Jesus and Public Prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Jesus and Public Prayer
I was arguing with an Xtian fundie about the case recently where a Georgia public school student gave a xtian prayer at a graduation ceremony. I pointed out that in Matthew 6:6 Jesus instructs his followers to pray in private or else they will be a hypocrite. The response I got from the fundie took me aback when he said "I can find plenty of places in the Bible where Jesus says something different. WTF? He just admitted that his own holy book contradicts itself and uses that contradiction to wage his argument! Am I the only one who reads a book that is supposed to be a divine inspiration and expects everything to be cohesive? The fact that it contradicts itself seems to invalidate the entire book in my mind. What do others think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like matt1162's post
08-06-2013, 12:09 PM
RE: Jesus and Public Prayer
(08-06-2013 09:59 AM)matt1162 Wrote:  I was arguing with an Xtian fundie about the case recently where a Georgia public school student gave a xtian prayer at a graduation ceremony. I pointed out that in Matthew 6:6 Jesus instructs his followers to pray in private or else they will be a hypocrite. The response I got from the fundie took me aback when he said "I can find plenty of places in the Bible where Jesus says something different. WTF? He just admitted that his own holy book contradicts itself and uses that contradiction to wage his argument! Am I the only one who reads a book that is supposed to be a divine inspiration and expects everything to be cohesive? The fact that it contradicts itself seems to invalidate the entire book in my mind. What do others think?

I certainly don't read a book that is supposed to be divinely inspired and expect everything to be cohesive. Big Grin

But yeah, typical fundie (il)logic.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
08-06-2013, 02:09 PM
I've often wondered how fundies justify the praying in public thing based on that verse. I'm also with you on wondering why they feel the need to tolerate and justify the many and blatant contradictions in a book which you'd think, as Reltzik said, would be cohesive. God should have really written a How to be Good Peeps for Dummies or something.
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
08-06-2013, 02:55 PM
(08-06-2013 02:09 PM)cjs Wrote:  I've often wondered how fundies justify the praying in public thing based on that verse. I'm also with you on wondering why they feel the need to tolerate and justify the many and blatant contradictions in a book which you'd think, as Reltzik said, would be cohesive. God should have really written a How to be Good Peeps for Dummies or something.

Would that have just been about what peeps should do, or would it also mention the consequences for peeps that misbehave?

[Image: carmelized_peep.jpg]

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
08-06-2013, 03:24 PM
I don't know what it would be about. Maybe like the 3 commandments: dance, grow things, and try not to be a dick. Short, sweet, coherent. But I'm cool with no book at all too. I was just making a joke about the for Dummies series.
08-06-2013, 03:29 PM
(08-06-2013 09:59 AM)matt1162 Wrote:  I was arguing with an Xtian fundie about the case recently where a Georgia public school student gave a xtian prayer at a graduation ceremony. I pointed out that in Matthew 6:6 Jesus instructs his followers to pray in private or else they will be a hypocrite. The response I got from the fundie took me aback when he said "I can find plenty of places in the Bible where Jesus says something different. WTF? He just admitted that his own holy book contradicts itself and uses that contradiction to wage his argument! Am I the only one who reads a book that is supposed to be a divine inspiration and expects everything to be cohesive? The fact that it contradicts itself seems to invalidate the entire book in my mind. What do others think?

One contradiction (or even a million contradictions) doesn't make the entire book untrue (that would commit the fallacy of composition), but it does further prove that the bible isn't trustworthy.

As Sam Harris said in his book Letter to a Christian Nation when discussing Christians using scripture to both support slavery and argue against it, "using one part of the bible to refute another part of the bible doesn't clarify what God's will is".

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post