Jesus doesn't change people

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2015, 05:03 PM
RE: Jesus doesn't change people
(08-06-2015 04:46 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 04:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  He's having a crisis of faith.

A crisis of arrogance

Same thing.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-06-2015, 05:06 PM
(08-06-2015 05:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 04:46 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  A crisis of arrogance

Same thing.

Touché

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
08-06-2015, 05:08 PM
(08-06-2015 04:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You're saying the reason to believe is that it makes you happier then non-belief.

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

lol, not particularly.

What interest me here is primarily this obsession with truth, this seemingly uncompromising loyalty to it. That one would sacrifice his comfort, and happiness for it. In reality I share the seemingly loyalty and devotion to it, as others here.

To me the natural explanation for this, would be because I was reared in a religious tradition that elevated truth, to the status of God, that even if I stopped believing in God, the fervent devotion would still exist for truth, perhaps in a seemingly neurotic way.

As to why an atheist, who doesn't believe in transformative truth or meaning, hold a similar reverence for truth, I don't know, but it's an interesting question. I would think if I didn't believe, why would I care whats true or not, unless it was reserved for some particular end at the time? Why would I resent those who settled for fantasies over reality? Why would I have to imagine myself as the adult, and them as children? Or see myself as existing on some higher perch? If this the only life we have, than why not just eat and drink, because tomorrow we die? Why constantly try to imagine ourselves serving higher purposes and causes, even godless ones.
08-06-2015, 05:12 PM
(08-06-2015 04:48 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You on the other hand, find that your life as-is is unbearable and you need fantasy to make it bearable. It's pretty sad and pathetic.

Not really. But what if it were true. Why does it elicit your contempt? Why do you see it as sad and pathetic, if someone settles for fantasies to get through an unbearable life?

If we're all just trying to make it through this one life that we have, why do you feel the need to look down upon those who settled for fantasies, and think so highly of yourself?
08-06-2015, 05:16 PM
(08-06-2015 05:12 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 04:48 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You on the other hand, find that your life as-is is unbearable and you need fantasy to make it bearable. It's pretty sad and pathetic.

Not really. But what if it were true. Why does it elicit your contempt? Why do you see it as sad and pathetic, if someone settles for fantasies to get through an unbearable life?

If we're all just trying to make it through this one life that we have, why do you feel the need to look down upon those who settled for fantasies, and think so highly of yourself?

It isn't true, that's what elicits my contempt. As for thinking highly of myself, we all think highly of ourselves and our own opinions. You're on a forum for atheists, you seem to clearly think more highly of yourself and your religious opinion than of ours for you to be here as a sheeple among the wolves. Seems....arrogant. Which begs the question again: Why are you here, tomasia?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
08-06-2015, 05:19 PM
(08-06-2015 10:55 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Jesus is a "meme". Nothing more. Modern humans for the most part, know NOTHING about the history of what they claim is their religion. All they know are the "nice Jebus stories" from Sunday School, if even that.

Or the Jesus they read about in the Gospels.

Quote:If the meme works for some, well then memes work. Duh. Jebus is not real, and the mythical Jebus preacher dude has no relevance in 2015.

I know Kendra Jenner is giving him a run.

Why Jesus may not relevant for some, he is quite relevant for the many.
08-06-2015, 05:20 PM
(08-06-2015 05:08 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 04:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You're saying the reason to believe is that it makes you happier then non-belief.

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

lol, not particularly.

What interest me here is primarily this obsession with truth, this seemingly uncompromising loyalty to it. That one would sacrifice his comfort, and happiness for it. In reality I share the seemingly loyalty and devotion to it, as others here.

To me the natural explanation for this, would be because I was reared in a religious tradition that elevated truth, to the status of God, that even if I stopped believing in God, the fervent devotion would still exist for truth, perhaps in a seemingly neurotic way.

As to why an atheist, who doesn't believe in transformative truth or meaning, hold a similar reverence for truth, I don't know, but it's an interesting question. I would think if I didn't believe, why would I care whats true or not, unless it was reserved for some particular end at the time? Why would I resent those who settled for fantasies over reality? Why would I have to imagine myself as the adult, and them as children? Or see myself as existing on some higher perch? If this the only life we have, than why not just eat and drink, because tomorrow we die? Why constantly try to imagine ourselves serving higher purposes and causes, even godless ones.

Why indeed? And yet I still do.

#sigh
08-06-2015, 05:22 PM
(08-06-2015 05:08 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why would I resent those who settled for fantasies over reality? Why would I have to imagine myself as the adult, and them as children? Or see myself as existing on some higher perch? If this the only life we have, than why not just eat and drink, because tomorrow we die? Why constantly try to imagine ourselves serving higher purposes and causes, even godless ones.

Stop projecting your depressive nihilism onto others and get some help.
You need it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-06-2015, 05:29 PM
(08-06-2015 05:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It isn't true, that's what elicits my contempt.

So lies elicit your contempt? Who cares? Life is too short to occupy one's life with contempt.

Quote:You're on a forum for atheists, you seem to clearly think more highly of yourself and your religious opinion than of ours for you to be here as a sheeple among the wolves.

I don't consider you wolves. And I don't particularly have anything against atheism. I don't feel contempt for disbelief. If I don't particularly like you, it likely has nothing do with any of your beliefs, false or true.

Quote:Which begs the question again: Why are you here, tomasia?

Well, I'm not here to serve some higher purpose, that's for sure, lol. I'm primarily here because I like to be here. I like the sort of intersection between belief and disbelief, I like the exchanges, the aggression, those convictions, and the personalities that come with it.
08-06-2015, 05:32 PM
(08-06-2015 05:29 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Well, I'm not here to serve some higher purpose, that's for sure, lol. I'm primarily here because I like to be here. I like the sort of intersection between belief and disbelief, I like the exchanges, the aggression, those convictions, and the personalities that come with it.

Are you sure you just aren't high?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post