Jesus>Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2012, 09:04 PM
RE: Jesus>Religion
Jesus and religion are inseparable. Any attempt to do so is either purposely disingenuous or (perhaps innocently) delusional. I know because I once felt I could separate the two, but you cannot and at the same time believe the Bible fully.

In addition, I'll comment by pasting part of one of my blog posts here:

The entire Hate Religion; Love Jesus idea, one I propagated and claimed to believe when I was a Christian, exists mostly because of a push back against legalism or perceived emptiness within Christianity. It tries to push the idea that the relationship with God is somewhat separate from everything else, or at least far more important. It tries to distance those who believe they have a relationship with God, from those that go through the motions or are all about rules/laws (such as the Pharisees).

Religion in the sense of this idea, has been re-defined to represent the legalistic or Pharisaical attitude. So it’s really not an oxymoron when you break it down. Christians aren’t saying here that they don’t follow a religion, they’re just saying that they see themselves as “genuine” vs. “religious”.

On a tangential note: I fucking hate smart quotes.

"Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick, and choose wisely." — Sam Harris

"There is no goddamn god, goddamn it."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2012, 10:05 PM
(16-01-2012 09:04 PM)w0rmwood Wrote:  Jesus and religion are inseparable. Any attempt to do so is either purposely disingenuous or (perhaps innocently) delusional.

Christians aren’t saying here that they don’t follow a religion, they’re just saying that they see themselves as “genuine” vs. “religious”.

Christians do not see themselves are religious. Religion is a human construct. Jesus is a personal savior and the personal relationship transposes anything remotely called a religion. This is a simple case of mass hysteria. Bi-Weekly church services is an affirmation that what they believe is true because so many others have the same belief.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
16-01-2012, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2012 11:22 PM by w0rmwood.)
Video removed.
Just found out "The Amazing Atheist" on YouTube said some awful things about a recent gay teen suicide. I am appalled and will no longer link any of his videos anywhere.

"Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick, and choose wisely." — Sam Harris

17-01-2012, 12:18 AM
(16-01-2012 10:54 PM)w0rmwood Wrote:  Video removed.
Just found out "The Amazing Atheist" on YouTube said some awful things about a recent gay teen suicide. I am appalled and will no longer link any of his videos anywhere.

GASP! You're appalled? People who commit suicide are pussies. You should leave this website too, because it's associated with me now. Btw, if you want to actually watch the video and see why he says what he says...HERE!

17-01-2012, 12:33 AM
(17-01-2012 12:18 AM)ElectricEthan Wrote:  People who commit suicide are pussies.

You never been in a place where you contemplated it?
17-01-2012, 01:26 AM
Did the intelligence of Atheism drop a few numbers? I never liked the amazing atheist idiot. Always saw him as a boring ranter that mostly made Atheists look like fools rather than intelligent beings. Of course not all Atheists are smart and I shouldn't think that way.

Now I don't believe you can force anyone off this site unless they become what Abdelz was. A tragic case that involved a lot of curse words and a lack of spell check. I believe Wormwood has the right to be among us.

Also, I believe you barely have the right to judge anyone. Don't become like a theist and make assumptions on any human.

If you truly believe those people who commit suicide are female genitalia than do all these people who chose to fall to their death instead of being incinerated count as that?(Be warned, it is tragic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcC6bTHosx0)

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
17-01-2012, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2012 05:04 PM by w0rmwood.)
Oh, I'm here to say. No amount of ignorance can cause me to leave. Thank the universe for ignore lists.

The amazing atheist is a dumbfuck that gives atheists a bad name. Even with the addition of the video above. He and others are doing an incredible disservice to those suffering from psychological problems and the gay community and other teens who are often bullied.

To call suicide cowardly is to not understand the gravity of the situation. It is at its very least, an unintelligent assessment of a psychological problem. Until you've been in the mind of someone who has contemplated suicide, you will not understand, and if you have been there and you still believe this you're as delusional as a devout religious person, except your delusion is in your dismissal of human suffering and the psychological effects of bullying and ostracism. Calling it cowardly and refusing the mourn those we lose to suicide is heartless.

Further more, to use a derogatory term, far more insulting than "coward" and somewhat reinforcing of gender roles puts on clear display your complete lack of compassion for the well-being of others and an utmost disrespect for homosexuals. I would commonly expect such disregard from fundamentalist Christians or nut-job conservatives like Rush or Beck. Can we avoid stooping to their level? Obviously not, I forgot, it's the internet, and it's full of shit.

[+] 3 users Like w0rmwood's post
17-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I don't care for the Amazing Atheist because he's obnoxious. His earlier vid had some good points (the one linked earlier about the Jesus>Religion video). But he apparently thinks those who commit suicide are cowards, and he's got an entire playlist that is anti-feminism. Admittedly I haven't watched any of them so I don't know how what he actually says in them, but his style is enough that I don't care to find out. Anyway, his videos are an entirely new topic for a thread of its own I think.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
17-01-2012, 05:34 PM
I agree. The Amazing Atheist is a nuicance. I only subscribed so I could see how many people actually like his crap videos.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
17-01-2012, 05:51 PM
(17-01-2012 12:18 AM)ElectricEthan Wrote:  
(16-01-2012 10:54 PM)w0rmwood Wrote:  Video removed.

GASP! You're appalled? People who commit suicide are pussies. You should leave this website too, because it's associated with me now. Btw, if you want to actually watch the video and see why he says what he says...HERE!

[video]

What a douche. Even if he had a good point it would hardly matter because he communicates it in such a dickish way.

The brain is physical. It can be manipulated in ways that are completely out of the control of its consciousness and will. If people who commit suicide after being bullied aren't victims, people who die from murder aren't victims. They're pussies who weren't strong enough to fend off their attackers, by his logic.
[+] 2 users Like Ben's post