Jesus myth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2014, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2014 07:25 PM by Mark Fulton.)
RE: Jesus myth
(18-01-2014 04:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Mark, have you thought about (ever) the line "Render unto Caesar ... " in the synoptics makes no sense. Pompey conquered the Hasmonean Kingdom in about 63 BCE. Supposedly this statement would be uttered by someone within 100 years of that. Seems to me that would just not be something, someone would say within 100 years of a bitter conquest about a foreign ruler. Seems it reflects an attitude of a later time. If the theory that Christianity was created to imbue compliance, seems that's EXACTLY what that Rome would have "placed" in his mouth.

Absolutely! Jesus, if he ever existed, would never have made a pro Roman statement like this. It was placed in his mouth by pro-Roman propagandists.

The same thing can be said about Jesus’ injunctions to love your enemies, turn the other cheek, aspire to poverty, be content with misery, dream about heaven, be afraid of hell, and think like children...they take on a cynical meaning, because they were invented to pacify peasants, slaves and religious fanatics.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2014, 12:56 AM
Everyone interested in this topic should have a look at the following video. It only goes for roughly 10 minutes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlj5-iwKueQ
19-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Quote:1. Pliny the Elder lived in Jerusalem as an adult during the purported time of Jesus,
2. Recorded events concerning the Jews during that time,
3. But failed to write anything about Jesus ...

Sorry. You don't get to define "reasonable." Pliny collected stories from all over the Roman Empire for his Naturalis Historia but nothing about a dead criminal coming back to life after having been executed by a Roman magistrate. This would have been big news.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
19-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Quote:aspire to poverty, be content with misery, dream about heaven, be afraid of hell, and think like children

Sounds like the goals of the modern republican party, Mark.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
19-01-2014, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2014 09:09 PM by Free.)
(19-01-2014 06:31 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:1. Pliny the Elder lived in Jerusalem as an adult during the purported time of Jesus,
2. Recorded events concerning the Jews during that time,
3. But failed to write anything about Jesus ...

Sorry. You don't get to define "reasonable." Pliny collected stories from all over the Roman Empire for his Naturalis Historia but nothing about a dead criminal coming back to life after having been executed by a Roman magistrate. This would have been big news.

Seriously, but are you that fucking uneducated as to think that a Roman dignitary would believe such tall tales about some Jew coming back to life, and then write about it in a book that only details natural history? Do you even understand what Natural History is?

Not only that, do you even understand that Naturalis Historia is a fucking encyclopedia that details "Natural History" and NOT the history of the Roman Empire? What the fuck does an encyclopedia about the history of nature have in common with Jesus Fucking Christ?

That's like writing a book that is supposed to be about dogs, and then suddenly somewhere in the middle for 1 single page we start reading something about quantum physics, and then it goes back to talking about dogs again.

Does that really make any fucking sense to you? Really?

Go back to school, for fuck sakes. Einstein

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
19-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Ok, now I'm confused. Free, who are talking to, Min or Mark?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
19-01-2014, 09:27 PM
(19-01-2014 09:13 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Ok, now I'm confused. Free, who are talking to, Min or Mark?

Well, since I quoted Min, and my post directly addresses the context of his quote, what do you think?

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
19-01-2014, 09:28 PM
(19-01-2014 07:21 PM)Free Wrote:  Does that really make any fucking sense to you? Really?

Go back to school, for fuck sakes. Einstein

There appears to be a contest of ignorance and idiocy between Mark Fulton and Minimalist: two hobbyists--as Maklelan calls them--posting their asinine and implausible suppositions for the consumption of similarly ignorant and half-witted readers. The internet at its best.
19-01-2014, 09:36 PM
I was just wondering because you had both Min's and Mark's quotes in your response, no need to be testy.

Chippy, you calling me half-witted and ignorant because of this?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
19-01-2014, 09:37 PM
(19-01-2014 06:31 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Pliny collected stories from all over the Roman Empire for his Naturalis Historia but nothing about a dead criminal coming back to life after having been executed by a Roman magistrate. This would have been big news.

(1) Do you know what natural history is?
(2) Have you seen even the table of contents of an English translation of Naturalis Historia?
(3) How would a narrative about JC be incorporated into a text on natural history?

It appears that you think natural history has something to do with social history which suggests you have no business pontificating about NT history. Do the internet a favour and stop posting about this subject.
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post