Jesus should've come by now?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2014, 03:44 PM
RE: Jesus should've come by now?
(27-11-2014 03:33 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 03:26 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  So, I did a bit of research, knowing some Ancient Greek and all.

I found all the instances of "generation" in the New Testament and they are all instances of the same word in the Ancient Greek text.

Even though this word can mean quite a lot of things (from family, to origin, to race, to age, to birth), the fact that it is the exact same word in instances where it clearly means "generation" proves that there is no "bad translation" there.

I don't think you're reading it with the right wilfully ignorant cognitive dissonance guidance of the holy spirit, there, friend.

When classical-era authors use a word, it means precisely what latter-day apologists want it to mean.

Oh, bummer.
Should've thought of that Tongue

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
27-11-2014, 04:00 PM
(27-11-2014 03:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  He already came again and went again and nobody noticed.

We did.
He did some errands for my mom, and she sent pies home with him, for his family, and gift cards so they can all go shopping tomorrow.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-11-2014, 04:12 PM
(27-11-2014 04:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 03:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  He already came again and went again and nobody noticed.

We did.
He did some errands for my mom, and she sent pies home with him, for his family, and gift cards so they can all go shopping tomorrow.

Funny that you mention it, I recently heard about his mom paying some poor lady's debt here. Can't be a coincidence Consider

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
27-11-2014, 04:16 PM
(27-11-2014 03:26 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  So, I did a bit of research, knowing some Ancient Greek and all.

I found all the instances of "generation" in the New Testament and they are all instances of the same word in the Ancient Greek text.

Even though this word can mean quite a lot of things (from family, to origin, to race, to age, to birth), the fact that it is the exact same word in instances where it clearly means "generation" proves that there is no "bad translation" there.

Yeah, well, if the story doesn't make any realistic sense, for instance a biblical "day" isn't an actual day, then a biblical "generation" needs to re-interpreted in the same manner. It really HAS to be re-interpreted otherwise the story falls totally apart. There is no redemption, no second coming, no christianity. It hinges on this concept of a second coming so it's very important to make the word "generation" work no matter what. I

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
27-11-2014, 05:55 PM
[Image: 52283121.jpg]

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
28-11-2014, 05:06 AM
Thanks for a lot of interesting and witty replies.

I find it funny that the bible clearly (or is it really "clearly"?) reveals that its expiration date was about 2000 year ago, and yet people can read these revealing verses over and over again without seeing it.
28-11-2014, 06:59 AM
(28-11-2014 05:06 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  Thanks for a lot of interesting and witty replies.

I find it funny that the bible clearly (or is it really "clearly"?) reveals that its expiration date was about 2000 year ago, and yet people can read these revealing verses over and over again without seeing it.

They are forced to do a lot of mental twisting within themselves, playing word semantic games and covering of the eyes to try to move forward with their faith. I think Matthew 16:28 is pretty clear though, no matter how much they play peek a boo with themselves. Self delusion is such an interesting and baffling phenomenon.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
28-11-2014, 07:36 AM
(28-11-2014 06:59 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 05:06 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  Thanks for a lot of interesting and witty replies.

They are forced to do a lot of mental twisting within themselves, playing word semantic games and covering of the eyes to try to move forward with their faith. I think Matthew 16:28 is pretty clear though, no matter how much they play peek a boo with themselves. Self delusion is such an interesting and baffling phenomenon.

Jesus and his propagandist Paul were spectacularly wrong. I think Paul even changed his boisterous tone about the second coming as he languished under Roman house arrest in his later years.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
28-11-2014, 05:22 PM
I hope he does come back.

Then when he resurrects Pontius Pilate, Pilate can crucify his sorry ass all over again!

Drinking Beverage

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 3 users Like Free's post
28-11-2014, 05:48 PM
(28-11-2014 05:22 PM)Free Wrote:  I hope he does come back.

Then when he resurrects Pontius Pilate, Pilate can crucify his sorry ass all over again!

Drinking Beverage

I see what you did there. Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post