Jesus, Yeshua, Joshua, and Isaiah are "essentially" the same thing

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
23-03-2013, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2013 09:03 PM by Buddy Christ.)
Jesus, Yeshua, Joshua, and Isaiah are "essentially" the same thing
I stumbled unto this christianity.about article:

"He is correct in saying Yeshua is the Hebrew name for the Lord. It means "Yahweh [the Lord] is Salvation." The English spelling of Yeshua is “Joshua.” However, when translated from Hebrew into the Greek language, the name Yeshua becomes Iēsous. The English spelling for Iēsous is “Jesus.”

Basically, what this means is Joshua and Jesus are the same name. One is translated from Hebrew into English, the other from Greek into English. It is also interesting to note, the names "Joshua" and "Isaiah" are essentially the same names as Yeshua in Hebrew. They mean "Savior" and "the salvation of the Lord." "

Is any of this accurate? If you can get 3 different names from 1 just from translating to Greek, it hardly seems like "translating." Seems more like "guessing." Greek wasn't spoken by a different species, we should be able to translate close enough to represent the same meanings. I never understood name translations anyways. Even in Freshman Spanish I when I was told my "Spanish name" was Humberto... I was like, "No, my Spanish name would still be Brian." If people called Jesus "Yeshua," how would that translate to a different sounding word? Names don't have meanings. They are sound effects. I don't know how you can claim that "3" and "17" are essentially the same numbers, unless you're just trying to satisfy a certain "prophecy."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
25-03-2013, 06:46 AM
RE: Jesus, Yeshua, Joshua, and Isaiah are "essentially" the same thing
Because we're not talking about Greek only but Hebrew.
*"Yehoshua" - Hebrew Joshua = God saves.
*Y'shua (Iesous) Greek Jesus = God is Savior.
*Yeshayyahu - Hebrew Isaiah = God's salvation/God is generous.
25-03-2013, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:15 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
25-03-2013, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 03:36 AM by Bucky Ball.)
As usual, LyingYetSexuallyPleasingButIncrediblyIgnorantJebusTrollJoke is wrong.

The Greek alphabet can only approximate certain sounds made in other languages. It is not possible to translate the Hebrew name Yehoshua from Hebrew to Greek, and Greek is lacking some of the sounds which Hebrew has. There is no Greek word that starts with a "ye" sound. So it had to be changed to something. Also Greek never has an "h" sound in the middle of a word, as it sounds funny to their ears, so they would omit that syllable. Greek also never says "sh", but says "s" instead, and with the "os" it makes it a masculine noun.

In Hebrew the name has several meanings. Just as it did not mean or have anything to do with a "savior" in Greek, it was a derived from the archaic Hebrew word which means "to rescue", or "to deliver". In the Second Temple period, they used commonly the word or name יֵשׁוּעַ . In general it was a contraction of the full name "Joshua". The name Joshua was usually used in the post-Exilic period (Ezra, Nehemiah, and Chronicles) and was also seen frequently in the Dead Sea Scrolls. The attempted "concordance" (in order to MAKE Matthew appear to use the play on the name "savior" is a well known piece of attempted linguistic fraud by fundies). (Of course it was never the function of a "messiah" to save anyone from their sins, and it represents a far more advanced Xtian theological development, than the early First Century, which proves that the gospel(s) was/were cooked up much later).

The name ישוע occurs in the Hebrew of the Old Testament many places, including Ezra 2:2, 2:6, 2:36, etc etc, Nehemiah 7:7, 7:11, 7:39, among other places, 1 Chronicles 24:11; and 2 Chronicles 31:15, and also in Archaic Hebrew in Ezra 5:2. In Nehemiah 8:17 this name refers to Joshua, (the son of Nun). Only later when the "Reformation" Bible translators (ca. 1625), went back to the original languages that a distinction between Jesus and Jeshua, and the other forms appeared in English. The name probably has a "theophoric" or "theophonic" implied meaning/sound, as it resembles the sound of the name for their god, יהוח (the "Tetragrammaton") YHWH. The word שׁוּעַ (shua‘) is a noun which means a "cry for help", (or crying out for help), by someone who needs to be RESCUED from danger, or a calamatous situation, NOT "SAVED FROM THEIR SINS". In summary, the name meant "shout out to Yahweh when in need of help". It has NOTHING whatever to do with a messiah, a savior, or any salvation (from sin) bullshit. What you got was the usual fundie biased altered crap, which they have spent SO many years cooking up, to MAKE IT APPEAR their fundie interpretation of the Babble makes sense.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-03-2013, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:15 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
25-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Quote:The Greek alphabet can only approximate certain sounds made in other languages. It is not possible to translate the Hebrew name Yehoshua from Hebrew to Greek, and Greek is lacking some of the sounds which Hebrew has. There is no Greek word that starts with a "ye" sound. So it had to be changed to something. Also
Greek never has an "h" sound in the middle of a word, as it sounds funny to their ears, so they would omit that sylable. Greek also never says "sh", but says "s" instead, and with the "os" it makes it a masculine noun.
1. As usual, you misrepresent what I write. "Yehoshua" was my transliteration of HEBREW, not GREEK. 2. Read Isaiah 9. The Messiah is also called Emmanuel, Prince of Peace, Mighty God, Everlasting Father. And the scriptures, as you know, tell us there is no other Savior than God. Jesus, is God, Savior, Prince and King--all in the OT before you accuse the NT authors of redacting their claims.
25-03-2013, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:15 PM by Doctor X.)

[+] 1 user Likes Doctor X's post
25-03-2013, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2013 03:44 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(25-03-2013 02:43 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:The Greek alphabet can only approximate certain sounds made in other languages. It is not possible to translate the Hebrew name Yehoshua from Hebrew to Greek, and Greek is lacking some of the sounds which Hebrew has. There is no Greek word that starts with a "ye" sound. So it had to be changed to something. Also
Greek never has an "h" sound in the middle of a word, as it sounds funny to their ears, so they would omit that sylable. Greek also never says "sh", but says "s" instead, and with the "os" it makes it a masculine noun.
1. As usual, you misrepresent what I write. "Yehoshua" was my transliteration of HEBREW, not GREEK. 2. Read Isaiah 9. The Messiah is also called Emmanuel, Prince of Peace, Mighty God, Everlasting Father. And the scriptures, as you know, tell us there is no other Savior than God. Jesus, is God, Savior, Prince and King--all in the OT before you accuse the NT authors of redacting their claims.

A divine being in Hebrew culture does not mean they were in any way equivalent to Yahweh. The "shade" that the Witch of Endor conjured was "divine". To say Jebus was god's son, meant in that culture, he was a "righteous man". There is no need for a savior, in a culture in which evil was seen as "chaos", (as proven by Buber in "Good and Evil), not as a "stain on a soul". You really are incredibly ignorant. Rudolf Bulmann, and Martin Buber and Paul Tillich agreed that Chrstianity changed the meaning of a messiah to suit their cultic aims. All the other names are later names, (except "Emmanu-el" ... GOD IS WITH US ... NOT "IS A GOD"), was a title which was applied to many, including the child in the mistaken "virgin birth" "prophesy", http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rgin+birth and (esp "Everlasting Father"). Jebus NEVER claimed he was divine. In fact the concept of "divinity" is very different, and how and when it was conferred, (or obtained), in each of the canonical gospels. The authors "redacted" EVERYTHING. They essentially made it all up to promote their cult. Again, your messiah FAILED to do THE ONE THING a messiah was supposed to do. Fail again.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
25-03-2013, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:16 PM by Doctor X.)

25-03-2013, 03:45 PM
(25-03-2013 03:31 PM)Doctor X Wrote:  You would think his brother would have objected to him claiming divinity. Of course, "whatever" the Original Message was, it was lost. I can accept it was probably eschatonic.

--J.D.

You would also think if his brother was THE ONLY human to ever "rise" from the dead, James would happened to have mentioned it in his letter. Weeping

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jesus gave up............................. 3days of his life for us Ace 24 423 21-07-2014 08:37 PM
Last Post: Minimalist
  For all of you who have accepted Jesus of Gamala! Deltabravo 17 261 21-07-2014 08:36 AM
Last Post: Mathilda
  Did Jesus commit suicide? dancefortwo 24 329 16-07-2014 02:00 PM
Last Post: Deltabravo
  What is the more likely explanation of Jesus? Deltabravo 469 6,864 13-07-2014 04:42 PM
Last Post: Jagare
  Jesus myth goodwithoutgod 654 11,840 25-06-2014 06:44 AM
Last Post: anonymous66
  There is no such thing as evil Jeremy E Walker 170 2,826 24-06-2014 07:40 AM
Last Post: Winterwolf00
  Did Jesus Exist? Or Was He a Myth? anonymous66 80 1,751 19-06-2014 02:27 AM
Last Post: Hotspur