Jesus never existed (video)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Jesus never existed (video)
Some of you probably already seen this or heard it before. But it's news to me. I just found this out tonight.

https://youtu.be/Mqpo6N38UTQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2015, 07:52 PM
RE: Jesus never existed (video)
Some scholars say that. Others believe he existed as a person--but not as a demigod.
11-12-2015, 07:55 PM
This is a good article to check out by Richard Carrier. There were actually a lot of people running around during this time period who were very similar to Jesus. Jesus wasn't in any way unique.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/richa...kooks.html
11-12-2015, 08:05 PM
Joseph Atwill is considered to be a "top US Bible scholar"? That's news to me. Laughat

As far as I'm concerned, people ought to defer to the consensus of the academic community of a given subject if they lack the expertise and/or education to make their own judgement. Rejecting this man's outrageous claims comes as natural to me as rejecting the crackpot theories from people in other academic fields (e.g. Creationists whose claims go against the consensus of the global community of evolutionary biologists).

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
11-12-2015, 08:10 PM
(11-12-2015 07:50 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Some of you probably already seen this or heard it before. But it's news to me. I just found this out tonight.

https://youtu.be/Mqpo6N38UTQ

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. There are lots of reasons to doubt he did.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-12-2015, 08:18 PM
Mark Fulton will be here any sec ...

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
11-12-2015, 08:23 PM
(11-12-2015 08:05 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Joseph Atwill is considered to be a "top US Bible scholar"? That's news to me. Laughat

As far as I'm concerned, people ought to defer to the consensus of the academic community of a given subject if they lack the expertise and/or education to make their own judgement. Rejecting this man's outrageous claims comes as natural to me as rejecting the crackpot theories from people in other academic fields (e.g. Creationists whose claims go against the consensus of the global community of evolutionary biologists).

Except there really is no "consensus" of unbiased historians on the subject. For the most part, the only people interested in the subject are religious people, employed by institutions which would fire them if they dared to suggest he wasn't really an historical person. There are a few remarkable exceptions. I've never seen a poll of unbiased historians, expert in that particular period of time, despite many claims to the contrary.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-12-2015, 09:20 PM
(11-12-2015 08:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Except there really is no "consensus" of unbiased historians on the subject. For the most part, the only people interested in the subject are religious people, employed by institutions which would fire them if they dared to suggest he wasn't really an historical person. There are a few remarkable exceptions. I've never seen a poll of unbiased historians, expert in that particular period of time, despite many claims to the contrary.
You know the saying, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. It's completely absurd to suggest that the majority of experts in this field are biased to the point of being unreliable based on nothing but conjecture and hyperbole.

How do you define an unbiased historian anyway? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
11-12-2015, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 09:44 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(11-12-2015 09:20 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 08:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Except there really is no "consensus" of unbiased historians on the subject. For the most part, the only people interested in the subject are religious people, employed by institutions which would fire them if they dared to suggest he wasn't really an historical person. There are a few remarkable exceptions. I've never seen a poll of unbiased historians, expert in that particular period of time, despite many claims to the contrary.
You know the saying, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. It's completely absurd to suggest that the majority of experts in this field are biased to the point of being unreliable based on nothing but conjecture and hyperbole.

How do you define an unbiased historian anyway? Consider

Show me ONE poll of any "experts" in the field. It's not "conjecture and hyperbole" to assume that people EMPLOYED by religious institutions are "occupationally obligated" to tow the line. It's called "a conflict of interest" and just healthy skepticism. There is no "body" of non-religious experts in the field that even talk about the subject. The claim is that there is a consensus. Where did you get that idea ?

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-12-2015, 09:41 PM
Quote:As far as I'm concerned, people ought to defer to the consensus of the academic community of a given subject if they lack the expertise and/or education to make their own judgement.

What happens when it is a bunch of theologians who make their living peddling bullshit to the ignorant masses? Oh, I know. THEY don't have an AGENDA like the skeptics, do they?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!