Jesus was Married???

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
19-09-2012, 10:43 AM
RE: Jesus was Married???
Right at the very end of the video, the woman is speaking about the most important aspect of this finding. She touches on the fact that at that time, someone or some group was deciding what to put into a book. Since there are many different accepted versions of story content, this adds to the controversial idea of editing a holy book. It kind of demotes the notion of being either inspired by or the actual word of a supposed God.

I like that her emphasis on excitement was about the discussion of book editing and the decisions of the editors. This is the most profound thing about her research; not content of the fragment, but the fact that it supports the notion of fabrication.

It's part of the story of how of a piece of literature comes into being. It's obviously not the work of a single person or there wouldn't be so many different (and now radical) accepted versions. It's probably not the work of any witness or witnesses or they'd have gotten their stories straight. Most any other extreme bit of info can effectively halt the notion of being "inspired" by God - as many are desperate to believe.

I don't know if the researcher was a Theist or not, but I admire her approach to the acceptance of diversity of conversation about historical documents in general. She's saying you really can't believe everything you read. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-09-2012, 11:24 AM
(18-09-2012 06:29 PM)Livelife8072 Wrote:  But, I want conversation from Christians and other to see what they think.

One point that gets overlooked in discussions like this is that there were many people named Jesus. It is likely that many of them were married.

Quote:When they had gone through the whole island as far as Paphos, they came upon a certain magician, a Jewish false prophet named Bar-Jesus.
(Acts 13:6 ESV)

The name Bar-Jesus means son of Jesus but I don't think anyone believes that his father was the same Jesus as the one in the gospels.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Here's a link to the article about this on the BBC website.

I'm not gonna bother even approaching this with Christians. If they can do enough mental gymnastics to become Christians in the first place then I don't see that anything will change their mind, definitely not a scrap of parchment.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
19-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Researchers had identified the words "Jesus said to them, 'my wife' would be totally awesome; she'd have medium to smallish breasts and love cats."

I'm pretty sure that's how the rest of the ancient papyrus scrap went. The semicolon might be speculation on my part. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
19-09-2012, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2012 11:56 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-09-2012 11:46 AM)kim Wrote:  Researchers had identified the words "Jesus said to them, 'my wife' would be totally awesome; she'd have medium to smallish breasts and love cats."

I'm pretty sure that's how the rest of the ancient papyrus scrap went. The semicolon might be speculation on my part. Shy

We need to have another "like" category, so we can "double like" something, as AWESOME. Tongue
My friend Mary wants me to stop and see her two new twin baby cats. One is named Sevrus and one is named Snape.

Anyway, your "inclusion" point is so insightful. It took scholars 1300 years to realize that inclusion was a dynamic community validation process, and never a cut and dry thing.
I like Dr. King. I've been in her class.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop fucking it up with your prayers. Oh look. See what I LEARNED.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-09-2012, 11:55 AM
(19-09-2012 10:43 AM)kim Wrote:  Right at the very end of the video, the woman is speaking about the most important aspect of this finding. She touches on the fact that at that time, someone or some group was deciding what to put into a book. Since there are many different accepted versions of story content, this adds to the controversial idea of editing a holy book. It kind of demotes the notion of being either inspired by or the actual word of a supposed God.

I like that her emphasis on excitement was about the discussion of book editing and the decisions of the editors. This is the most profound thing about her research; not content of the fragment, but the fact that it supports the notion of fabrication.

It's part of the story of how of a piece of literature comes into being. It's obviously not the work of a single person or there wouldn't be so many different (and now radical) accepted versions. It's probably not the work of any witness or witnesses or they'd have gotten their stories straight. Most any other extreme bit of info can effectively halt the notion of being "inspired" by God - as many are desperate to believe.

I don't know if the researcher was a Theist or not, but I admire her approach to the acceptance of diversity of conversation about historical documents in general. She's saying you really can't believe everything you read. Wink

This was a debate going on throughout the 2nd, 3rd and 4th century. Certain documents were more circulated then others, some contained what the early church deemed unorthodox ideas (ie heretical). Overall, there were many gospels out there and the church pretty much declared all but 4 heresies and compiled those that fitted the church's orthodoxy best into the bible.

As for Jesus being married, this indeed is nothing new. These ideas have been around since the 2nd century at least. What's interesting is that a document has surfaced that actually shows that early christians did have these ideas.
[+] 1 user Likes ABC's post
19-09-2012, 12:30 PM
It's an interesting discovery (if it proves authentic)! But probably ultimately irrelevant to Christianity without the context of the full manuscript it belongs to. And even then it would probably still be irrelevant to Christians. But for historical studies it's pretty neat!
19-09-2012, 12:31 PM
One of my friends sent me a translation of the entire fragment.

"Mary is worthy of it.....Jesus said to them, 'my wife'....she will be able to be my disciple...let the wicked people swell up....as for me, i swell with her in order to..."

Go for it Erxomai. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop fucking it up with your prayers. Oh look. See what I LEARNED.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-09-2012, 12:48 PM
(19-09-2012 12:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  she will be able to be my disciple...let the wicked people swell up....as for me, i swell with her in order to...

Blink
What?!- -where'd that part come from? I think the fragment that states "she will be able to be my disciple" is waaay more important than anything other part! Why isn't that getting any attention?! Consider

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-09-2012, 12:50 PM
(19-09-2012 12:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  One of my friends sent me a translation of the entire fragment.

"Mary is worthy of it.....Jesus said to them, 'my wife'....she will be able to be my disciple...let the wicked people swell up....as for me, i swell with her in order to..."

Go for it Erxomai. Weeping

He was a swell guy?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post