Poll: Do you think that this discussion has merit?
Yes, it is a valuable discussion
No, it has too many holes
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Jesus and His Forgotten Tomb

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2016, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2016 12:58 PM by dancefortwo.)
RE: Jesus and His Forgotten Tomb
(02-09-2016 11:21 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 10:00 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  [Image: upper-right-heelbone-of-a-crucified-man-...BP27JF.jpg]

Shouldn't that nail be pointing in the other direction?

Well, from the looks of the rendering the nail went from the outside of the ankle, through the whole ankle bone and into the main vertical piece of wood. How do you mean "pointing in the other direction"?

Edit: I looked at the photo again. There's that little piece of wood on the outside of the ankle bone. I'm not sure about that small piece of wood, if it's something that stabilized the hammering of the nail into the lumpy ankle bone or what. The side view of the rendering has the small piece of wood on the outside of the ankle.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2016, 01:16 PM
(31-08-2016 12:45 AM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  Why the tomb wasn't able to be 100% verified and also venerated as the most important shrine in the word is beyond comprehension for any "Son of God".

The victims of Roman crucifixion were left on their crosses to have the birds peck them apart. That was actually the most humiliating thing for a Jew .. not to be burried properly. Then days later, they were dumped in common graves. There is no "tomb of Jesus". When they cooked up the gospels, the inventors either didn't know that, or preferred to write a different fiction.

Christianity did not "develop quickly". The major influence was the Roman emperor, (not Jesus). At the END of the First Century, the Jewish High Priest required the synagogues to read the "Expulsion Curses", as the members of the "Way" (sub-sect of Jews who eventually would be called Christians), were causing trouble in the synagogues. They STILL thought of themselves as Jews.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
02-09-2016, 01:17 PM
(02-09-2016 12:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 11:21 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Shouldn't that nail be pointing in the other direction?

Well, from the looks of the rendering the nail went from the outside of the ankle, through the whole ankle bone and into the main vertical piece of wood. How do you mean "pointing in the other direction"?

Edit: I looked at the photo again. There's that little piece of wood on the outside of the ankle bone. I'm not sure about that small piece of wood, if it's something that stabilized the hammering of the nail into the lumpy ankle bone or what. The side view of the rendering has the small piece of wood on the outside of the ankle.

It looks to me like the small piece of wood is there to show the relationship between the ankle and the wooden post that it is nailed to. If so, the nail needs to be going through the foot first, then into the wood but the model has it going through the wood and then the foot. If the small bit of wood was just used to hold the nail while it was being hammered then it makes sense as it is but they should have a larger wooden block on the other side of the foot.

It doesn't really matter as the point of nailing sideways instead of front-to-back was made. It just looks like a misleading model to me.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
02-09-2016, 04:48 PM
(02-09-2016 01:17 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 12:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Well, from the looks of the rendering the nail went from the outside of the ankle, through the whole ankle bone and into the main vertical piece of wood. How do you mean "pointing in the other direction"?

It looks to me like the small piece of wood is there to show the relationship between the ankle and the wooden post that it is nailed to. If so, the nail needs to be going through the foot first, then into the wood but the model has it going through the wood and then the foot. If the small bit of wood was just used to hold the nail while it was being hammered then it makes sense as it is but they should have a larger wooden block on the other side of the foot.

It doesn't really matter as the point of nailing sideways instead of front-to-back was made. It just looks like a misleading model to me.

Looks to me like the small piece of wood is on the outside of the ankle, the inside of the ankle is against the main vertical post so the nail is going through the little piece of wood on the outside, into the ankle and then into the large upright post that the body hangs on.

Anyway, this is the one and only example of a crucified individual ever to be found. If thousands of people were executed in this manner and grieving families were allowed to pull them off the cross and buy them then there should be many more examples of this in crypts and tombs. From what I read a major part of the punishment for the Romans was to crucify them and NOT allow burial. The bodies were eaten by wild dogs and buzzards, that way their soul wandered aimlessly which was further punishment. I can't remember where I read this.

02-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Here's maybe a better reconstruction of how it might have gone down.....so to speak.

[Image: Copy_of_Copy_of_foot.jpg]

There's a little piece of wood on the outside of the ankle. It almost looks like a sort of a washer. Anyway, a few christian web sites are all a-twitter over this. And isn't it funny how artists have always depicted Jesus' feet crossed over and a single nail driven through both feet. One artist must have had it in his head that this was the way it was done and every artist copied this formula, kind of like the gospels copying each other's stories. Same thing, except with paint instead of words.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-09-2016, 05:35 PM
(02-09-2016 05:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Here's maybe a better reconstruction of how it might have gone down.....so to speak.

There's a little piece of wood on the outside of the ankle. It almost looks like a sort of a washer. Anyway, a few christian web sites are all a-twitter over this. And isn't it funny how artists have always depicted Jesus' feet crossed over and a single nail driven through both feet. One artist must have had it in his head that this was the way it was done and every artist copied this formula, kind of like the gospels copying each other's stories. Same thing, except with paint instead of words.

Searching for images for the feet from the Shroud of Turin all seem to show nails from the front like this...
[Image: image_thumb13.png]

One more nail in the coffin for the shroud, I guess. (pun intended)

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
02-09-2016, 05:49 PM
(02-09-2016 05:35 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 05:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Here's maybe a better reconstruction of how it might have gone down.....so to speak.

Searching for images for the feet from the Shroud of Turin all seem to show nails from the front like this...
[Image: image_thumb13.png]

One more nail in the coffin for the shroud, I guess. (pun intended)
Bwahahaha. Those dumb christians and their bloody damned crucifixion. I'm so sick of that icon. Ick.

02-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Quote:So far as I know there's only been ONE skeleton found in a tomb that was discovered to be a crucified man.

Gessius Florus, the man who probably started the Great Revolt by his provocations, is recorded by Josephus to have been the first to crucify noble Jews ( men of the Equestrian order ) who would have been rich enough to actually have family tombs to be buried in.

So it isn't so far-fetched to think that a wealthy family could have bribed a guard to look elsewhere while they pulled a body down and removed it to the family tomb. It also explains why such finds are uncommon.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
02-09-2016, 07:01 PM
(02-09-2016 06:29 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:So far as I know there's only been ONE skeleton found in a tomb that was discovered to be a crucified man.

Gessius Florus, the man who probably started the Great Revolt by his provocations, is recorded by Josephus to have been the first to crucify noble Jews ( men of the Equestrian order ) who would have been rich enough to actually have family tombs to be buried in.

So it isn't so far-fetched to think that a wealthy family could have bribed a guard to look elsewhere while they pulled a body down and removed it to the family tomb. It also explains why such finds are uncommon.

So you're thinking Mary sidled up to one of the guards with a bit of gold, maybe some incense, perhaps a little myrrh and bribed him to take her son off the cross so they could bury him in a nice tomb? I always thought Jesus' family was super poor. But then if they received gold and myrrh on his birthday, which were very expensive gifts, they were sittin' pretty and weren't so poor. Of course Joseph could have spent it on whores and gambling. Or Mary could have taken the money sent little Jesus off to Tibet to study with the monks there. That's where Jesus was in the lost teenage years. Laugh out load Pfffft. I donno, the whole story is goofy. Makes your head spin.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-09-2016, 07:24 PM
My curiosity is peaked :thumbs:

http://www.missedinhistory.com/blogs/mis...fixion.htm

Crucifixion in Antiquity pdf (Bucky Ball stuff)
http://khazarzar.skeptik.net/books/crux002.pdf

[Image: 27May14_Pict+3.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post