Jesus myth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2014, 07:44 AM
RE: Jesus myth
(20-01-2014 04:02 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I was offered a publishing contract, even though I didn't apply for it, and I turned it down. I didn't want to be told what to do when and how.

Can you expound on this for me, and why you are under the impression publishers tell you what to do, when and how? How could a legitimate publisher offer you a contract when you didn't even solicit them? I find not only that hard to believe, but that you turned down a chance to have your work legitimately edited and published for real revenue.

As for me, to answer your question, I deal in non-fiction.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2014, 02:12 PM
I read through the accounts in the New Testament gospels last night and made notes on the four versions of the resurrection. I realized that they are all completely different. They have different people going to the tomb, finding different people there, doing and saying different things. Jesus is then supposed to appear but he does so in four different places doing and saying different things. These different stories are so different that they are actually impossible to reconcile. For instance, in one gospel he tells the disciples to preach his message throughout the world while in another he tells them to stay in Jerusalem. In one gospel he appears to them on a mountain and in another in Jerusalem, in a third gospel he appears by the sea.

It is impossible to reconcile these accounts. I suggest if you don't believe me, then sit down with a pen and paper and write down exactly what each of the gospels says about Mary Magdelene and when she went to the tomb, with whom, what she saw and then compare the rest of the story.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Deltabravo's post
21-01-2014, 02:17 PM
(21-01-2014 02:12 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I read through the accounts in the New Testament gospels last night and made notes on the four versions of the resurrection. I realized that they are all completely different. They have different people going to the tomb, finding different people there, doing and saying different things. Jesus is then supposed to appear but he does so in four different places doing and saying different things. These different stories are so different that they are actually impossible to reconcile. For instance, in one gospel he tells the disciples to preach his message throughout the world while in another he tells them to stay in Jerusalem. In one gospel he appears to them on a mountain and in another in Jerusalem, in a third gospel he appears by the sea.

It is impossible to reconcile these accounts. I suggest if you don't believe me, then sit down with a pen and paper and write down exactly what each of the gospels says about Mary Magdelene and when she went to the tomb, with whom, what she saw and then compare the rest of the story.

[Image: ODD-1.gif]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
21-01-2014, 02:19 PM
(21-01-2014 02:17 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 02:12 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I read through the accounts in the New Testament gospels last night and made notes on the four versions of the resurrection. I realized that they are all completely different. They have different people going to the tomb, finding different people there, doing and saying different things. Jesus is then supposed to appear but he does so in four different places doing and saying different things. These different stories are so different that they are actually impossible to reconcile. For instance, in one gospel he tells the disciples to preach his message throughout the world while in another he tells them to stay in Jerusalem. In one gospel he appears to them on a mountain and in another in Jerusalem, in a third gospel he appears by the sea.

[Image: ODD-1.gif]

Your gif goes great with the music I am listening to at the moment!

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 1 user Likes Crulax's post
21-01-2014, 02:43 PM

Yep, we all know this. Bart Ehrman calls this reading the gospels "horizontally," meaning to read them side by side rather than in order like most would do when reading the bible. The discrepancies are far from limited to the gospels, too.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
21-01-2014, 03:59 PM

thanks, and welcome! Thumbsup

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
21-01-2014, 06:44 PM
(21-01-2014 04:06 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  So after discussing the history, I talk about churches, schools, psychology, social psychology, power, money, rational thinking, sex, guilt, heaven, hell etc etc. As a general practitioner with 20 years experience I feel I'm reasonably qualified to comment on such matters.

There is nothing in the syllabus of a MB BS or in general medical practice which qualifies you as an expert in "churches, schools, psychology, social psychology, power, money, rational thinking, sex, guilt, heaven, hell etc etc". How does treating old folks haemorrhoids or vaginal thrush infections make you "reasonably qualified to comment on such matters"?
21-01-2014, 06:51 PM
I just ordered
Bart Ehrman and the Quest of the Historical Jesus of Nazareth: An Evaluation of Ehrman s Did Jesus Exist? Paperback
by Richard Carrier (Author) , Ph.D. (Author) , D.M. Murdock (Author) , Earl Doherty (Author) , René Salm (Author) , David Fitzgerald (Author) , Frank R. Zindler (Author, Editor) , Robert M. Price (Author, Editor)

for my Kindle.
It looks to be a very interesting book!
From Amazon
Quote: When New Testament scholar Bart Ehrman published DID JESUS EXIST? THE HISTORICAL ARGUMENT FOR JESUS OF NAZARETH, he not only attempted to prove the historical reality of a man called *Jesus of Nazareth*, he sharply criticized scholars who have sought to develop a new paradigm in the study of Christian origins scholars who have claimed that Jesus was a mythical, not historical, figure, and that the traditional, Jesus-centered paradigm for studying the origins of Christianity must be replaced by an actual science of Christian origins. In the present volume, some of those scholars respond to Ehrman s treatment of their research and findings, showing how he has either ignored, misunderstood or misrepresented their arguments. They present evidence that *Jesus of Nazareth* was no more historical than Osiris or Thor. Several contributors question not only the historicity of *Jesus of NAZARETH,* they present evidence that the site of present-day Nazareth was not inhabited at the time Jesus and his family should have been living there.
21-01-2014, 07:12 PM
(21-01-2014 02:12 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I read through the accounts in the New Testament gospels last night and made notes on the four versions of the resurrection...I suggest if you don't believe me, then sit down with a pen and paper and write down exactly what each of the gospels says about Mary Magdelene and when she went to the tomb, with whom, what she saw and then compare the rest of the story.

So you've assumed that no one in the entire history of NT studies has noticed this and you are the first person to notice? That this was also the subject of a bestselling book is also something that you appear oblivious to.

Do you live in a hole?
21-01-2014, 07:39 PM
(21-01-2014 07:12 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 02:12 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I read through the accounts in the New Testament gospels last night and made notes on the four versions of the resurrection...I suggest if you don't believe me, then sit down with a pen and paper and write down exactly what each of the gospels says about Mary Magdelene and when she went to the tomb, with whom, what she saw and then compare the rest of the story.

So you've assumed that no one in the entire history of NT studies has noticed this and you are the first person to notice? That this was also the subject of a bestselling book is also something that you appear oblivious to.

Do you live in a hole?

Heya DB,

I see that you have met our resident arrogant impotent prick.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop