Jesus>Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Jesus>Religion
A poetic way to try and separate the bad from the good?

What do you guys think about it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2012, 06:44 PM
RE: Jesus>Religion
I was just about to start a thread about this video, beat me to it. A bunch of my friends and I have shared it on facebook.

I think it's a great video but I'm also curious to hear what atheists think about it.

Also, what's your opinion on it ElectricEthan?

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
11-01-2012, 06:48 PM
It's art. Beyond that, it is artifice.

The Who>Jesus>Religion. There we go. *fixed.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-01-2012, 07:06 PM
(11-01-2012 06:44 PM)Sharks9 Wrote:  I was just about to start a thread about this video, beat me to it. A bunch of my friends and I have shared it on facebook.

I think it's a great video but I'm also curious to hear what atheists think about it.

Also, what's your opinion on it ElectricEthan?

I don't really know what he's saying, to be honest. What is he classifying religion as? Last I checked, it's a byproduct of people calling themselves prophets or the son of God, and then people try and interpret the teachings of those people and live a pious existence.

As an atheist, I never had and never will need the "teachings" of Jesus to be a good person. I don't need to tell myself I'm a sinner, in order to be humble or try to be better. I know what hurts people, and I know what makes them feel good. I live by my own rules, which most of the time fall in line with the rules that others live by.

So basically, it sounds like he's saying, "Love Jesus and not religion, because religion isn't what he wanted!" Really? Well, he wasn't very good at considering the consequences of his actions, I would think.
[+] 2 users Like ElectricEthan's post
11-01-2012, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2012 07:50 PM by free2011.)
He's voicing what I hear from a lot of my friends who want to distance themselves from the ridiculous things in the Bible but still want to believe. Many of the messages attributed to the to the "Jesus" character are no doubt worth following. But you might as well say I like what Dr. Seuss says about this or that so that's what I'm going to do. Still doesn't make the stories true.

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

*Ooh, I found my new signature

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
[+] 1 user Likes free2011's post
11-01-2012, 07:34 PM
(11-01-2012 07:06 PM)ElectricEthan Wrote:  I don't really know what he's saying, to be honest. What is he classifying religion as? Last I checked, it's a byproduct of people calling themselves prophets or the son of God, and then people try and interpret the teachings of those people and live a pious existence.

As an atheist, I never had and never will need the "teachings" of Jesus to be a good person. I don't need to tell myself I'm a sinner, in order to be humble or try to be better. I know what hurts people, and I know what makes them feel good. I live by my own rules, which most of the time fall in line with the rules that others live by.

So basically, it sounds like he's saying, "Love Jesus and not religion, because religion isn't what he wanted!" Really? Well, he wasn't very good at considering the consequences of his actions, I would think.

I think he's talking about how there are a lot of religious hypocrites who do things for outward appearances like going to Church, praying, singing loudly during worship etc. But we should be more focused on following Jesus by helping the poor, being kind to others, etc.

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
11-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I was just joking but look what I found. Praise be to Seuss

http://www.creativebiblestudy.com/Dr-Seuss-books.html

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
[+] 2 users Like free2011's post
11-01-2012, 07:44 PM
What a steaming heap of equivocation. When he speaks about Jesus, he's not talking about Jesus Christ (it doesn't make sense in the context of a person) but rather "my own personal brand of worshipping Jesus", which of course excludes everyone else's brand that he labels "religion".

My parents still don't consider themselves "religious", and they still quip this definition of religion (man searching for God) which doesn't seem to be backed up by the dictionary. "God searching for man" doesn't make sense either - in your belief, an all-knowing and all-powerful God is the one who needs help in his search... by teaching those who are being searched for how to find God? It's just a play on words that doesn't mean anything below surface-level. In my parents' case they claim they're not searching for God because they've "already found God", which is another way of saying that their belief isn't a belief because they're really sure. And I'm really sure that they haven't invested a lot of thought into this. Would they be convinced by a Muslim who says he's already found Allah? How about if he "knew" that he'd already found him?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Starcrash's post
11-01-2012, 08:29 PM
This has been spamming my Facebook also. It bears the motto that I hear most of my Christian friends say; I love Jesus, not religion.

One thing I thought is that Jesus didn't necessarily try to put an end to religion. I remember a verse (citation appreciated) saying that he came to fufill the prophecy of the law. This sounds to me more like man's attempt to fufill miracles that were expected from God but never came true. I recommend reading Buddy Christ's Bible critique if anyone hasn't already. Tongue It was inspiring.

Another interesting thing is that he said we are no longer slaves with Christ. Ironically, I do remember (again, I need citation) a verse claiming that we are not slaves to sin, but now slaves to righteousness. And isn't righteousness truely man's attempt to be moral since the Bible claims that we are all evil regardless?

Sounds like religion to me; you are a slave to your belief that you must set a good example and live a good life (by following Christ in this case.) Meanwhile, free thinking is considered evil. And we should spread this message to everyone, regardless of if they care to hear it or not. Whatever you want to call it; a relationship, following the truth, etc., it is still living life while trying to fit a moral code. (A.K.A. religion)

Nice rhyming though. xD
11-01-2012, 08:57 PM
(11-01-2012 08:29 PM)Dynastes Wrote:  This has been spamming my Facebook also. It bears the motto that I hear most of my Christian friends say; I love Jesus, not religion.

One thing I thought is that Jesus didn't necessarily try to put an end to religion. I remember a verse (citation appreciated) saying that he came to fufill the prophecy of the law. This sounds to me more like man's attempt to fufill miracles that were expected from God but never came true. I recommend reading Buddy Christ's Bible critique if anyone hasn't already. Tongue It was inspiring.

Another interesting thing is that he said we are no longer slaves with Christ. Ironically, I do remember (again, I need citation) a verse claiming that we are not slaves to sin, but now slaves to righteousness. And isn't righteousness truely man's attempt to be moral since the Bible claims that we are all evil regardless?

Sounds like religion to me; you are a slave to your belief that you must set a good example and live a good life (by following Christ in this case.) Meanwhile, free thinking is considered evil. And we should spread this message to everyone, regardless of if they care to hear it or not. Whatever you want to call it; a relationship, following the truth, etc., it is still living life while trying to fit a moral code. (A.K.A. religion)

Nice rhyming though. xD

Romans 6:15-19
Quote:15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! 16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. 19 I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel