Jesus myth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2014, 10:07 AM
RE: Jesus myth
(25-01-2014 10:03 AM)Free Wrote:  
(25-01-2014 10:00 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Declaring something self-evident doesn't make it so.

Okay, so if I see a chair in the room, and then say, "There's a chair in the room," and everyone can see it, I should suppose that the chair is NOT in the room?

Really?

Drinking Beverage

You did not understand his statement. He did not say "Declaring something self-evident makes it not so."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-01-2014, 10:11 AM
(25-01-2014 10:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-01-2014 10:03 AM)Free Wrote:  Okay, so if I see a chair in the room, and then say, "There's a chair in the room," and everyone can see it, I should suppose that the chair is NOT in the room?

Really?

Drinking Beverage

You did not understand his statement. He did not say "Declaring something self-evident makes it not so."

I understood his comment perfectly.

"Declaring something self-evident doesn't make it so."

He said that because it is declared that something is self evident doesn't make it self-evident.

My response was directly on point.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
Find all posts by this user
25-01-2014, 10:14 AM
(25-01-2014 10:11 AM)Free Wrote:  
(25-01-2014 10:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  You did not understand his statement. He did not say "Declaring something self-evident makes it not so."

I understood his comment perfectly.

He said that because it is declared that something is self evident doesn't make it self-evident.

No, your answer was not on point. You clearly replied to his statement in the way I described.

25-01-2014, 10:15 AM
(25-01-2014 10:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-01-2014 10:11 AM)Free Wrote:  I understood his comment perfectly.

No, your answer was not. You clearly misunderstand his statement in the way I described.

Declaring something was misunderstood doesn't make it so.

Thumbsup

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
25-01-2014, 10:17 AM
(25-01-2014 10:15 AM)Free Wrote:  
(25-01-2014 10:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, your answer was not. You clearly misunderstand his statement in the way I described.

Declaring something was misunderstood doesn't make it so.

Thumbsup

And never admitting your errors doesn't mean you haven't made any. Yes

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-01-2014, 10:18 AM
(25-01-2014 10:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-01-2014 10:15 AM)Free Wrote:  Declaring something was misunderstood doesn't make it so.

Thumbsup

And never admitting your errors doesn't mean you haven't made any.

Well then, show me how I misunderstood his statement, and when you are done, I will show you how I understood it perfectly and why my response was on point.

25-01-2014, 10:20 AM
What grade are you in, Free? I have been under the impression that I am conversing with an adult, but now I question my initial assumption.
25-01-2014, 10:25 AM
The peoblem with your chair example is that you're not just saying there's a chair in the room. You are saying that because there's a chair in the room, we can conclude it was built by leprechauns and sold in Atlantis. Then you're declaring ALL of that to be self-evident and demanding proof from ME that you're wrong. It doesn't work like that.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
25-01-2014, 10:26 AM
(25-01-2014 10:20 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  What grade are you in, Free? I have been under the impression that I am conversing with an adult, but now I question my initial assumption.

Grade?

lol

Dude, I am old enough to likely be your grand-father. I have over 20 years experience on this subject with extensive studies in ancient religions and their histories.

I have always been an atheist. My take on Jesus is quite simple, and it's based on actual evidence.

This Jesus guy simply got too big for his britches and the "I - ain't - taking - any - of - your - fucking - bullshit" Romans kicked the shit out of him and strung him up on a couple of sticks and then laughed at him until he kicked the bucket. After that, most of the rest is bullshit.

It's that simple, and with the evidence to support it, it beats the fuck out of any other position.

25-01-2014, 10:30 AM
(25-01-2014 10:25 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  The peoblem with your chair example is that you're not just saying there's a chair in the room. You are saying that because there's a chair in the room, we can conclude it was built by leprechauns and sold in Atlantis. Then you're declaring ALL of that to be self-evident and demanding proof from ME that you're wrong. It doesn't work like that.

Fail.

Try again.