Jesus should've come by now?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2014, 04:54 PM
RE: Jesus should've come by now?
"Holy crap is this really the blood of Christ? This guy must have been wasted 24/7!!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
01-12-2014, 02:49 AM
Fun quotes from the Second Coming:

Quote:Who put up crosses everywhere?

Quote:I wonder who that Gallic fellow is.

Quote:You named it the Church of What?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
01-12-2014, 02:44 PM
(27-11-2014 07:59 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  Hello everybody!

My first post here, weeehee!

So I asked this priest the other day (who has a vast knowledge about the bible)
about the verse that says something along the lines that Jesus would come back before a certain generation for about 2k years would pass away.
I also told him that the verse right after says that neither Jesus, God or anyone know which day or hour and not year, generation or month which would point in the direction that it is specifying that it will happen a day and hour during that generation.

So my question was basically: Shouldn't Jesus have returned?
He answered: It's probably just a bad translation and the word generation was most likely used to mean the whole generation of jews and until there's no jews left and they all have died out, which we all know they haven't.

I was like: Hmm... ok..

Days after, I thought to myself that it doesn't explain why the words "day or hour" is being used instead of years and month if the bible were talking about that the whole jew race has to die out first (is race a wrong word?).

So, what is your take on this?
Can this verse be defended, or does it make the whole bible crumble?

I think "Jesus" did come back, but he wasn't called Jesus.

He was Titus, the son of God, and he returned within one generation, in 70 CE, when he ransacked Jerusalem, laid low the temple, and punished a wicked generation of Jews.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Re: Jesus should've come by now?
He hasn't had the Second Coming because, as any man knows, you need a bit of rest between them.
01-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Concrete Blonde pointed out another possibility in their song "Tomorrow, Wendy"

Quote:I told the priest
"don't count on any second coming
God got his ass kicked
the first time he came down here slumming."

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
01-12-2014, 08:40 PM
How would we know if this was or not already the rapture?

I feel like that can be better construed into one of those goofy- checkmates!

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Hmmm...

Why (I know why!) can I only find verses that seem to suggest an imminent eschaton on atheist sites? How many of you have posted verses here that suggests the return of Christ was actually far off from the apostles' day:

*It would not happen until the gospel had been shared worldwide and to all people groups
*It would not happen until the third temple, with dimensions different than the first two as described by Ezekiel, was visited by antichrist who was being "held back" in Jesus's day
*It would not happen until after Paul's death and Peter's death
*It would not happen until after hot and cold wars and worldwide apostasy
*It would not happen until after Israel was a revived Jewish state after a long diaspora

And so on...

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
02-12-2014, 03:08 PM
(02-12-2014 02:55 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Hmmm...

Why (I know why!) can I only find verses that seem to suggest an imminent eschaton on atheist sites? How many of you have posted verses here that suggests the return of Christ was actually far off from the apostles' day:

*It would not happen until the gospel had been shared worldwide and to all people groups
*It would not happen until the third temple, with dimensions different than the first two as described by Ezekiel, was visited by antichrist who was being "held back" in Jesus's day
*It would not happen until after Israel was a revived Jewish state after a long diaspora

And so on...

Those aren't Bible verses, they appear to be something you made up.
[+] 1 user Likes Rik's post
03-12-2014, 06:59 AM
(02-12-2014 03:08 PM)Rik Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 02:55 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Hmmm...

And so on...

Those aren't Bible verses, they appear to be something you made up.

I would venture to guess those are his interpretations... I mean.. the interpretations all true christians would make.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Hmmm. Matthew 24 is one key location where an imminent return is "preached" here on these forums:

Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. - verses 34 and 35

So why not look in the SAME CHAPTER, INDEED THE SAME SPOKEN STATEMENT OF JESUS:

And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come. - verse 14

That's one of the points I raised--that the gospel will be preached worldwide before the return of Jesus Christ.

And leads to another point--the way atheists both trim the scriptures to suit some (if I may say so, "screwball") interpretations and at other times, read what others post as THEY trim the scriptures--and take these rumors for face value when they are very wrong.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.