Jesus died for our sins??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Jesus died for our sins??
Can someone please give me a few sentences that explain why this makes no sense. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2014, 12:30 PM
RE: Jesus died for our sins??
Well first things first he didn't actually die...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
16-10-2014, 12:31 PM
(16-10-2014 12:24 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  Can someone please give me a few sentences that explain why this makes no sense. Thanks

...because... ummm... you're... not... a Christian?

Maybe?

erm... what?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
16-10-2014, 12:35 PM
I understand all that. I guess I should have clarified. The idea that we "caught" original sin- then behaved how we were programmed, so to speak - then god killed everyone (flood) then we were still bad so god sacrificed himself to himself based on rules he created. I wanted a better way of saying that
[+] 1 user Likes Chrisinfp's post
16-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Didn't Seth write something on this?
16-10-2014, 12:39 PM
To be more precise, Jesus died to remove original sin and to allow that our own sins can be forgiven, thereby enabling heaven to be at least possible for us.

Why does this make no sense?

According to the myth, Adam and Eve sinned. Their actions are done and over long ago and cannot be undone because, among other things, they are dead. But even if they could be undone, it falls into the same category as our own sins in terms of whether Jesus' death accomplished anything.

What would be the purpose of "making up for sins"? It would have to be either to "right the wrong" or for the sinner to learn something in order to do better subsequently. To "right the wrong" would be to somehow do something so favorable that Yahweh would feel better or at least be willing to overlook the wrong. But the only way that makes sense is if the wrongdoer is the one doing the favorable thing. The same is true for learning something. The one learning would have to be the sinner. So Jesus died and it's all beside the point of making up for our sins. But apparently God pleased itself anyway by pretending to kill itself (because in God's world, there is no death) and rising from the dead to prove... er something or other.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
16-10-2014, 12:39 PM
God sent his son, who is also himself but isn't, to Earth to sacrifice himself to himself, so that he could forgive humans for something that was his fault in the first place...

Makes perfect fucking sense...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Sam's post
16-10-2014, 12:48 PM
(16-10-2014 12:35 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  I understand all that. I guess I should have clarified. The idea that we "caught" original sin- then behaved how we were programmed, so to speak - then god killed everyone (flood) then we were still bad so god sacrificed himself to himself based on rules he created. I wanted a better way of saying that

Oh that... you typed this while I was typing my other reply so I may have gone in the wrong direction.

The way I understand it, it's like inheritance. Prior to eating the apple, humans didn't know about good vs evil. The apple gave that knowledge and now that we've been introduced to that knowledge, we can't get rid of it. So we inherited the ability to sin - thus, original sin. And, because God wasn't pleased that Adam and Eve did evil (eating an apple is about the worst evil ever, you see), God just couldn't stand for that. So God added imperfections to the earth (natural disasters), diseases, poverty, etc. to punish us because God knows that the strict behavioral approach to behavior modification is generally not the most effective method... wait, what? Oh so he was pissed at himself for taking the wrong approach... ya, that's it... and, in a great temper tantrum, he flooded the earth. As an added stab in the back to humanity, he chose the bum, Noah, to be the ancestor of all from that point forward. And God is still laughing about it all today.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
16-10-2014, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2014 02:08 AM by Bucky Ball.)
After the Second Temple was destroyed around 70 CE, and Jerusalem was pretty much sacked and gutted during the Bar Kochba revolt in the early to mid Second Century, the apocalyptic dreams of the sub-sect of Jews called "The Way" (ie Christians) had to justify the continuation of their sect, and how to make sense of the death of its (supposed) founder. Granting "metaphysical" meaning ("forgiveness of sin") served that purpose. Trouble is, "personal purification" (from personal state of sin) is more of a Zoroastrian idea than Hebrew ("ritual") purity one. It doesn't really make any sense for many reasons. It's cooked-up woo.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-10-2014, 12:54 PM
(16-10-2014 12:24 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  Can someone please give me a few sentences that explain why this makes no sense. Thanks

Can someone please give me a few sentences that explain why this makes any sense. Thanks

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post