Jesus's genealogy problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2016, 05:43 PM
RE: Jesus's genealogy problem
(19-01-2016 02:52 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 02:46 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Herod's own son doesn't even seem to remember when his father ordered every child 2 years of age and younger in Bethlehem to be slaughtered!

No historians of the era have noted this either. You would think the Romans would have noted if their subjects engaged in a mass slaughter...

Or Philo of Alexandria or one of the other comtemporary Jewish commentators who wrote about all kinds of other less dramtic stuff, would have said something.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-01-2016, 05:48 PM
(19-01-2016 10:55 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 10:21 AM)theophilus Wrote:  The one who was one of the apostles who was closest to Jesus. There were times when Jesus took Peter, James, and John apart from the other disciples and revealed things only to them.

If you assume the gospel was written by John the Evangelist. Tradition assigns authorship of the gospels. There is no actual historical evidence to support authorship.

(19-01-2016 10:21 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Why do you think he couldn't read Aramaic?

I can't find the reference for the literacy of John, so I may be wrong on that point.

However, the vast, vast majority of the people in biblical times were illiterate. The few who were educated were wealthy and lived in the cities. Tradition states that John and the apostles were poor fishermen eking out a living in a backwater town. The likelihood of any of them being literate would be very low. And we are talking only about their own language, not Greek.

Authorship of the gospels, languages and literacy, this has all been thoroughly worked out by experts. It simply doesn't hold up.

Anyone who could read had the right to ge referred to as rabbi.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
19-01-2016, 06:22 PM
(19-01-2016 05:48 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 10:55 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  If you assume the gospel was written by John the Evangelist. Tradition assigns authorship of the gospels. There is no actual historical evidence to support authorship.

I can't find the reference for the literacy of John, so I may be wrong on that point.

However, the vast, vast majority of the people in biblical times were illiterate. The few who were educated were wealthy and lived in the cities. Tradition states that John and the apostles were poor fishermen eking out a living in a backwater town. The likelihood of any of them being literate would be very low. And we are talking only about their own language, not Greek.

Authorship of the gospels, languages and literacy, this has all been thoroughly worked out by experts. It simply doesn't hold up.

Anyone who could read had the right to ge referred to as rabbi.

Well then, you may call me 'Rabbi'.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
19-01-2016, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2016 07:44 PM by Aliza.)
(19-01-2016 06:22 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 05:48 PM)DerFish Wrote:  Anyone who could read had the right to ge referred to as rabbi.

Well then, you may call me 'Rabbi'.

Awesome!

Rabbi, I have a question about some dishes I think I treifed up.
19-01-2016, 07:27 PM
The begat stories vary between Gospels , but that doesn't even matter to me. How the fuck can you talk about genes in the first place without a second set of DNA? Unless there is such a thing as magical invisible god goo, I smell a phony of a story because "poof" simply doesn't cut it for me. Hey God, care to be on an episode of Maury Povich?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2016, 09:30 PM
(19-01-2016 07:27 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  The begat stories vary between Gospels , but that doesn't even matter to me. How the fuck can you talk about genes in the first place without a second set of DNA? Unless there is such a thing as magical invisible god goo, I smell a phony of a story because "poof" simply doesn't cut it for me. Hey God, care to be on an episode of Maury Povich?

[Image: anigif_enhanced-buzz-1640-1357844652-8.gif]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
20-01-2016, 11:15 AM
(19-01-2016 06:27 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 06:22 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Well then, you may call me 'Rabbi'.

Awesome!

Rabbi, I have a question about some dishes I think I treifed up.

Somebody get sick in the sink?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.