Jesus is the Reason for the Season!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2015, 03:59 PM
RE: Jesus is the Reason for the Season!
Hmm... don't know about the Jesus guy but I do like the holidays.

I'll just leave this here. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-12-2015, 04:53 PM
(10-12-2015 02:42 PM)mgoering Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 01:17 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  .... wait, WHAT?

That can't be right.

That CAN'T be right.

Christmas music is an annual attempt to recreate the antiquated childhood memories of baby boomers. It is NOT snappy!

(I made the mistake of walking into a store between Thanksgiving and Christmas yesterday. The horror.)

I'm talking strictly about the secular celebration; you know, tunes like "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas!" When I was on the fence about my faith, the Christmas season would just depress the hell out of me. I hated celebrating a holiday that made no sense at all. But belonging to a big family of believers, and living in a society where you're surrounded by it, it's impossible to avoid! So to keep from being miserable each year, I have changed my perspective on the whole thing. I choose to enjoy the things that really make me happy and completely drown out all of the rest of the BS.

As the little ditty I mentioned before goes: "I don't know if there'll be snow but I'll have a cup of cheer!"

Ugh. Yeah, it's secular, but it's still ugh. Name two popular Christmas songs that were written less than forty years ago. The entire genre is stale, stagnant, and monotonous.... especially when you play it over store intercoms for 10 hours straight with no break at all.
10-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Don't know about "popular" but I alwayss liked this one ...

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
10-12-2015, 06:20 PM

10-12-2015, 06:27 PM
(10-12-2015 01:12 PM)mgoering Wrote:  As an atheist I enjoy Christmas more than ever before! "Merry Christmas!" to me just means "Enjoy this festive pagan celebration with all the snappy tunes, the decorations, the parties. A whole week or two of good food, family, friends and merriment!" Screw all the holiday shopping though. It's too much stress to deal with.

It may also be a good time to remind all Christians of the origins of Christmas.

https://thetruthandlight.wordpress.com/2...christmas/

This won't make them question their faith. It will just put a big crimp in their enjoyment for the season. (see the comment section that follows the article)

So let me be the first to say: "Merry Christmas and a Happy Saturnalia to you!"

Particularly liked this part:

“In return for ensuring massive observance of the anniversary of the Savior’s birth by assigning it to this resonant date, the Church for its part tacitly agreed to allow the holiday to be celebrated more or less the way it had always been.” The earliest Christmas holidays were celebrated by drinking, sexual indulgence, singing naked in the streets (a precursor of modern caroling), etc.”

Banana_zorro

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
10-12-2015, 06:48 PM
(10-12-2015 03:14 PM)mgoering Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 03:04 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  There are many carols I enjoy.

Then there are the many versions of the carols sung as though the singer was auditioning for a Broadway interpretation of a reggae sewer back-up, accompanied by ten drunk sopranos.

If I hear The Little Drummer Boy one more time, I won't be responsible.

David Bowie and Bing Crosby had a decent version. But don't go listen, I don't want to be responsible either. Big Grin

And here I had always thunk it was the little dummy boy!
10-12-2015, 06:54 PM
(10-12-2015 03:04 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  There are many carols I enjoy.

Then there are the many versions of the carols sung as though the singer was auditioning for a Broadway interpretation of a reggae sewer back-up, accompanied by ten drunk sopranos.

If I hear The Little Drummer Boy one more time, I won't be responsible.

I hate that song so much.
10-12-2015, 07:01 PM
(10-12-2015 05:29 PM)kim Wrote:  Don't know about "popular" but I alwayss liked this one ...

Well said, Sarah Silverman! I too am sick of this blatant discrimination. Give ALL the Jew-girls toys.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
10-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Jesus is the Reason for the Season!
[Image: c53bbb4801207522932520b30da51dcb.jpg]

Anyone remember this guy?
[+] 3 users Like jason_delisle's post
10-12-2015, 07:29 PM
(10-12-2015 04:53 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Ugh. Yeah, it's secular, but it's still ugh. Name two popular Christmas songs that were written less than forty years ago. The entire genre is stale, stagnant, and monotonous.... especially when you play it over store intercoms for 10 hours straight with no break at all.

Silent Night and O Holy Night. Do I win?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post