Jesus is Biased

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Jesus is Biased
Was Jesus biased? For the sake of this question we're assuming that Jesus was real and not fictional and that the bible contains true accounts of him, blah blah blah. You'd think that Jesus would be perfectly rational, objective, and consistent, but what the bible says doesn't make a great case for it.

By the way, the funniest thing about this is about how much Jesus hates hypocrites. It was own personal insult word that he used countless times (7 times in Matthew 23 alone) and yet he was hypocritical about...

Poverty

Jesus clearly preferred the poor over the rich. He told the rich young man who asked him about eternal life to give away all of his possessions and further said that it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven. He told his followers that a man cannot serve two masters -- one must serve either God or money. Jesus is even down on the rich in the book of Revelation. And let's not forget that the bible is the source of the quote "the love of money is the root of *all* evil"

The bias...

When a woman pours perfume all over Jesus' feet, he enjoys it. When a disciple says "Hey! That perfume could have been sold to feed the poor!" Jesus makes the most remarkable logical fallacy -- he says that they'll always have the poor, but they won't always have Jesus. That's a comparison of apples and oranges... they wouldn't always have "the poor" in the sense of the actual people that could have been fed with that money, because those people would die like people tend to (except perhaps they would have lived a bit longer with that food that they never got). And if one believes that Jesus is the Holy Spirit, then it isn't even true that "we wouldn't always have Jesus". But in any case he was comparing a social group to a specific person so it was a false analogy.

Jesus cared about the poor, except when he was being lavished upon personally. The perfume was wasted. Whether or not the disciples actually cared about the poor (they didn't) supposedly that was a concern of Jesus, but he was a hypocrite.

Humility

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said "blessed are the meek (humble)". The bible also says numerous positive things about being humble, and while most of these aren't actually Jesus' words, is it fair to say that Jesus agrees with the bible? I think so.

The bias...

Some say "it isn't bragging if it's true"... but that's just a cliche, not the conclusion of a logical argument. If you were the fastest runner on the planet, you *could* claim that it's not bragging to say as much... but it is. It's different to answer "Are you the fastest runner on the planet?" with an honest positive answer than it is to tell everyone within earshot about fast you are.

To give credit where it's due, Jesus was very humble in the first 3 gospels. When his disciples ask him who he is, he asks them to keep the fact that he's the Son of God private. But in John, Jesus can't shut up about who he is. The whole book is filled with countless statements where Jesus talks about who he is and why he's important. Really, Jesus, get over yourself and stop being a hypocrite.

Violence

I'm just going to straight-up present other peoples' comparisons here, because I'm already bored about this. Of course he also spoke against violence in the Sermon on the Mount, and of course he drove the money-changers out of the temple with a whip. What a hypocrite.

There you have it. I only spent a couple hours thinking about this... does anyone have any other examples of Jesus' hypocrisy?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
10-01-2013, 09:24 PM
RE: Jesus is Biased
Compassion

You know that age-old insult 'ye of little faith '? Yeah. It's an insult. Also considered a blessing by Jesus. "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. " Well, waitaminute... It only counts if it's because of him and not coming from him?

Yeah, nice move there Jesus, giving yourself the okay to berate your disciple Peter when he was shit scared of drowning. He got out of the fucking boat, and still no brownie points. Fucking Hypocrite.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
10-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Rainbow RE: Jesus is Biased
There's a problem with the hypothetical. If the premise that Jesus was biblically accurate, no one would care about anything that he said or did.

We have a supernatural being, and evidence of a greater supernatural being. Reality no longer makes sense, my mind and view of the world would be so mind bogglingly shattered that I'd probably have a heart attack. I might go insane. I might even become a zealot just to experience this supernatural world in this life or the next.
11-01-2013, 03:07 AM
..... Can you be biased if you are a fictional character?

...I suppose so, depending on the writer....

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
11-01-2013, 09:15 PM
(11-01-2013 03:07 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  ..... Can you be biased if you are a fictional character?

Sure! The unreliable narrator is a GREAT literary device.

Warning Labels: Long-winded. Twisted sense of humor (including puns, literalisms, absurdisms, all complicated by sarcasm and deadpan delivery). Contrarian. Do not combine with high quantities of sugar, acid (corrosive or hallucinogenic), or people who take themselves too seriously.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
11-01-2013, 09:29 PM
(11-01-2013 09:15 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(11-01-2013 03:07 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  ..... Can you be biased if you are a fictional character?

Sure! The unreliable narrator is a GREAT literary device.

I have a great many more things to learn about writing, I see.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
13-01-2013, 11:01 PM
(10-01-2013 11:17 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  There's a problem with the hypothetical. If the premise that Jesus was biblically accurate, no one would care about anything that he said or did.

I think it's the exact opposite, actually, but I'd need for you to expand on this idea and explain it if you want to convince me. If the premise is that Jesus was biblically accurate (making him the son of a god), then I'd think everything he had to say was extremely important (at least compared to what non-sons-of-gods had to say).

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
14-01-2013, 08:18 AM
I would say Jesus was very biased. He considered his speech the "word of God", so therefore his word would be more important to him than any other.

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Don't want Jesus? Do the dishes! RogueWarrior 3 50 Today 12:13 PM
Last Post: DemonicLemon
  For all of you who have accepted Jesus of Gamala! Deltabravo 18 322 Yesterday 09:19 AM
Last Post: Deltabravo
  Roman historian on Jesus sophonian 7 142 Yesterday 07:40 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Jesus gave up............................. 3days of his life for us Ace 24 447 21-07-2014 08:37 PM
Last Post: Minimalist
  Did Jesus commit suicide? dancefortwo 24 334 16-07-2014 02:00 PM
Last Post: Deltabravo
  What is the more likely explanation of Jesus? Deltabravo 469 6,988 13-07-2014 04:42 PM
Last Post: Jagare
  Jesus myth goodwithoutgod 654 11,892 25-06-2014 06:44 AM
Last Post: anonymous66