Jesus was a progressive atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Jesus was a progressive atheist
I've come to see how Jesus was likely a progressive enlightened soul who may well have been killed because of his 'atheist' teachings as much as as for any personal messianic claims. It is documented that many Romans accused early Christians of being atheists because they did not honor the Roman gods. Were Jewish religious leaders upset that Jesus claimed divinity for himself or was that redacted into the Bible later by Christians who felt they needed to establish a new religious cult in order to be protected under Roman law?!?! When Jesus says I and the father are one is he making divine claims about himself or is he really undermining any ideas about this divine father. Is he saying we are made in the image of a deity or is he saying this divine father we worship is really just'one' of us?!? We and this 'father' are one??
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2014, 09:23 PM
RE: Jesus was a progressive atheist
Yup.

The Greeks referred to the Jews as 'atheists' (the word has Greek etymology) because they didn't go for Athena and the other hot goddesses.

Likewise, the Romans referred to the christians as atheists.

The gospels are merely fan-fiction. No one knows what Jesus actually said.

His divinity was agreed upon at the Council of Nicaea 300 years later.

If you don't agree ... you're a fucking heretic and you're arse is banhammered!

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
02-08-2014, 09:36 PM
There is also the argument that Jesus didn't ever make any direct claims to divinity. I suppose it's a bit of subjective interpretation, but then again anything he allegedly said in the bible is hearsay and most likely made up in the first place.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
02-08-2014, 10:00 PM
(02-08-2014 08:55 PM)brett1974 Wrote:  ... or is he saying this divine father we worship is really just'one' of us?!? We and this 'father' are one??

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-08-2014, 11:17 PM
DLJ the Athanasian creed really spells out exactly how screwed you are for failing to believe exactly what the church teaches... Lots of anathema if you question anything at all...
Even heathen much I suppose is hearsay though much of his teachings actually take religious zealots to task... Fascinating then how the church in his name became the very epitome of arrogance he is said to have warned against