he existed at all - would have been executed.

According to JW doctrine, Jesus was not nailed to a cross. They maintain that he was nailed to a "torture stake" (or "upright tree"); which is simply an upright stake in the ground - minus the cross-section for the arms.

[Image: jw_torture_stake_fp_06.jpg]

According to mainstream Christian tradition, however, Jesus was killed on the widely-recognized crucifix that we're so familiar with today.

Let's say - purely in a hypothetical sense - that Jesus existed and was executed. Which of the two methods (or any others) would have been the most likely to be used? Would he have been nailed to a cross or to a torture stake?
According to the History Channel, Roman executions at that time were done on a kind of T-shaped cross (I guess that's not technically a cross), with the top post being hoisted up upon the main post by way of a hoist with the crucified already either tied or nailed to it, depending on the whim of the executioner. The feet were then likely nailed to the main post. There was often a whipping before hand.

My boyfriend joked that it looked a lot like how I describe my average workday. But my average workday was nothing like what was described on the History Channel. Now one of my tougher workdays... maybe.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Katiegal's post
31-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Makes me nuts that there are people that freak completely out over reading one of the old fairy tales to a kid. It will scar them, they are too violent. Hmmm....wolves eats grandma, witch wants to cook Hansel and Gretel, poisoned apples from jealous stepmother, another jealous stepmother turns stepdaughter into a slave. No scary movies, no violent video games, monitor the TV that's watched. However, reading the Bible stories in all their horror is a perfectly fine activity for even the youngest of children...'cause it's divinely inspired by God.

Pick a side, any freakin' side.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
31-03-2013, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2013 09:41 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I think the Roman historians said they employed both methods during the seige and occupation of Jerusalem. So who knows. The one thing they always get wrong, as Fulton pointed out a few weeks ago, was that they were always naked. They always get that wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion
He was a common trouble maker. There was no trial. Certainly they made that part up. It was Passover weekend. The Jewish authorities would never have been involved in a trial of a nobody on Passover weekend.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Jesus was shot in the chest with a .40 S&W fired from a Glock 27.

I know it's the truth 'cause I got FAITH and it's in my version of the gospel that I wrote...

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 4 users Like Phaedrus's post
31-03-2013, 11:18 PM
(31-03-2013 08:25 PM)Katiegal Wrote:  According to the History Channel, Roman executions at that time were done on a kind of T-shaped cross (I guess that's not technically a cross), with the top post being hoisted up upon the main post by way of a hoist with the crucified already either tied or nailed to it, depending on the whim of the executioner. The feet were then likely nailed to the main post. There was often a whipping before hand.

I have heard that exact same thing which makes complete sense. These were the Romans after all, they were damn good at construction and engineering, so why would they have these huge crosses that required several men to stand and place into the ground? This type of execution was a very common and it only makes sense that they would make it efficient, hence strapping the executee to a single piece of wood and placing that atop a fixed post.

The funny part is, of course, that Christian iconography is historically inaccurate.

Additionally, it's my understanding that the victim's arms were always tied to this board. The anatomic structure of the hand can not support enough body weight if they merely nailed them only. The poor bastard would simply fall off after his hands ripped from the nails.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
01-04-2013, 12:56 AM
The crucifixion wiki has some great info on the subject! Of course, they mention Jebus but I found a lot of the other stuff much more interesting and relatable.

Under Ancient Practice:
Despite the fact that the ancient Jewish historian Josephus, as well as other sources, refers to the crucifixion of thousands of people by the Romans, there is only a single archaeological discovery of a crucified body dating back to the Roman Empire around the time of Jesus. This was discovered in Jerusalem in 1968. It is not necessarily surprising that there is only one such discovery, because a crucified body was usually left to decay on the cross and therefore would not be preserved. The only reason these archaeological remains were preserved was because family members gave this particular individual a customary burial.

Then there is further description of the body of that one poor schmuck. So sad. Undecided

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
01-04-2013, 01:05 AM
(31-03-2013 11:18 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  These were the Romans after all, they were damn good at construction and engineering, so why would they have these huge crosses that required several men to stand and place into the ground? This type of execution was a very common and it only makes sense that they would make it efficient, hence strapping the executee to a single piece of wood and placing that atop a fixed post.

The one guy they found to have been crucified, they think was crucified quite low to the ground: The point of the nail had olive wood fragments on it indicating that he was crucified on a cross made of olive wood or on an olive tree. Since olive trees are not very tall, this would suggest that the condemned was crucified at eye level.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
01-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Quote:According to mainstream Christian tradition, however, Jesus was killed on the widely-recognized crucifix that we're so familiar with today.

Mainline scholars agree that Jesus was an historical person who was executed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

1. The cross makes more sense and is very prominent in type and shadow in the HB.

2. Note carefully that the Jews ultimately wanted the Romans to crucify Jesus as the HB says those who are impaled on a tree are cursed by God. Jesus fulfilled prophecy and was cursed for our sake.
01-04-2013, 07:14 AM
(01-04-2013 06:54 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Mainline scholars agree that Jesus was an historical person who was executed:

See children?

See this poor wretched specimen?

This is what happens to you if you start mainlining christianity.

Sadcryface

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post