Jesus myth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2014, 09:38 PM
RE: Jesus myth
(19-01-2014 09:28 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 07:21 PM)Free Wrote:  Does that really make any fucking sense to you? Really?

Go back to school, for fuck sakes. Einstein

There appears to be a contest of ignorance and idiocy between Mark Fulton and Minimalist: two hobbyists--as Maklelan calls them--posting their asinine and implausible suppositions for the consumption of similarly ignorant and half-witted readers. The internet at its best.

You are right, it's fucking insanity on steroids around here sometimes. These god damn conspiracy theorists keep crawling out of the woodwork like disease infected cockroaches and insulting the last shred of intelligence distinctive to the human race.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2014, 09:40 PM
(19-01-2014 09:36 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Chippy, you calling me half-witted and ignorant because of this?

No, not yet. Do you believe it is reasonable to expect to find a narrative concerning some nutty messianic Jew in a work that is explicitly and by implication of its content devoted to natural history?

If you do then I will have to say that you too are half-witted and ignorant.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2014, 09:44 PM
(19-01-2014 09:40 PM)Chippy Wrote:  No, not yet. Do you believe it is reasonable to expect to find a narrative concerning some nutty messianic Jew in a work that is explicitly and by implication of its content devoted to natural history?

No, of course not.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
19-01-2014, 09:46 PM
(19-01-2014 09:38 PM)Free Wrote:  You are right, it's fucking insanity on steroids around here sometimes. These god damn conspiracy theorists keep crawling out of the woodwork like disease infected cockroaches and insulting the last shred of intelligence distinctive to the human race.

Well, it's a reflection of the narcissism which so much characterises the zetigeist. If you give every idiot a bullhorn and a printing press they won't magically gain the ability to have something intelligent to say. Everyone now has a bullhorn and printing press hence the sea of shit that is the internet and the world of self-publishing.

All that can be done is what you are doing: beat down nonsense when it appears.
19-01-2014, 09:48 PM
I especially agree on the self-publishing point, something I touched on earlier in this thread. It's not publishing, it doesn't get vetted or edited, and anyone can do it.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
19-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Ok, I see where I erred before, Min was quoting you Free, but that was like five pages back so I thought he was quoting Mark given his ensuing post.

It would help if people are going to quote on here that they keep who said what. Smile

----
19-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Here's my perspective on Jesus' historicity, for what it's worth (not much). Which is simpler? Jesus was an actual man of history, of whom very little is actually known, because every aspect of his history is wrapped up in symbolism and myth, or is it simpler to presume that all he ever was, was symbolism and myth? I'm just not impressed by snippets of text here and there that strongly imply he was real. There are obvious motives for people to have written that.

I think the thing that probably made my subconscious shift gears on this, was the day I was reading and researching the story of the parable of the fig tree. This story clearly makes no sense at all if the author of it thought Jesus was a real person of history. But it makes a *lot* of symbolic sense. So here we have Jesus, supposedly a real person of history, placed in an obvious symbolic parable by the very authors who are the primary source of Jesus' material.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
19-01-2014, 11:10 PM
(19-01-2014 10:55 PM)toadaly Wrote:  So here we have Jesus, supposedly a real person of history, placed in an obvious symbolic parable by the very authors who are the primary source of Jesus' material.

Mythic parts were added to real figures in history (the virgin births of Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan), and likewise 'real' histories were added to entirely mythic figures (in a process called euhemerization). The presence of mythic elements and allegory alone are not enough to call it on one side of the coin or the other.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-01-2014, 11:38 PM
(19-01-2014 10:55 PM)toadaly Wrote:  Here's my perspective on Jesus' historicity, for what it's worth (not much). Which is simpler? Jesus was an actual man of history, of whom very little is actually known, because every aspect of his history is wrapped up in symbolism and myth, or is it simpler to presume that all he ever was, was symbolism and myth? I'm just not impressed by snippets of text here and there that strongly imply he was real. There are obvious motives for people to have written that.

I think the thing that probably made my subconscious shift gears on this, was the day I was reading and researching the story of the parable of the fig tree. This story clearly makes no sense at all if the author of it thought Jesus was a real person of history. But it makes a *lot* of symbolic sense. So here we have Jesus, supposedly a real person of history, placed in an obvious symbolic parable by the very authors who are the primary source of Jesus' material.

EK beat me to the point. I suggest you read what you can find with Google on the Melanesian cargo cults that sprang up during WWII. The cult of John Frum is instructive in that it shows how even a humble US troop can become a god. Oral traditions are especially vulnerable to this sort of deification because there is no basis for accurate comparison in the tellling of the myth at each generation. Small errors will accumulate and once an elder commits to some hyperbole it becomes a new part of the oral tradition.
20-01-2014, 12:13 AM
"There's a tribe on Guadalcanal that made a god out of a '39 Chevy!" -- Captain Benjamin Franklin Pierce, M*A*S*H

----