Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2012, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2012 07:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Jesus>Religion
(17-01-2012 07:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  If you have never seriously and rationally considered suicide yourself, you should just shut the fuck up because you have no fucking clue as to what you're talking about.

(18-01-2012 05:30 AM)Godless Wrote:  That and don't tell people to stfu unless you know for a fact that they have no clue.

Your parse of my post seems to have either missed or discounted the antecedent of my implication.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2012, 11:04 AM
I wish I hadn't been part of the death-cult of Christianity in my childhood. But unfortunately, I was raised by a devoutly religious parent. I understand her reasons for faith, but I believe that it was involuntary child abuse. I know it wasn't my mother's fault. I think my life would have been better without it, definitely. 
I have always been short of a deep thinker, even as a very young child. My mother taught me that God created a place for the people who chose to follow him and also a place where non-believers go. My mother never really gave me the details on Hell, the preachers did that. But even then I thought about what that meant. It meant that some would suffer forever and that scared me greatly. At the same time though, I didn't really like the idea of being stuck anywhere for all eternity, even in Heaven. Heaven is to said to have great walls around it (a big cosmic retirement home for souls) and then a new Earth after Christ's return.  An infinite lifespan in an finite environment would suck and that was in the back of my mind as a kid, I guess. Eternity is a very long time and trying to wrap my head around it as a child was very hard. Still is. Even though Heaven is supposed to be perfect and there isn't supposed to be anymore pain, I think even then , I understood that that would strip me of my humanity. Humans have different emotions at times and the only way to make being conscious for eternity bearable is for God to wipe all the memories of "lost" friends and family and make you a happy robot. So not only did the idea of being a happy robot soul scare me, the thought of countless millions burning forever scared me. 

Fear is the reason I began researching to show myself that Christianity is a ridiculous belief system. I now know just how much craziness is actually in the Bible. It's full of murder, rape , slavery, etc. I'm convinced that most people who call themselves Christian have never read the Bible cover to cover. It is not something that a truly intellectually honest person could  believe in, IMO. It has a story of a talking donkey for Christ's sake and many other crazy stories.

Christian dogma tells people they are crap until they ask for forgiveness. It tells us we have no morals until God gives them to us. It tell us that prayer can move mountains and cure disease. Lies.  It scares people into following. Hell is blackmail of the soul. 

Who would follow the Bible, if there were no threat of being burned in a lake of fire for eternity? Not many would, I think.

You don't need religion to be a good person and morals certainly don't come from religion. 

Christianity is a death-cult. That is all it's about, death and the here-after. 

Some Christians say they live as Christ would live. But they must forget about what Jesus says in the Bible about taking no thought for the morrow. The Bible says Jesus would return soon, it's been 2000 years and still no Jesus. 

Christians must believe in a soon to be realized global apocalypse. They believe that most will not go to heaven. That Christ's feet will be covered in the blood of the wicked,that would include all people who's only real crime was having faith in another religion, after Armageddon. 

This shows the ignorance of the God the Bible. A God who claims to be  Omnibenevolent but also a "jealous God". A god who orders the murders of entire peoples. 

Christians try to find ways to justify those atrocities. They can't be. Ordering your army to kill infants and little children is an absolutely horrible thing.

If a community of sane people would see the torture and attempted execution of a crazy man who thought he was God today, I believe those people would do everything to try and stop the murder of an innocent man. So it looks like men of science have more morals than primitive people who held superstition. 

Christianity teaches that human sacrifice is ok, or at least the killing of one man was. Stupid.  
23-01-2012, 04:55 PM
I finally broke down and watched the whole thing, not impressed. He does describe in his notes below that he is arguing against "false religion." I don't know what is any different about "false" religion and religion but whatever. The fact that he starts off by implying that all republicans are evil is pretty damning to begin with. Of course, no one will care about that and as the comments below show, all the religious fanatics love it, despite the fact that they probably have no idea what he is talking about and that they don't see any hate in this video or bias.

23-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Interesting thoughts on suicide. Personally I find myself on the side of the amazing atheist Although not quite as extreme.
Following the words of MacBeth " I will not play the roman fool" and have always thought of it as giving up. But I will admit I have never understood suicide as I have never contemplated it in any sense of depression. Yes I have thought about killing myself but in the same way I have though about having super powers. Also I have never been bullied. So I have no real knowledge of it.

Here are some interesting statistics
24.5% of suicides happen on a Wednesday almost twice that of any other day
94% of those who fail do not attempt it again

P.S. I also agree with his points on feminism but that's more because I am a chauvinist

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc