Jesus has left the building

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2012, 11:04 AM
RE: Jesus has left the building
(13-07-2012 10:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They kept and changed the Chaos myth...

Reminds me of these bits:
Quote:He, holding in his right hand his staff and in his left the key, to me these accents uttered from his front mouth: “Dismiss thy fear, thy answer take, laborious singer of the days, and mark my words. The ancients called me Chaos,11 for a being from of old am I; observe the long, long ages of which my song shall tell.

and

Quote:I sit at heaven’s gate with the gentle Hours; my office regulates the goings and the comings of Jupiter himself. Hence Janus is my name; but when the priest offers me a barley cake and spelt mingled with salt, you would laugh to hear the names he gives me, for on his sacrificial lips I’m now Patulcius and now Clusius called.

~from Ovid Fasti I, kinda thing a prophet named ellenjanuary would pick up on. Big Grin

As for JP, sure he's got some conformation bias (don't we all?), but he doesn't come across as a total retread and he provides a foil to my biased toil. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2012, 11:58 AM
The comments/reviews on the Amazon page for JP's book are amusing. According to most of them, the "Jesus Mythers" (lol) only exist because of the interwebz.
Extrapolation: If there were no internet, more people would believe in Jesus.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Interesting video. I'm looking forward to what people here have to think about it since I am just beginning to scratch the surface of history in antiquity.
13-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Well, if it's reading yer up for, google presents a fat ol' preview of Christ in Egypt . And if that don't fill ya up, Massey's Ancient Egypt will keep ya occupied for a minute. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
13-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
13-07-2012, 09:08 PM
(13-07-2012 08:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Just re-read his book. Excellent.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-07-2012, 10:41 PM
I tried to find Misquoting Jesus at my library but they did not have it. Actually I've been reading the 4th edition of The New Testament by Ehrman. I'm only a couple chapters in, though since I don't have a whole lot of free time. Actually last week I managed to read a bit of it while I was laying out by the pool! That's maybe a little bit sick. Jesus freaks don't even do that.

House - I'll check out those e-books as well. Thanks
[+] 1 user Likes Noelani's post