Jesus in the desert

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Jesus in the desert
So Jesus is alone in the desert being tempted by the devil and has this conversation with the Bad Guy . Ok, so who wrote down what was said? How do theists know that these were the exact words Jesus said to the devil? Theists go crazy over each and every little word and treat each word like it's a gold nugget to be weighed and discussed ad nauseam. Yet theists never think about the practicalities of getting the precise words from Jesus' mouth onto a page especially when the guy was supposed to be alone out in the desert.

When I first learned about this story (I was in college at the time) that's the very first thing I thought of. Who was there to record it?

The other "alone story" is the Garden of Gethsemane when he goes out alone while the others are asleep.

To those of you who were at one time believers, did this ever cross your mind?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-10-2014, 10:42 PM
RE: Jesus in the desert
Two words: God inspired.

It doesn't have to be logically plausible. Church said it came from god, who are you to question? Angel

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
18-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Critical thinking is not a requirement of a believer. Quite frankly its frowned upon.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
18-10-2014, 11:02 PM
The "reading of the gospel" is part of the Kabuki play.
Just shut up, and clap at the end. That's your part in it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Quote: Yet theists never think about the practicalities of getting the precise words from Jesus' mouth onto a page

Fixed that for you.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
18-10-2014, 11:31 PM
(18-10-2014 10:42 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Two words: God inspired.

It doesn't have to be logically plausible. Church said it came from god, who are you to question? Angel

Yeah, I'm quite the heathen. I confess to thinking about stuff a lot.

So when questioned about the "alone parts" of Jesus' life theists don't question it at all, huh. That's amazing. Do they ever give it just a glancing thought? A mere twinkle of a thought?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-10-2014, 11:47 PM
(18-10-2014 11:31 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(18-10-2014 10:42 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Two words: God inspired.

Yeah, I'm quite the heathen. I confess to thinking about stuff a lot.

So when questioned about the "alone parts" of Jesus' life theists don't question it at all, huh. That's amazing. Do they ever give it just a glancing thought? A mere twinkle of a thought?

Of course they do. I did. That's what I'm saying though, too much thought and it becomes a problem. Faith means dismissing what logic tells you and simply letting it go and just trusting that god has his ways.

The bible explicitly tells us that we cannot understand god's ways. It's a pretty stupid and obvious way of telling people to just shut up and accept what they're told when you look at it realistically. But the entire premise of religion is to throw out what is easily observed and insert whatever concocted alternate "reality" fits the agenda.

That's the standard method, at least with Christianity: instill fear, promise redemption with conditions, threaten ultimate suffering if you don't meet them. Everything else is just story telling for flavor. It's the fear of the unknown and the threat of eternal damnation that keeps people from questioning whether or not the stories are real.

That and church potlucks are always a good time, why trivialize it with logic and reality?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
19-10-2014, 12:52 AM
I always wondered how they managed to paint Satan as the bad guy in that conversation anyway.

"Jesus, stop being a moron, drink some water before you make yourself ill."

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
19-10-2014, 06:24 AM
The bible is full of things like this:

In Genesis god says "let there be light"-before any human was made or air on a planet to transmit the sound?

In Job god has an entire conversation with Satan in heaven. Who heard that conversation?

In Matthew when Jesus walks on water, he's having a conversation with Peter on a boat- how the hell could you hear someone in stormy weather at a distance and carry on a conversation with them?

I think The Life of Brian had it right:

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
19-10-2014, 09:09 AM
(18-10-2014 11:47 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  It's a pretty stupid and obvious way of telling people to just shut up and accept what they're told when you look at it realistically.

And that's why they call them "sheep." Dodgy

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?