Jesus' Method of Execution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2013, 11:31 AM
RE: Jesus' Method of Execution
(31-03-2013 11:18 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Additionally, it's my understanding that the victim's arms were always tied to this board. The anatomic structure of the hand can not support enough body weight if they merely nailed them only. The poor bastard would simply fall off after his hands ripped from the nails.

That's my understanding as well. Because of that, no doubt, I have seen Jesus' crucifixion being depicted by some as both nailed through the hands and tied between the wrist and elbow. How convenient. Dodgy

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2013, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 07:02 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
01-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Quote:Funny, a religious scholar recently tried to claim that since Jn mentions wounds to the hands that this somehow makes the account "historical." Boy does not know his anatomy!

Because of that mistake by Jn we have the tradition of nailing through the hands. Since it has been clear how impossible that would be, you get more modern depictions with nails and tying the arms to the cross--because the Romans were that inefficient!
You have excellent knowledge of Hebrew but seem unaware that the word in Psalm 22 can mean, "hand and wrist" area. Jesus was crucified through the space of destot in His wrists--as depicted on the Shroud of Turin. HOW DO YOU SUPPOSE the 14th century forger got that anatomical detail correct?
01-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-04-2013, 08:27 PM
(01-04-2013 12:32 PM)Doctor X Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 11:31 AM)Impulse Wrote:  That's my understanding as well. Because of that, no doubt, I have seen Jesus' crucifixion being depicted by some as both nailed through the hands and tied between the wrist and elbow. How convenient. Dodgy

Funny, a religious scholar recently tried to claim that since Jn mentions wounds to the hands that this somehow makes the account "historical." Boy does not know his anatomy!

Because of that mistake by Jn we have the tradition of nailing through the hands. Since it has been clear how impossible that would be, you get more modern depictions with nails and tying the arms to the cross--because the Romans were that inefficient!

--J.D.

I found this on http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7291066/#.UVpBinBTPnY:

"Although the case of Jehohanan showed that victims' feet were nailed, what about the hands? In the Gospel of John, the apostle Thomas refers to the nail holes in Jesus' hands. In the 1930s, experiments conducted with cadavers led researcher Pierre Barbet to conclude that nails driven through the palms of the hands could not have supported the weight of the arms and upper body —and that the nails were more likely driven through the wrists, which would have lent more support."

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
01-04-2013, 08:30 PM
(01-04-2013 01:49 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Jesus was crucified through the space of destot in His wrists--as depicted on the Shroud of Turin.

Just learned something new = Destot's Space
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http...wBQ&dur=80

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
01-04-2013, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 07:02 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
01-04-2013, 10:53 PM
(01-04-2013 01:05 AM)kim Wrote:  
(31-03-2013 11:18 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  These were the Romans after all, they were damn good at construction and engineering, so why would they have these huge crosses that required several men to stand and place into the ground? This type of execution was a very common and it only makes sense that they would make it efficient, hence strapping the executee to a single piece of wood and placing that atop a fixed post.

The one guy they found to have been crucified, they think was crucified quite low to the ground: The point of the nail had olive wood fragments on it indicating that he was crucified on a cross made of olive wood or on an olive tree. Since olive trees are not very tall, this would suggest that the condemned was crucified at eye level.

It was also bent at the pointy end, so had gone through the heel bone and hit something hard. This was probably why it was still in the bone.

The Romans often used olive trees as crucfixes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2013, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 11:36 PM by Julius.)
Good thing he wasn't crucified by Shaka Zulu - who would have just driven a stake up his arse. Now wouldn't that have been embarasing? Instead of the cross, the Xtian symbol would have been the toothpick.

[/align]

Here's a crucifixtion from feudal Japan using a "Double Cross".

[Image: beato-felice-1835-1906-united-execution-...197585.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Julius's post
01-04-2013, 11:37 PM
(31-03-2013 08:16 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I was watching the finale of The Bible tonight, and for the first hour, Jesus' crucifixion is depicted. As I was watching, I began to reflect on my former faith as a Jehovah's Witness and the method by which Jesus - if he existed at all - would have been executed.

According to JW doctrine, Jesus was not nailed to a cross. They maintain that he was nailed to a "torture stake" (or "upright tree"); which is simply an upright stake in the ground - minus the cross-section for the arms.

[Image: jw_torture_stake_fp_06.jpg]

According to mainstream Christian tradition, however, Jesus was killed on the widely-recognized crucifix that we're so familiar with today.

Let's say - purely in a hypothetical sense - that Jesus existed and was executed. Which of the two methods (or any others) would have been the most likely to be used? Would he have been nailed to a cross or to a torture stake?

Crucifixion was a widly practiced form of torture and capital punishment at that time. It was used by the Medes, Persians, Greeks, Carthaginians, and Romans in one form or another.

Crucifixion is a form of impalment. Exactly what form crucifixion took is a matter of speculation. Some cases vary depending on the cruelty of the executioners. Josephus reports that during the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD, the Romans nailed Jewish rebels to the city walls in creative poses for their amusement.

Death by the cross was a form of public terror employed by the Romans in the outer edges of the empire. The message of an unfortunate man or woman, stripped naked and nailed to a cross was very clear: Challenge the authority of Ceasar and you will meet a grisly end. At the end of the Third Servile War, 6,000 of Spartacus' followers were crucified by the Roman Legions under Crassus along the Appian Way from Rome to Capua, the crossed laid out like telephone poles along the road. It was engineered to be a brutal, prolonged, humiliating, and dishonorable ordeal. Victims of the cross could take several days to die. The bodies were not removed afterwards and left to rot, as it was believed that doing so prevented the prisoner's soul ever being laid to rest, forcing it to aimlessly wander the earth in eternal torment.

We have a pretty good idea of how the Roman form of crucifixion was carried out. The condemned was usually flogged using a flagella whip, then forced to carry the crossbeam to the execution site. Once there he was stripped of his clothes and his wrists nailed to either end of the crossbeam. The nails used were standard Roman military nails, with a spacer made of olive wood placed between the nail head and wrist to prevent the criminal from freeing himself. It's also possible that the nail wound was cauterized afterwards to prevent the victim from escaping his torments by bleeding out. The crossbeam was then hoisted up and affixed to an permanent upright post used for that purpose. It could have been a single post or a series arranged in an 'execution scaffold' as shown in the Jesus of Nazareth movie. The legs were then either tied to the stake or nailed through the anklebones. Often times a sign would be placed above the cross listing the victims name and his crime against the state. The victim was then left to hang until dead, watched over by a squad of soldiers. The general cause of death by crucufixion is believed to be suffocation ie the victim becomes too exhausted to continue to draw breath. Death could also be hastened by breaking the victim's legs using a club or a hammer, causing the victim to suffocate quicker.

Again crucifixion took many forms, depending on the culture. The Greeks had a method of torture called 'nailing to planks', some victims were just tied or nailed to trees and abandoned, crosses could have been T or X or Y - shaped

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post