Jesus returns!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Jesus returns!
Jesus has returned ... time and time again. Ok well maybe not Jesus per se. But people claiming to be Jesus. Lots of them.

Alan John Miller in Australia, Vissarion in Siberia, Inri Cristo in Brazil, Sun Myung Moon I japan (now dead) Jim Jones in america (now dead) and the list goes on and on. All these men have had large followings hundreds to thousands, devout believers many with devastating consequences.

So it makes me wonder, what the qualifications would be for a believer to accept a individuals claim of being the reincarnation of Jesus Christ.

Would he have to do one of the magic tricks preformed in the bible?
Like walking on water.

Turning water to wine?

Making multiple of something?

What would be expected?

Would the parlor tricks he preformed in the bible be enough to convince a modern audience?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
23-07-2016, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2016 01:50 PM by cactus.)
RE: Jesus returns!
I doubt the Biblical miracles were even parlor tricks. Probably just made up stories. Just look at some of the myths today.
Do you think bigfoot and Loch Ness Monster stories were the result of parlor tricks? Never underestimate the ability of people to unquestioningly believe any random shit they hear from their friends. Drinking Beverage

What would it take for me to buy into these supernatural claims? Well, they'd have to become natural, by way of independent peer-reviewed studies, and lots of them.
What would it take to convince entire first-world civilizations who have access to the internet? Hmm, probably a few generations of childhood indoctrination, and a very very powerful organization with a profit motive Consider

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
23-07-2016, 02:22 PM
How about some evidence that fucking jesus was here the first time? Start there.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
23-07-2016, 03:21 PM
(23-07-2016 01:18 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Jesus has returned ... time and time again. Ok well maybe not Jesus per se. But people claiming to be Jesus. Lots of them.

Alan John Miller in Australia, Vissarion in Siberia, Inri Cristo in Brazil, Sun Myung Moon I japan (now dead) Jim Jones in america (now dead) and the list goes on and on. All these men have had large followings hundreds to thousands, devout believers many with devastating consequences.

So it makes me wonder, what the qualifications would be for a believer to accept a individuals claim of being the reincarnation of Jesus Christ.

Like walking on water.

Turning water to wine?

What would be expected?

Would the parlor tricks he preformed in the bible be enough to convince a modern audience?

Several years ago I posted a screen shot off of the satellite TV (I think I've still got it somewhere), from the channel guide. It was from one of the religious channels, and the summary said a "Christian magician" would replicate Jesus' miracles.

So, I guess the short answer to your question is "No."

Which brings up the question, and not wanting to hijack the thread, how old are parlor tricks and sleight of hand? Was Jesus actually a lounge act?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
23-07-2016, 03:47 PM
What would it take to convince people? First we'd have to accept the flat earth theory. Because it says that when JC returns he will drop down out of the sky through the clouds and every eye shall see him. How would it be possible if the anti-bible spherical earth theory were correct? If he could be seen in London he couldn't possibly be seen in Chicago or Sidney.
[+] 2 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
23-07-2016, 04:10 PM
(23-07-2016 03:21 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(23-07-2016 01:18 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Jesus has returned ... time and time again. Ok well maybe not Jesus per se. But people claiming to be Jesus. Lots of them.

Like walking on water.

Turning water to wine?

What would be expected?

Several years ago I posted a screen shot off of the satellite TV (I think I've still got it somewhere), from the channel guide. It was from one of the religious channels, and the summary said a "Christian magician" would replicate Jesus' miracles.

So, I guess the short answer to your question is "No."

Which brings up the question, and not wanting to hijack the thread, how old are parlor tricks and sleight of hand? Was Jesus actually a lounge act?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
24-07-2016, 12:10 AM
Although I know it is absolutely forbidden to mention the name of *(%$*&&)) on this forum, he has written exactly the same thing.

Why would we assume that the magic in the bible was real and not just magic? The water into wine trick is a well known magic trick which was used by Philo of Alexandria, I think.

Religion is a con. Why would the proponents of it not use magic tricks?

Jesus was visited at his supposed birth by the Magi...

For me, walking on water, is just a misinterpretation of "swimming". You would be surprised how many British sailors, who lived on an island, and went to sea, couldn't swim. There were no swimming pools in those days, and the sea was too cold. No one had a Speedo. It was all too difficult.

"He can swim" and they were amazed!
26-07-2016, 03:59 PM
(24-07-2016 12:10 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Although I know it is absolutely forbidden to mention the name of *(%$*&&)) on this forum, he has written exactly the same thing.

Why would we assume that the magic in the bible was real and not just magic? The water into wine trick is a well known magic trick which was used by Philo of Alexandria, I think.

Religion is a con. Why would the proponents of it not use magic tricks?

Jesus was visited at his supposed birth by the Magi...

For me, walking on water, is just a misinterpretation of "swimming". You would be surprised how many British sailors, who lived on an island, and went to sea, couldn't swim. There were no swimming pools in those days, and the sea was too cold. No one had a Speedo. It was all too difficult.

"He can swim" and they were amazed!

Yeah but the ancient Jews had a word for swim. שָׂחָה (sachah) why wouldn't they have used that? Although it's a funny image. I feel it's a stretch.

26-07-2016, 04:00 PM

27-07-2016, 02:18 AM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2016 02:30 AM by Shadow Fox.)
(26-07-2016 04:00 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  

The funny thing is even if Jesus did return. No one would believe him outside of a small cult sized group of people. Just like all the others.
Reminds me of a movie bible reloaded reviewed once where jesus owned a diner and stuff. Kind of boring.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ