Jesus's genealogy problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2016, 08:43 AM
RE: Jesus's genealogy problem
(14-01-2016 09:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  If Jesus is the son of god why is Joseph the father.

Joseph was legally the father of Jesus because he was Mary's husband when Jesus was born.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2016, 08:51 AM
(15-01-2016 08:43 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 09:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  If Jesus is the son of god why is Joseph the father.

Joseph was legally the father of Jesus because he was Mary's husband when Jesus was born.

And?

Actually, there is no "legally" like that in Jewish law. You're mixing up modern day practice with Jewish law.
Find all posts by this user
15-01-2016, 09:55 AM
(15-01-2016 08:21 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 09:47 AM)Imathinker Wrote:  I wonder what would happen if you sequenced jesus's dna. Scrape some off the shroud of turin or whatever. Or get some from a eucharist.

You'd find that he had a Roman father.

Nautius Maximus, according the Life of Brian

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
15-01-2016, 09:59 AM
(14-01-2016 09:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  But.... but....why is Joseph listed as his father? How does this even work. If Jesus is the son of god why is Joseph the father. God supposedly knocks up Mary with himself but Joseph is the father. Hummm. This simply doesn't make any sense. Yeah, yeah, I know....it's the Bible and the Bible is screwy.

When they wrote the genealogy they had not invented the idea of JC being God yet. later it was dubbed in "Joseph who was supposed as the father of Jesus"
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
15-01-2016, 01:31 PM

Either Joe is the baby daddy and Jesus isn't the son of god or Matt and Luke were writing about a local rabbi with a lot of charisma but no divinity. Or Jesus is the son of god, missing a bunch of DNA which isn't possible because pigs don't fly. Laugh out load

Then the next problem? Luke and Matthew have a totally different genealogy list. One or the other... or both are lying through their teeth.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-01-2016, 01:38 PM
(15-01-2016 08:51 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 08:43 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Joseph was legally the father of Jesus because he was Mary's husband when Jesus was born.

And?

Actually, there is no "legally" like that in Jewish law. You're mixing up modern day practice with Jewish law.

One has to wonder how she managed to provide evidence to the religious leaders for her divine conception? I mean how else did she avoid being stoned to death for being pregnant with a child that was admittedly not her husband's? Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-01-2016, 03:17 PM
(15-01-2016 08:39 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 08:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Not "only", but you do have a point. And the fact is, it changed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrilineality_in_Judaism

Okay, wait. Bucky, I disagree with the logic put forth in that Wikipedia page. I think it discounts a few key details.

But whether I disagree on those few points or not, the practice of matrilineal descent was well in place during the time that Jesus was said to have lived. We all agree that the character of Jesus was Jewish because of Mary, but he couldn’t have had the support and acknowledgement as a messianic candidate from the Jewish people if Joseph wasn’t his father. Lineage passed down through Mary is totally irrelevant and would have been viewed as such by the Jews of that era.

I agree ... I was going to write a note about the messianic candidate thing.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-01-2016, 04:01 PM
(15-01-2016 01:38 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 08:51 AM)Aliza Wrote:  And?

One has to wonder how she managed to provide evidence to the religious leaders for her divine conception? I mean how else did she avoid being stoned to death for being pregnant with a child that was admittedly not her husband's? Consider

I wonder why god didn't ask Mary's dad's permission to knock her up. I mean, it's just common decency.

I makes me laugh, Joseph is often depicted in art as an old guy.

[Image: Guido_Reni_-_Saint_Joseph_and_the_Christ...roject.jpg]

It must have been pretty tough on the old codger traveling for three days on foot to get back to Bethlehem.

But then sometimes he'd depicted as younger looking. More like your friendly neighborhood child molester.

[Image: May1-St.%20Joseph%20the%20_166249.jpg]

Ick.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-01-2016, 04:15 PM
(15-01-2016 09:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 08:21 AM)Aliza Wrote:  You'd find that he had a Roman father.

Nautius Maximus, according the Life of Brian

Nautius Maximus may have been Tiberius Julius Abdes Pantera

https://jamestabor.com/an-unnamed-father-of-jesus/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
15-01-2016, 04:18 PM

Prove it.
A "geneology" is about genes. Not about the law.
Some day you maybe will decide it might be better to engage your brain, instaed of swallowing the shit they handed to you in Bible Camp.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post