"Jesus was a Jewish carpenter"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2012, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2012 11:35 PM by Buddy Christ.)
"Jesus was a Jewish carpenter"
The carpenter part, despite being claimed in Indiana Jones (the cup of a carpenter), can be disputed. It is often said that Jesus was a carpenter, but the Bible only says that his father, Joseph was a carpenter and assumed it ran in the family. But this is rarely promoted since it's possible that the Son of God was a shitty carpenter. Jesus the Messiah? Yeah I remember him. Can't manage to make a table that doesn't wobble and you expect me to believe that he's God reincarnate?

But forget all that, I want to talk about the Jewish part. Jesus of Nazareth was Jewish. He followed the commandments of the Old Testament, he was often seen having discussions with rabbis in temples, and was born and raised in a Jewish family. He was even referred to as the King of the Jews! The only difference between him and the other Jews was that he claimed that he was part of the big plan. He wanted in on the action. So don't pray to God and do the things God says, because only through ME can you be saved.

I just don't understand how Christians can be so not-Jewish. The very person they claim to be God himself (the very same God of Judaism by the way) is quite openly Jewish. And yet Christians rarely have any idea what Judaism even is. They don't know its tenants, its teachings, its traditions, etc.

That's like if I, Buddy Christ, devoted my life to convincing people how great Denzel Washington was. I went town to town, telling people about Denzel and familiarizing them with his movies, claiming that I alone was his biggest follower. I constantly spoke aloud, as if I were speaking directly to Denzel. I even suggested that I was part Denzel, in white man form. I was then tortured and killed in an electric chair with the words President of the Denzel Fanclub carved in the chair. And then a group of people called Buddy Christians form and devote their lives to me and all my teachings... but completely discard the Denzel Washington aspect of it. They praise me for my "love and goodly natured mannerisms." And when asked about Denzel, a modern day Buddy Christian responds, "Who?"

The shit's chess, it ain't checkers!

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
29-06-2012, 12:35 AM
RE: "Jesus was a Jewish carpenter"
This doesn't seem to be a great mystery to me.

The people who call themselves Christian only focus on the Jesus character in the book because they believe he will save them from God's hell, even though hell isn't really mentioned until Jesus comes along. So Jesus brings up the idea of hell and then offers himself as a way to get out of going there.

Although his character is written as a Jew, in the bible, the Jews themselves don't believe that he is the Messiah. They don't buy into the hell bit either. They were skeptical. I like that about them.

You have two camps - one that follows the teachings of Jesus as their savior from hell and one that follows the old testament giving no credence to the idea that this Jesus is the Messiah. Christians would have no desire to learn the religious rituals of a group that doesn't buy into the story that Jesus is a savior and vice versa.

Either way, it's all about debating a fairy tale. Fun for the entire family

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
29-06-2012, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2012 01:13 AM by fstratzero.)
The way the majority of people see Christianity is derpy in the modern era, and overly simplistic.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
29-06-2012, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2012 06:21 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(28-06-2012 11:32 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Can't manage to make a table that doesn't wobble and you expect me to believe that he's God reincarnate?

Jesus of Nazareth was Jewish. He followed the commandments of the Old Testament, he was often seen having discussions with rabbis in temples, and was born and raised in a Jewish family. He was even referred to as the King of the Jews! The only difference between him and the other Jews was that he claimed that he was part of the big plan. He wanted in on the action. So don't pray to God and do the things God says, because only through ME can you be saved.

I just don't understand how Christians can be so not-Jewish. The very person they claim to be God himself (the very same God of Judaism by the way) is quite openly Jewish. And yet Christians rarely have any idea what Judaism even is. They don't know its tenants, its teachings, its traditions, etc.

That's like if I, Buddy Christ, devoted my life to convincing people how great Denzel Washington was. I went town to town, telling people about Denzel and familiarizing them with his movies, claiming that I alone was his biggest follower. I constantly spoke aloud, as if I were speaking directly to Denzel. I even suggested that I was part Denzel, in white man form. I was then tortured and killed in an electric chair with the words President of the Denzel Fanclub carved in the chair. And then a group of people called Buddy Christians form and devote their lives to me and all my teachings... but completely discard the Denzel Washington aspect of it. They praise me for my "love and goodly natured mannerisms." And when asked about Denzel, a modern day Buddy Christian responds, "Who?"

The shit's chess, it ain't checkers!

A very interesting subject. Check out the sermons of the 4th and 5th Century Christian, Saint John Chrysostom. They WERE Jews, and they thought of themselves as Jews for many centuries. "You must stop going to the synagogue...etc". So you have to look at things in historical context. Yeshua never calimed to be a "son of god", and certainly, he never claimed divinity. The divinity claims are different in each of the gospels, (and are interesting in the nerdly context of each of the directed audiences for that particular gospel), and the title "son of god" was a general honorific, like "patriot", or "good guy" means today, which was given to many many people..generals, politicians, and other popular people. The singular, specific was a much later development. "He" made none of the claims you mentioned. The claims came to be made about him, in a very complex developmental process. Talk to Mark Fulton. Just because a gospel "places" a claim about him "in his mouth", (as a literary device), does not mean he made the claim. I'm not so sure he "wanted in on the action". He seemed to be saying "the kingdom of god is at hand", and as one of the many itinerant apocalyptics, who did the same thing, he certainly thought the end was coming in his lifetime, (and actually the fact it didn't was one of the HUGE developmental influences which affected the development of the cult, especially after the Bar Kokhba revolt after the turn of the century, and still nothing happened, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Kokhba_revolt , in terms of divine intervention, they had to begin to re-think everything..and it's actually the reason the "church" developed). The Jew hating was very complicated. I can't even begin to start with that. Check out Mark Fulton's book. It was not monolithic. So yes, your points, pointing out the ridiculous-looking positions are totally valid from our point of view, and should give anyone pause, but historically, they also fail, 100%, and prove to me only that Christianity has failed 150 % to remember and teach it's own real history.

Sorry, I shouldn't hijack your thread. We have argued these points, in other places, for anyone interested, in a non-fundie historical view.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
29-06-2012, 06:50 AM
(29-06-2012 12:35 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Jesus: the savior from hell
That would make a good movie. Can anyone mock up a poster?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post