Jesus and the Old Testament

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Jesus and the Old Testament
Hey all!

I'm preparing to come out and debate some of my family on the basis of religion and my decision to eschew the sacred doctrines instilled in me since childhood.

I want to be completely prepared not to try and "deconvert" them, but to defend my position and hopefully in the process, raise some questions in their minds.

Right now I am trying to find the scripture(s) in which Jesus endorses the laws of the Old Testament.

Because I know that once I have started pointing out how terribly violent the bible is, they will use their very limited knowledge of scripture to let me know that Jesus undid all that In the New Testament.

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2013, 03:26 PM
RE: Jesus and the Old Testament
(24-07-2013 11:52 AM)CasualSpooner Wrote:  Hey all!

I'm preparing to come out and debate some of my family on the basis of religion and my decision to eschew the sacred doctrines instilled in me since childhood.

I want to be completely prepared not to try and "deconvert" them, but to defend my position and hopefully in the process, raise some questions in their minds.

Right now I am trying to find the scripture(s) in which Jesus endorses the laws of the Old Testament.

Because I know that once I have started pointing out how terribly violent the bible is, they will use their very limited knowledge of scripture to let me know that Jesus undid all that In the New Testament.

Thanks in advance!

Matthew 5:17-18
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

"For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

James 2:10
For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

1 Corinthians 14 :34
Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-07-2013, 04:22 PM
remember Matthew 15:1-6

Jesus scolds the Pharisees, calling them hypocrites, for not upholding the commandment to kill rebellious children

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-07-2013, 05:44 PM
awesome thanks guys!