Jesus historicity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2014, 05:33 AM
RE: Jesus historicity
(22-11-2014 05:08 AM)Luckyluciano Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 10:53 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Read the forum rules. This is a forum, not a censor board.
Can't help but wonder how many potential quality posters must stay away because of the lack of self-censorship when it comes to choice of language and character attacks and the appeal to emotion rather than intellect under the guise of self expression and freedom of speech.

Doesn't appeal to everyone... Such is life. I *like* being able to cut loose without some mod looking over my shoulder and telling me not to use naughty words.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-11-2014, 06:52 AM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2014 09:17 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(22-11-2014 04:51 AM)Luckyluciano Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 11:00 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Really? Must there also have been a "historical" Osiris, or Thor, or Quetzlcoatl, or Shiva, or Marduk, etc? Myth is a powerful force in human imagination. The insistence that all other myths are simply myths but 'jesus' must have had a real person behind it is little more than special pleading.

There is near unanimity among scholars that Jesus existed historically......

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

The trouble is, pretty much the only people who care or study the "Historicity of Jesus" at all, are religious people who are BOUND to say that he existed, (have an inherent conflict of interest, because they are employed by religious institutions who would FIRE them if they said otherwise). Dr. Richard Carrier IS a "serious scholar" with serious POINTS to rebut. No one ever rebuts his POINTS. So instead of *claiming* that everyone says something about something with no poll of disinterested parties who have EVIDENCE to present, lets see the evidence, (and the poll). The fact is, there is no good evidence, or way to distinguish the (supposed) Jesus of Nazareth from all the other messiah figures of the day, all of whom had very similar attributes and tales told about them.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-11-2014, 07:07 AM
(21-11-2014 10:42 PM)Luckyluciano Wrote:  Such language. Such attitude. Everyone has been here longer than me therefore has squatting rights but I find vulgarity offensive and distasteful. Is it really necessary to communicate in this way. Seth Andrews level of communication is on a higher wavelength rather than what is often expressed here so why is this forum not following in his form.
Are there no moderators.

One of the many great quotes from "Inherit The Wind":

Henry Drummond: I don't swear just for the hell of it. Language is a poor enough means of communication. I think we should all the words we've got. Besides, there are damn few words that anybody understands.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
22-11-2014, 07:16 AM
(21-11-2014 10:53 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Read the forum rules. This is a forum, not a censor board.

Can't help but wonder how many potential quality posters must stay away because of the lack of self-censorship when it comes to choice of language and character attacks and the appeal to emotion rather than intellect under the guise of self expression and freedom of speech.

Lemme guess one? Shocking You sailed into this harbor under your own power skippy, mind the navigational bouys on the way out.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
22-11-2014, 09:09 AM

I can't help but wonder how many potential quality posters must stay away because of the lack of quality grammar displayed in your last post. Please refrain from run-on sentences; they hurt my eyes. Smartass

Do you see my point? Where does it end? I'm much more offended at poor grammar than a cuss word. There is nothing juvenile or illiterate about using words you may find distasteful. I listen to the idea that's being conveyed, which is most important. If the simple arrangement of a few letters forms a word you deem offensive, why let that keep you from learning and exchanging ideas? A timid mind never accomplishes anything. Get some thick skin or you'll hate it here.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
22-11-2014, 09:22 AM
(21-11-2014 10:42 PM)Luckyluciano Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 05:30 PM)Free Wrote:  My take on all this is simple.

The historical Jesus got his ass handed to him by the Romans, who strung him up on a couple of sticks and told him to go fuck himself.

The mythical Jesus can blow me.

Pizza anyone?

Such language. Such attitude. Everyone has been here longer than me therefore has squatting rights but I find vulgarity offensive and distasteful. Is it really necessary to communicate in this way. Seth Andrews level of communication is on a higher wavelength rather than what is often expressed here so why is this forum not following in his form.
Are there no moderators.

I unequivocally understand your concerns, but this is a "mature" forum that deals in reality, and the reality here is that we are fully permitted to speak freely using mature language.

Some of the most respected people on earth also use such language, and they often use it on a podium in front of large crowds. This forum is not for the meek or easily offended. On this forum, when you want to get a point across you do so with zeal and determination, and you speak the language of the masses.

When in Rome ...

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 3 users Like Free's post
22-11-2014, 12:10 PM
(22-11-2014 09:22 AM)Free Wrote:  When in Rome ...

fuck like a Roman!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
22-11-2014, 06:40 PM
"The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it." -George Washington

"Such as thy words are, such will thine affections be esteemed; and such as thine affections, will be thy deeds; and such as thy deeds will be thy life/Socrates
22-11-2014, 06:47 PM
Yeah - what possible reason could a bunch of 'theologians' have for insisting that their fucking god boy is real? Whatever could it be....I wonder.

"Jesus" exists no where except in the pages of a seriously edited and forged book. If I stick to Homer I can prove that Apollo is real and I bet you'd scream your fucking ass off if I did that, lucky.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
22-11-2014, 06:51 PM
(22-11-2014 06:40 PM)Luckyluciano Wrote:  "The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it." -George Washington

"Such as thy words are, such will thine affections be esteemed; and such as thine affections, will be thy deeds; and such as thy deeds will be thy life/Socrates

The idea that no gentleman ever swears is all wrong. He can swear and still be a gentleman if he does it in a nice and benevolent and affectionate way.
- Mark Twain, Private and Public Morals speech, 1906

Under certain circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

There ought to be a room in every house to swear in. It's dangerous to have to repress an emotion like that.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

To us TTA serves as that room.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post