Jesus out in the desert

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Jesus out in the desert
I'm always curious how people believe this crap.

So Jesus goes out in the desert and is tempted by the devil and he has sort of a conversation with the devil and blah, blah, blah and there's three temptations and blah, blah and then after 40 days returns from the desert and blah, blah, blah happens.

I always wondered, did someone follow him out there and write all this stuff down? Or did Jesus come back and brag, er, um, tell everyone about it?

When Jesus went out to the garden of Gethsemane and talks to god, comes back and finds his disciples asleep, did someone follow him out there and write it down? Same question with the ghost that impregnates Mary. Was someone in the room besides the ghost to witnessed the rape, er, um, conception so they could write it all down?

Firstly, the Mary and Jesus characters in the story seemed to have a lot of visions and hallucinations and may have needed some anti-psychotic medication....... secondly, who was around to write it all down.

How in gods name (pun intended) do people not think about this and realize it isn't evidence but just story telling. I did when I first heard these stories at 8 or 9 years old. I mean.....Facepalm Dodgy

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2014, 01:15 PM
RE: Jesus out in the desert
It's magic. Don't expect to understand it. Angel

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
23-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Cuz the bible says the stories are real. They couldn't be in the bible if they weren't real because the bible is completely true. It says so in the bible.

That is exactly the kind of circular reasoning that they use.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
23-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Maybe the Holy Spirit testified to the author, so they knew what to write. No word on as to why the Holy Spirit gave the different authors of the gospels conflicting info.

That, or maybe they just made it all up.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
23-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Looking at the stuff now with non-religious eyes is just wierd. Hard to believe I use to believe this stuff and defend it.
23-04-2014, 02:23 PM
It would stand to reason that Jebus had a "ghost" writer following him around... bwahahahaha ,um, I mean, ya know Smartass

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
23-04-2014, 02:40 PM
(23-04-2014 02:22 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Looking at the stuff now with non-religious eyes is just wierd. Hard to believe I use to believe this stuff and defend it.

I grew up in a freethinking family so when I was a kid I wasn't indoctrinated. Eventually I discovered the Bible wasn't a novel (I actually thought it was until I was about 12) but supposed to be a true story so I wondered how and who wrote it all down. Some guy following Jesus around with scrolls of papyrus and a stick dipped in ink recording it all for accuracy? If not then this guy Jesus must be very full of himself. I mean really!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
23-04-2014, 03:04 PM
I've heard one christian talk about how the bible was written down by many different people many years after the event and that it was God talking through them. The fact that they all wrote down the same stuff and that it was all perfectly consistent and none of them had the means to collaborate was proof for him.

Of course none of the author's works are consistent with one another and you could just as easily apply his argument to fairy tales.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
23-04-2014, 03:16 PM
(23-04-2014 03:04 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I've heard one christian talk about how the bible was written down by many different people many years after the event and that it was God talking through them. The fact that they all wrote down the same stuff and that it was all perfectly consistent and none of them had the means to collaborate was proof for him.

Of course none of the author's works are consistent with one another and you could just as easily apply his argument to fairy tales.

I've heard the argument that the inconsistencies show that the works are independent testimonies and therefore *more* trustworthy Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-04-2014, 03:16 PM
(23-04-2014 12:54 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm always curious how people believe this crap.

So Jesus goes out [and astounding, freaky, mind-blowing stuff happens].

I always wondered, did someone follow him out there and write all this stuff down? Or did Jesus come back and brag, er, um, tell everyone about it?

How in gods name (pun intended) do people not think about this and realize it isn't evidence but just story telling.

Believe it or not, people have thought about this. And dripplets of this problem and attempted solutions to it have even ended up in the very same scripture that is revered thousands of years later. A classical example of a "probably fictional character inventend to lend credence to the testimony in question" is the Beloved Disciple in the fourth gospel, who doesn't appear anywhere else in the canon (not totally sure about apocrypha, but nothing comes to my mind there either). Here's a switch-your-brains-off-for-a-moment overview of the BD and some unpious thoughts on why he came to exist:

The whole (lengthy) series is worth watching imo.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post