Jesus was NOT the Messiah

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: Jesus was NOT the Messiah
(23-10-2014 11:00 AM)Learner Wrote:  
(23-10-2014 10:11 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Correct.

Laugh out load Damn, I got a good, needed laugh out of that! That's hilarious. What movie's that from??

Monty Python's The Life of Brian.

I highly recommend it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
23-10-2014, 11:17 AM
(23-10-2014 08:53 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Thanks for the reference to the Rabbi. I'll see what he has to say. There is also a fairly new book by Bart Ehrman "How Jesus Became a god" which I like first, because in the title, he references the correct translation of the Greek word "exaltation" (which makes perfect sense in the context of Jewish Apocalypicism (NOT "resurrection")).
http://www.amazon.com/How-Jesus-Became-G...0061778184
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-look

I know a lot of what the Rabbi says can be found elsewhere, but personally, I really found his style fun to listen to, I value the scholarship and seriousness he brought to the topic, I enjoyed his jokes and light-heartedness, and I especially enjoyed his Brooklyn accent. It was a great intro for me into some of these topics leading to deeper study elsewhere. I'm also a huge fan of Dr Ehrman and have read several of his books. I'd also heartily recommend the work of E.P. Sanders. Sanders' book on the historical Jesus is worth its weight in gold, even moreso than anything I've read by Ehrman. He demolishes any possibility of the birth narrative stories in the Gospels having a reliable historical basis (that was my favorite part). Sanders, like Ehrman, also is of the school interpreting Jesus as being an apocalypticist.
23-10-2014, 12:08 PM
(23-10-2014 11:00 AM)Learner Wrote:  
(23-10-2014 10:11 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Correct.

Laugh out load Damn, I got a good, needed laugh out of that! That's hilarious. What movie's that from??

YOU NEVER SAW LIFE OF BRIAN?!!!!

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
23-10-2014, 03:01 PM
(23-10-2014 12:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(23-10-2014 11:00 AM)Learner Wrote:  Laugh out load Damn, I got a good, needed laugh out of that! That's hilarious. What movie's that from??

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?

That's one of my favorite movies. Probably seen it 10 times. The sermon on the mount scene is worth watching over and over again.

Blessed are the cheesemakers. Angel

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
23-10-2014, 04:04 PM
What have the Romans ever done for us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
23-10-2014, 04:36 PM
(23-10-2014 03:01 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Blessed are the cheesemakers. Angel

That's obviously not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any makers of dairy products.

Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
23-10-2014, 04:39 PM
(23-10-2014 04:36 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(23-10-2014 03:01 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Blessed are the cheesemakers. Angel

That's obviously not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any makers of dairy products.

Thumbsup

It's a metaphor - don't take it out of context.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-10-2014, 06:09 PM
"If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off."

[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
23-10-2014, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2014 07:41 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-10-2014 11:17 AM)Learner Wrote:  
(23-10-2014 08:53 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Thanks for the reference to the Rabbi. I'll see what he has to say. There is also a fairly new book by Bart Ehrman "How Jesus Became a god" which I like first, because in the title, he references the correct translation of the Greek word "exaltation" (which makes perfect sense in the context of Jewish Apocalypicism (NOT "resurrection")).
http://www.amazon.com/How-Jesus-Became-G...0061778184
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-look

I know a lot of what the Rabbi says can be found elsewhere, but personally, I really found his style fun to listen to, I value the scholarship and seriousness he brought to the topic, I enjoyed his jokes and light-heartedness, and I especially enjoyed his Brooklyn accent. It was a great intro for me into some of these topics leading to deeper study elsewhere. I'm also a huge fan of Dr Ehrman and have read several of his books. I'd also heartily recommend the work of E.P. Sanders. Sanders' book on the historical Jesus is worth its weight in gold, even moreso than anything I've read by Ehrman. He demolishes any possibility of the birth narrative stories in the Gospels having a reliable historical basis (that was my favorite part). Sanders, like Ehrman, also is of the school interpreting Jesus as being an apocalypticist.

He makes some excellent points, many of which have been raised here in various discussions. We know no Jew would have suggested anyone would drink blood, therefore we KNOW that "the last supper" reflected a much later period. But his "200 years later" timeline is not correct. We know that as late as 400 CE (St.) John Chrysostom (in his Christmas sermon to his congregation in Constantinople, (which we have a copy of) STILL was telling them to stop going to synagogue ... ) So they STILL thought of themselves as Jews much later.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-10-2014, 07:21 PM
(23-10-2014 12:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(23-10-2014 11:00 AM)Learner Wrote:  Laugh out load Damn, I got a good, needed laugh out of that! That's hilarious. What movie's that from??

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?

I never seen it either, What is it about?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ