Jesus in the desert

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2014, 06:46 AM
RE: Jesus in the desert
Tomasia Wrote:You mean these theist mean something different than what's commonly understood by "inspiration"? Because clearly when we say "inspiration" we don't mean someone putting actual words into our minds, in fact if this where the case than it wouldn't be inspiration.

Thank you, I don't disagree that it is a different use of the word but, in my experience anyway, many believers do use it that way. They say that the bible was inspired by god and, when pressed, claim that god did put the words in the writer's minds.

Quote:Or in other words, I don't find Muhammad's portrait of Jesus to be persuasive, in fact to me it's more persuasive to believe Jesus was sort of a likablecharismatic lunatic, bipolar perhaps, who believed in his fits of mania, [who believed] that he was on an important mission from God, as his chosen one, his own son, and got strung up by the Romans for being a nuisance.

With the minor edits, I think you've got it! Smile

Quote:Judaism on the other hand has long been a religion in decline, a religion that once fervently awaited the arrival of the messiah, that his absence for this long have forced them to accept that one isn't coming, and that its destiny to become the religion that waters the whole world, to be a non-occurence.

Christianity has been waiting 2000 years for its messiah to return so it isn't that far behind. Maybe it is time to recognize that it is just as futile.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2014, 07:24 AM
(22-10-2014 09:53 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-10-2014 09:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So you actually got to see the holes in his hands? Were they just kinda scarred up on each side, or could you see daylight through them?

No, more like in small piece of bread, and a 2oz cup of wine. Or after a night of very long drinking.
He could of possibly had holes in hands, or a slug through the side, or I might have mistaken him for the barkeep.

The humor is strong in this one Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-10-2014, 08:45 AM
(18-10-2014 10:34 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When I first learned about this story (I was in college at the time) that's the very first thing I thought of. Who was there to record it?

I apologize if this has already been said in the several pages of this thread. You bring up a great point. The fundamentalist's assumption is that the Gospels were written by eye-witnesses, but in reality, the Gospels are all anonymously written are were only ascribed to be written by apostles well after the books' composition. In reality, the Gospels were written maybe 40-60 years after the events by people who'd heard the passed-on Jesus stories but had never even set foot anywhere near Palestine. So I understand this story as a legendary story of a show-down between the apocalyptic prophet Jesus and Satan.
26-10-2014, 02:03 AM
(22-10-2014 09:53 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-10-2014 09:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So you actually got to see the holes in his hands? Were they just kinda scarred up on each side, or could you see daylight through them?

No, more like in small piece of bread, and a 2oz cup of wine. Or after a night of very long drinking.
He could of possibly had holes in hands, or a slug through the side, or I might have mistaken him for the barkeep.

While that's all well and funny as a response what you have is a piece of bread and a bit of sub par wine, not an encounter with a 2000 years dead Jew or a "God". Conflating the two won't fly here all that well. So in what way exactly have you "encountered" Jesus?

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
28-10-2014, 12:16 PM
(23-10-2014 08:45 AM)Learner Wrote:  
(18-10-2014 10:34 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When I first learned about this story (I was in college at the time) that's the very first thing I thought of. Who was there to record it?

I apologize if this has already been said in the several pages of this thread. You bring up a great point. The fundamentalist's assumption is that the Gospels were written by eye-witnesses, but in reality, the Gospels are all anonymously written are were only ascribed to be written by apostles well after the books' composition. In reality, the Gospels were written maybe 40-60 years after the events by people who'd heard the passed-on Jesus stories but had never even set foot anywhere near Palestine. So I understand this story as a legendary story of a show-down between the apocalyptic prophet Jesus and Satan.

I appreciate your accepting a date of 40-60 years... are you saying there was no one 60 years later who was local who could say, "Nope! There was no Jesus here, doing miracles, with thousands and thousands of followers, who rose from the dead..." and also no one 40-60 years later, which would be after the temple was destroyed in 70 AD...

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user