Jesus drank wine?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Jesus drank wine?
thiests say Jesus was wrongly accused of being a drunkard, but Jesus
In Luke 7:34 and mathew11:19, Jesus said to a crowd of people I came eating and drinking.
To me he's admitting to the crowd he did, even if he's not a drunkard, he sinned having a drink in public.

What do you think
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2016, 06:41 PM
RE: Jesus drank wine?
(15-09-2016 05:16 PM)Palerider Wrote:  thiests say Jesus was wrongly accused of being a drunkard, but Jesus
In Luke 7:34 and mathew11:19, Jesus said to a crowd of people I came eating and drinking.
To me he's admitting to the crowd he did, even if he's not a drunkard, he sinned having a drink in public.

What do you think

I don't think it's a biblical sin to drink. The gospel of John has Jesus also turning water into wine. So being a supernatural moonshine maker is apparently ok with god.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
15-09-2016, 06:57 PM
The Bible doesn't say not to drink at all. It says not to be intoxicated. The anti-alcohol teetotaler thing is almost uniquely American, in the most conservative sects. So basically, only the asshole versions of Christianity think drinking is a sin.

Wine was handy in the pre-refrigeration world because the alcohol preserved it; it was a common practice among the Greeks and Romans to water down the wine for normal consumption, though of course there were festivals where being totally hammered was expected-- the Jews considered this quite scandalous, no doubt.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-09-2016, 07:30 PM

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
15-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Wait. Isn't wine a major part in many Jewish holidays and festivals? Wasn't Jesus Jewish? Why wouldn't he have?

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-09-2016, 08:47 PM
I'm drawing a blank at the moment, but I do believe that there are words in the buy-bull that actually encourage the use of alcohol to drown one's sorrows. My google-fu is currently not caring. I've been up for 17 hours, and I'm an old man. Laughat
15-09-2016, 09:08 PM
Whoever invented "jesus" can make him a drunk, a pothead, a homo, or whatever they wish. It is up to the author to determine what he wants his characters to be.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
15-09-2016, 09:13 PM
No, Jesus drank mescal.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
15-09-2016, 09:14 PM
(15-09-2016 09:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Whoever invented "jesus" can make him a drunk, a pothead, a homo, or whatever they wish. It is up to the author to determine what he wants his characters to be.

I think the author that wrote about him was at least two of those things.
15-09-2016, 10:00 PM

The wine bit is after the 5 minute mark, if you want to skip.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]