Jesus apparently existed outside of the bible..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2011, 10:58 AM
RE: Jesus apparently existed outside of the bible..
Hey, Monk.

Thanks for the info. I always thought that there was historical evidence of Jesus but I only thought I knew that. It's nice to have it confirmed.

You wrote:
Quote:On ANOTHER note, Everyone (cretards like the guy who sent me that crap in message) is acting like this is the jesus from the bible. Jesus is a name, just like Mark, et al, so it's not logical to conclude this is the one when it was written about so vaguely.
but
Quote:Jesus was crucified in Palestine under Pontius Pilate during the reign of Tiberius Caesar at Passover time, being considered the Jewish king.
isn't vague at all. And that's just one of the points that directly links the historical figure of Jesus to the story of Jesus in the Bible. That and his being from Nazareth and his followers believing he rose from the dead seems pretty slam dunk to me.

Hey, No. J.

I think the effect of Constantine's conversion on Christianity's power base is clear, but I don't think your theory about Constantine being the man behind the rapid rise of Christianity (as opposed to Jesus as proposed by ddahea) holds because Constantine only comes around 300 years after Christ (Emperor from 306 CE-337 CE).

Hey, djgenx7.

I agree. Unlikely that he's the son of God. I know Christian ministers who agree too. They simply view him, as I do, as a historical figure and an important philosopher. I think it's an interesting hypothesis (mine, not yours) that perhaps the reason that Jesus resembled previous Gods was an intentional device of Jesus, rather than part of the creation of his myth by others post-mortem. Maybe he was smarter than we give him credit for. But that’s speculation. Speaking of speculation, the delusions of grandeur thing is just speculation.

Hey, Hotrod.

Come on! You can't seriously be causally comparing Jesus of Nazareth to Adolph Hitler! That's just so outrageous and inflammatory that it must be called out. In the sense of Max Webber's tripartite classification of authority (authority simply being one of the three parts of power, the other two being influence and coercion), yes, Jesus used charismatic authority. But so do most men in and with power (and there should be zero debate that Jesus was a man of power). Hitler used charismatic authority, but he also used traditional authority and legal authority to a much more extensive degree than Jesus. Not to mention that Hitler based is message on fear of the Other (we are surrounded, their decadence erodes our culture, we have enemies within in the form of the Jews, the Jews are not us and will destroy us, we have been denied lands, we have been denied links to our cultural brothers in Austria, the Treaty of Versailles is unfair, we must band together...) while Jesus based his on love and forgiveness. You might as well compare MLK, Gandhi and Nelson Mandela to Hitler.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jesus apparently existed outside of the bible.. - Ghost - 06-05-2011 10:58 AM
RE: Jesus apparently existed outside of the bible.. - Celestus87 - 11-05-2011, 03:00 PM
RE: Jesus apparently existed outside of the bible.. - Celestus87 - 12-05-2011, 07:58 AM