Jesus of Gamala

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2014, 02:13 PM
RE: Jesus of Gamala
I don't really care if some preacher named Jesus existed; the miracle-working, risen-from-the-dead Jesus of the Bible almost certainly did not.

And Ralph Ellis? Really? The guy is a charlatan - just Google him. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-01-2014, 02:50 PM
(28-01-2014 02:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't really care if some preacher named Jesus existed; the miracle-working, risen-from-the-dead Jesus of the Bible almost certainly did not.

Didn't we run him off long ago (eliis)? I seem to recall he had a hard time keeping his own 'facts' straight.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
28-01-2014, 03:36 PM
(28-01-2014 02:04 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  While I am appreciative of the exceptional artistic talent involved and my son thinks these photographs are, in his words "cool", I think we are becoming distracted. I feel as though I am a kindergarten teacher in a class of children with attention disorders and Tourettes.

Well, you *did* ask for a show of hands.

I like them all. Did you send your son to the web page? There's much more.

Why do you see yourself as some kind of teacher here? Who hired you to teach here?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
28-01-2014, 11:28 PM
(28-01-2014 02:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't really care if some preacher named Jesus existed; the miracle-working, risen-from-the-dead Jesus of the Bible almost certainly did not.

I agree that the risen from the dead Jesus never existed. Which is why I find the reaction to people like Joe Atwill and Ralph Ellis to be strange. Neither say he did. Atwill says that some people including Josephus constructed Jesus Christ using stories from the War of the Jews so that the New Testament reflects the campaign of Titus Flavius. Ellis writes about Jesus of Gamala, who was a Jewish High Priest and was crucified.

Equallly, you might not care about Jesus of Gamala. Ok. So you aren't interested in that history. Some people are.

Did Ellis violate some rule of this forum? I know it is ok to call someone a "sick fuck" here because they joke about being told they are beating a dead horse so it is okay to abuse people for expressing their ideas, but if you don't like their ideas, you all get together and drive them off. Is that how "free speech" works?
28-01-2014, 11:40 PM
TTA Forum Rulez

Thumbsup

28-01-2014, 11:45 PM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2014 11:57 PM by Bucky Ball.)
The reaction you've received is because almost every week, or more often, a new nut shows up with a new batshit take on batshit. Some Bible-coders show up all the time, and say THEY ALONE have discovered the hidden SECRET, and they will share it. It seems you are not nuts. There are some here who think Atwill may have some kernels of interest, (Mark Fulton here, has written a book which will be out shortly on the subject). There were all kinds of Jesuses, and messiah figures running around at that time, many of them thought to be doing miracles. It may be a new discovery to you, but it's not to many of us. None of us totally agree on any of it. Some of us think there was an historical Jesus, some of us think not. You can look around at Mark's threads, at the threads on St. Paul here, and various other threads on the historicity of Jebus, or start a new one. Or check out Simon of Perea, or google the other messiah figures.

(BTW, no one hates animals here. We 'specially seem to love cats) Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-01-2014, 11:50 PM
(28-01-2014 11:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  (BTW, no one hates animals here. We 'specially seem to love cats) Weeping

...and the nice thing here is that no one is stingy with their secret recipes.

Thumbsup

29-01-2014, 12:02 AM
(28-01-2014 11:28 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Did Ellis violate some rule of this forum? I know it is ok to call someone a "sick fuck" here because they joke about being told they are beating a dead horse [...]
Jesus Christ, you really have no sense of humor, do you? I was obviously making fun of the way you responded to my initial post in this thread.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
29-01-2014, 01:49 AM
We like finding dead horses to beat.

More than that, we are acutely attracted to redundancy.

I do see Jesus as a mythical reconfiguration of many gods: Horus, Krishna, Attis, Zoroaster, the list goes on . . . the Inanna story.

I don't know where you are from Deltabravo, but in the States, especially in the South where I live, atheism is vilified in the USA. Many Atheists here are isolated, as a result we are attracted to dead horses (metaphor).

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
29-01-2014, 01:51 AM
(28-01-2014 11:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The reaction you've received is because almost every week, or more often, a new nut shows up with a new batshit take on batshit. Some Bible-coders show up all the time, and say THEY ALONE have discovered the hidden SECRET, and they will share it. It seems you are not nuts. There are some here who think Atwill may have some kernels of interest, (Mark Fulton here, has written a book which will be out shortly on the subject). There were all kinds of Jesuses, and messiah figures running around at that time, many of them thought to be doing miracles. It may be a new discovery to you, but it's not to many of us. None of us totally agree on any of it. Some of us think there was an historical Jesus, some of us think not. You can look around at Mark's threads, at the threads on St. Paul here, and various other threads on the historicity of Jebus, or start a new one. Or check out Simon of Perea, or google the other messiah figures.

(BTW, no one hates animals here. We 'specially seem to love cats) Weeping

Hi deltabravo. I happen to like some of Atwill's ideas. I tried to understand Ralph but just got more and more confused, so gave up. Both topics have been done to death here....you might like to use the search button to read more.

Welcome....don't be put off if you get a bit of shit thrown at you....it happens to everyone here.....it toughens you up....and often brings you back to earth.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post