Jesus myth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2014, 11:09 PM
RE: Jesus myth
(17-01-2014 11:04 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  The fact remains, if a stone is hurtling towards your mates, you don't cry out "look out for the son" The "son" of God (Jesus) was coming into Jerusalem in the gospels.

It doesn't say "look out for the son" it says "the son is coming" and replacing son with stone produces an ungrammatical sentence.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2014, 11:12 PM
(17-01-2014 11:04 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  No, I can't read Greek. Never said I could.

And you expect to be taken seriously on matters of the NT? How seriously would you take someone that couldn't read English on the topic of Shakespeare?
17-01-2014, 11:26 PM
(17-01-2014 11:12 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 11:04 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  No, I can't read Greek. Never said I could.

And you expect to be taken seriously on matters of the NT? How seriously would you take someone that couldn't read English on the topic of Shakespeare?

That's funny coming from someone who expects to be taken seriously on medical mattersBig Grin
17-01-2014, 11:41 PM
(17-01-2014 11:26 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  That's funny coming from someone who expects to be taken seriously on medical mattersBig Grin

No, it's a serious question. How can you expect to contribute anything to NT scholarship when you are unable to read the language the NT was originally written in?

Physiology, pharmacology, biochemsitry and experiment design are not a "foreign language" to me, I have the necessary background knowledge to understand papers on those fields. You on the other hand appear to be incompetent in those fields as well as incompetent in NT studies.

Again, your reading of that sentence in Josephus is entirely implausible and if you could read Koine Greek that would be apparent to you.

It seems that you are as much an NT studies quack as you are a medical quack. A thorough charlatan.
17-01-2014, 11:49 PM
Sorry if this is wrong, but wasn't that one of the raps against Atwill, too, that he was using English translations of things? Or am I remembering something else?

It reminds me of the Zeitgeist movie referring to Son = Sun, when English wasn't even a language then.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
17-01-2014, 11:59 PM
(17-01-2014 11:49 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Sorry if this is wrong, but wasn't that one of the raps against Atwill, too, that he was using English translations of things? Or am I remembering something else?

It reminds me of the Zeitgeist movie referring to Son = Sun, when English wasn't even a language then.

It never occurred to me that a person writing in Greek (Josephus) would think the Greek words for son and stone are similar. Chippy's imagining things.
17-01-2014, 11:59 PM
(17-01-2014 11:49 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Sorry if this is wrong, but wasn't that one of the raps against Atwill, too, that he was using English translations of things? Or am I remembering something else?

No, I think your recall is correct. I have Atwill's book CAESAR'S MESSIAH and I see in it only references to English translations of both the NT and Josephus' texts. Both Fulton and Atwill are incompetent and misguided.

If the task is to demonstrate a derivation then that can only be done using the texts in their original languages. Both texts need to be viewed as they would have been by their authors. Comparing English translations is risible.
18-01-2014, 12:04 AM
(17-01-2014 11:59 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  

It never occurred to me that a person writing in Greek (Josephus) would think the Greek words for son and stone are similar. Chippy's imagining things.

I wasn't referring to Josephus at all. Atwill's interpretations were from English translations, yes?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
18-01-2014, 12:15 AM
His Caesar's Messiah was self-published. Doesn't that send up a red flag for you, Mark? Why do you think that is?

----
18-01-2014, 12:26 AM
(17-01-2014 11:59 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  It never occurred to me that a person writing in Greek (Josephus) would think the Greek words for son and stone are similar. Chippy's imagining things.

You wrote:

Amazingly, Josephus even (accidentally?) writes “son” instead of “stone!”[1]

Given the structure of the sentence which carries υἱὸς it is incapable of carrying the word πέτρα so it can't be a one-word error. The entire sentence would have to be in error and that is highly implausible.