Jesus returns!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2016, 02:58 AM
RE: Jesus returns!
(26-07-2016 03:59 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 12:10 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Although I know it is absolutely forbidden to mention the name of *(%$*&&)) on this forum, he has written exactly the same thing.

Why would we assume that the magic in the bible was real and not just magic? The water into wine trick is a well known magic trick which was used by Philo of Alexandria, I think.

Religion is a con. Why would the proponents of it not use magic tricks?

Jesus was visited at his supposed birth by the Magi...

For me, walking on water, is just a misinterpretation of "swimming". You would be surprised how many British sailors, who lived on an island, and went to sea, couldn't swim. There were no swimming pools in those days, and the sea was too cold. No one had a Speedo. It was all too difficult.

"He can swim" and they were amazed!

Yeah but the ancient Jews had a word for swim. שָׂחָה (sachah) why wouldn't they have used that? Although it's a funny image. I feel it's a stretch.

Ol' Dot-Connector DeltaB (aka Ralphie's smelly sock) isn't the type to be troubled by *facts* Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-07-2016, 06:05 AM
"I should know - I've followed a few"...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-07-2016, 01:19 PM

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
11-09-2016, 06:32 PM
(23-07-2016 01:18 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Jesus has returned ... time and time again. Ok well maybe not Jesus per se. But people claiming to be Jesus. Lots of them.

Alan John Miller in Australia, Vissarion in Siberia, Inri Cristo in Brazil, Sun Myung Moon I japan (now dead) Jim Jones in america (now dead) and the list goes on and on. All these men have had large followings hundreds to thousands, devout believers many with devastating consequences.

So it makes me wonder, what the qualifications would be for a believer to accept a individuals claim of being the reincarnation of Jesus Christ.

Would he have to do one of the magic tricks preformed in the bible?
Like walking on water.

Turning water to wine?

Making multiple of something?

What would be expected?

Would the parlor tricks he preformed in the bible be enough to convince a modern audience?

That trick of turning water in some sort of wine would never work in the story described within The Bible. Why? Because one man was offered to taste that drink. and he confirmed that the water indeed turned into wine.
12-09-2016, 03:31 AM
(11-09-2016 06:32 PM)Roustam Wrote:  That trick of turning water in some sort of wine would never work in the story described within The Bible. Why? Because one man was offered to taste that drink. and he confirmed that the water indeed turned into wine.

a. You think that some idiot writing in 80 AD from oral tradition stories communicated the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth? Facepalm
b. You think that substituting water for wine as a Christee parlour trick couldn't be done with actual wine? Facepalm

You ever have trouble tying your shoelaces?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-09-2016, 05:02 AM
Peter Popoff or Robert Tilton would have owned these primitive dupes.

I don't think Jeebus would have stood a chance if they had been around back then.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-09-2016, 05:10 AM
(11-09-2016 06:32 PM)Roustam Wrote:  
(23-07-2016 01:18 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Jesus has returned ... time and time again. Ok well maybe not Jesus per se. But people claiming to be Jesus. Lots of them.

Alan John Miller in Australia, Vissarion in Siberia, Inri Cristo in Brazil, Sun Myung Moon I japan (now dead) Jim Jones in america (now dead) and the list goes on and on. All these men have had large followings hundreds to thousands, devout believers many with devastating consequences.

So it makes me wonder, what the qualifications would be for a believer to accept a individuals claim of being the reincarnation of Jesus Christ.

Would he have to do one of the magic tricks preformed in the bible?
Like walking on water.

Turning water to wine?

Making multiple of something?

What would be expected?

Would the parlor tricks he preformed in the bible be enough to convince a modern audience?

That trick of turning water in some sort of wine would never work in the story described within The Bible. Why? Because one man was offered to taste that drink. and he confirmed that the water indeed turned into wine.

I could see this in a Monty Python skit, they would simply place a vase with wine in front of a half-drunk dupe and tell him that it had water in it 5 minutes ago before Jesus waved his hand over it. The half-drunk dupe would then go around proclaiming what a tremendous miracle he had witnessed, then Jesus would have to pay whoever placed the wine in front of the dupe because he probably had a bet that the dupe wouldn't fall for it.

I'm sure they were laughing their asses off at that prank, then one of them probably thought - you know, we could probably get more money and ass than any of us could ever dream of if we took our show on the road!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-09-2016, 09:23 AM
(23-07-2016 01:18 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Turning water to wine?

Urge to do this sometime is rising rapidly. Also towards the end there with the box that comes up for you to click to another video, "Now let's make it glow in the dark". You know me well, whomever is behind the Science stuff on About.com, you know me well.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2016, 10:06 AM
Wait, I thought Peter Sellers was Jesus.... I have proof too!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
12-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Here's a handy list of Jewish, Christian and Muslim messiah claimants.

I'm at work but I will look though it when I get home it's kind of interesting.

Isn't there also some kind of "condition" or "psychosis" where some people that visit Jerusalem suddenly start thinking that they are Jesus?

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard