Jesus is every-fking-where!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2015, 11:25 PM
Jesus is every-fking-where!
I call myself recently de-converted, but I had been questioning my faith for many years before I liberated myself from it. I feel confident in my relatively new atheist worldview.

I'm completely new to communicating with people in the anti-theistic community because there are literally none of us in my bible-belt area. Really, nobody to relate to.

Those statements made...

I sometimes feel like many of the anti-theists are overly derogatory to the theists. I'm not sure if it's left-over feelings from my indoctrination, or just my live-and-let-live mentality... As science-minded anti-theist, a statement like "blow jesus out your ass" might make sense to me; but, it is not constructive at all. A statement like that serves no purpose other than to hurt believers... and perhaps add to their ammunition against us.

Maybe I'm being oversensitive to the opposition... But, that brings me to the purpose of this thread... Everywhere I look, I see Jesus this - and God that - and the lord did whatever... ...

Are the "blow jesus out your ass" types extremists? or am I just being overly sensitive?

I'm just feeling lonely in my atheism today. If you have any similar feelings or experiences to share, please do.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like mediocrates's post
04-10-2015, 01:17 AM
RE: Jesus is every-fking-where!
From an atheist perspective, dealing with the religious bullshit gets pretty annoying over time, and the type of reaction that you are seeing is when they get too tired from face-palming over and over. From the sidelines the religious speak can sound quite sweet, but when it's directed towards you, you can understand how bigoted and hateful it truly is.

Atheists are not looking to convert xtians or any religious people, most atheists just want to be left alone in their own lives, so they are bound to get mad when stupid bullshit is shoved down their throats over and over.

[Image: 004.sig]
[+] 2 users Like Aoi Magi's post
04-10-2015, 04:43 AM
One of the difficulties in winning rights/respect for a minority is that often, the majority shuts down the minority by objecting to tone and refusing to acknowledge content. It's a power move. The majority position, often, is, "I will only listen to you speak about your issues if you couch them in terms that minimize the hurt I've caused you and whisper in your mildest voice, from your knees." And then, when the minority complies with those terms, the response tends to be a non-apologetic apology--"I"m sorry you were offended"--with no real change following. It's no wonder that after this kind of back and forth, some people get belligerent.

Consider how many straight people think a gay couple simply holding hands in public is shoving it (The Gay) in their faces. Consider how many Christians think that Happy Holidays is a hostile and anti-Christian statement.

There's an entitled attitude at play there that assumes one should not have even to see or hear about people who are different, if the difference makes one uncomfortable.

I'm not an anti-theist, but I still appreciate the anger and energy of those who are. Out-there, anti-theism atheists stretch the middle ground in the atheism versus theism arena. That tends to make moderate atheist arguments for respect and recognition more likely to be accepted.
[+] 8 users Like julep's post
04-10-2015, 04:53 AM
(04-10-2015 04:43 AM)julep Wrote:  One of the difficulties in winning rights/respect for a minority is that often, the majority shuts down the minority by objecting to tone and refusing to acknowledge content. It's a power move. The majority position, often, is, "I will only listen to you speak about your issues if you couch them in terms that minimize the hurt I've caused you and whisper in your mildest voice, from your knees." And then, when the minority complies with those terms, the response tends to be a non-apologetic apology--"I"m sorry you were offended"--with no real change following. It's no wonder that after this kind of back and forth, some people get belligerent.

See Also: Ferguson, Black Lives Matter, the LGBT Equality Movement, etc.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
04-10-2015, 05:20 AM
It's on par with having to deal with the one kid in high school who still believes in Santa Claus.

You just want to slap the shit outta him....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
04-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Interesting responses. Thanks everyone.

Thinking about a high school kid that believes in Santa Claus puts it into perspective for me a little better. Especially if the kid was persistent in voicing his belief and trying to persuade others.
[+] 2 users Like mediocrates's post
05-10-2015, 01:31 AM
You can't be overly derogatory when you're speaking about something so idiotic as religion. It does not deserve respect. As for people if they pestering me with their bullshit I see no reason to not call them on their stupidity, otherwise I couldn't care less about their delusion.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
06-10-2015, 04:11 PM
(03-10-2015 11:25 PM)mediocrates Wrote:  I call myself recently de-converted, but I had been questioning my faith for many years before I liberated myself from it. I feel confident in my relatively new atheist worldview.

I'm completely new to communicating with people in the anti-theistic community because there are literally none of us in my bible-belt area. Really, nobody to relate to.

Those statements made...

I sometimes feel like many of the anti-theists are overly derogatory to the theists. I'm not sure if it's left-over feelings from my indoctrination, or just my live-and-let-live mentality... As science-minded anti-theist, a statement like "blow jesus out your ass" might make sense to me; but, it is not constructive at all. A statement like that serves no purpose other than to hurt believers... and perhaps add to their ammunition against us.

Maybe I'm being oversensitive to the opposition... But, that brings me to the purpose of this thread... Everywhere I look, I see Jesus this - and God that - and the lord did whatever... ...

Are the "blow jesus out your ass" types extremists? or am I just being overly sensitive?

I'm just feeling lonely in my atheism today. If you have any similar feelings or experiences to share, please do.

I hear you about living in The Belt. I'm in a small town in Louisiana. Religion shoves its multi-tentacled cock into everything here. However, you're probably not as alone where you are as you think. I've found other atheists here, few and far between as we are. People I previously would not have expected to be in a million years. You are not alone. Hug

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
06-10-2015, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 04:48 PM by Banjo.)
(03-10-2015 11:25 PM)mediocrates Wrote:  I call myself recently de-converted, but I had been questioning my faith for many years before I liberated myself from it. I feel confident in my relatively new atheist worldview.

Those statements made...

It's a bit like getting slapped in the face with a trout over and over. Eventually one must put an end to it.

If you hang around here long enough, you will notice he type of xian we get.
We get the absolute nutter: "You're all going to hell!"
The sanctimonious twerp: "I forgive you for calling me a twerp you warp minded idiot!"
The fool: :But I am not meant to understand.:
The uneducated liar: "Evilution is untrue. My grampah was no ape!:
The ones with the wall:."Oh I hear you. Evilution is true. But god set it in motion 6000 years ago:
Etc etc etc.

After a while one's brain begins to rebel.

Another example is someone like Popsthebuilder. Yesterday he seemed genuinely interested for a while in learning about evolution. He was asking questions, people were spending time answering him... As it turned out it was all BS. He ended up putting up a stupid video of some transit authority guy saying evolution was a lie and then began posting utter nonsense. A complete waste of time.

Here on this site you will also come across non Americans. Non Americans do not usually have to put up with the jesus crap the way America does. For a first world nation, America is very backwards.

So people from Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand etc don't have much in the way of deconversion stories, or patience for putting up with the idiocy on display by Christian members.

Good luck and enjoy your time here.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
06-10-2015, 07:13 PM
It does get aggravating to be practically assaulted with Christianity everywhere I look - the public, Facebook friends, family members, and even work - but I understand that I don't really have the right to complain about it.

Everyone has their own thing, and I'm sure a lot of people around me don't like all my scientific/humanist/atheist talk. I just try to ignore the jesus stuff and pick my battles carefully.
[+] 3 users Like HumanistBabe's post