Jesus wins the popularity contest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Jesus wins the popularity contest
Do any of you ever get this argument from Christians? They say Jesus was the most influential person in history so therefore there must be some truth to his being divine. Rolleyes I'm just curious what arguments you present against this.

A family member said this to me recently and what I replied was if no one had ever heard of Jesus, then someone else would have been the most influential and would that person then have had to be divine? Consider And I added that Jesus also has the biggest PR campaign of anyone else in history - with all the proselytizing and missionary work that Christians do - it's no wonder he has had such influence.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
27-02-2014, 12:11 PM
RE: Jesus wins the popularity contest
I get argument that if something was popular for x years then it must be true. Basically argument from popularity + time.
Doesn't counter the fact that there are fuckton of religions that were popular for long amount of time. Take your pick.
27-02-2014, 12:33 PM
(27-02-2014 12:05 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Do any of you ever get this argument from Christians? They say Jesus was the most influential person in history so therefore there must be some truth to his being divine. Rolleyes I'm just curious what arguments you present against this.

A family member said this to me recently and what I replied was if no one had ever heard of Jesus, then someone else would have been the most influential and would that person then have had to be divine? Consider And I added that Jesus also has the biggest PR campaign of anyone else in history - with all the proselytizing and missionary work that Christians do - it's no wonder he has had such influence.

Pity all that influence wasn't used for the betterment of society on a whole. To really learn to live together peacefully and to accept one another.

I know a lot of people have this image of jesus as being a hippy, sitting on the ground in tattered clothing and imagine that he'd be smoking pot and listening to The Grateful Dead.

Honestly I don't think so. I think he'd be more like the odd cult leader getting people to sell everything and follow him. Like a doomsday cult. I'm sure eventually those around him would become corrupt, even if he wasn't. The cult leader is far more effective when it appears he's altruistic in his beliefs but insulates himself with thugs --- to do the heavy lifting for him. Like Scientology.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-02-2014, 12:39 PM
most people know Hitler, he was popular, known the world over by generations of people…..not for the right reasons….popular and known by many doesn't make it a good thing.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
27-02-2014, 12:39 PM
(27-02-2014 12:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Pity all that influence wasn't used for the betterment of society on a whole. To really learn to live together peacefully and to accept one another.
Very good point.

Matthew 10:34-35 Wrote:Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth: it is not peace I have come to bring, but a sword. For I have come to set son against father, daughter against mother, daughter-in-law against mother-in-law

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
27-02-2014, 12:41 PM
(27-02-2014 12:39 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  most people know Hitler, he was popular, known the world over by generations of people…..not for the right reasons….popular and known by many doesn't make it a good thing.
True. Or influential. Not all influence is necessarily good either.

27-02-2014, 12:41 PM
I like when they claim it's the biggest religion in the world. It's more likely they talk about it in America since it's even more prolific, but really, if you're looking at popularity, you need to look world-wide.

So, yes, Christianity is the single biggest religion (if you lump all the sects together and forget all their massive differences)... but it's tautologically true that if 35% of people believe Christianity is the true religion, 65% of people believe it's not.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
27-02-2014, 12:43 PM
(27-02-2014 12:39 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 12:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Pity all that influence wasn't used for the betterment of society on a whole. To really learn to live together peacefully and to accept one another.
Very good point.

Matthew 10:34-35 Wrote:Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth: it is not peace I have come to bring, but a sword. For I have come to set son against father, daughter against mother, daughter-in-law against mother-in-law

There are far too many people who focus on the hippy dippy jesus. But yeah I think if he were alive today he'd be like a cult leader tearing apart for his own weird shits and giggles.

Look at Charles Manson...sure technically he committed no murders but he made sure as shit his followers would...And there were still "family" members that continued his batshit ideals long after he was thrown in prison.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-02-2014, 12:55 PM
(27-02-2014 12:05 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Do any of you ever get this argument from Christians? They say Jesus was the most influential person in history so therefore there must be some truth to his being divine.
I thought the Beatles were more popular than Jesus.

Problem is Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson, Tony Iommi, Joe Satriani, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton... are the gods even though they are less popular than Beiber (who is definately not a god).
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
27-02-2014, 12:59 PM
(27-02-2014 12:41 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I like when they claim it's the biggest religion in the world. It's more likely they talk about it in America since it's even more prolific, but really, if you're looking at popularity, you need to look world-wide.

So, yes, Christianity is the single biggest religion (if you lump all the sects together and forget all their massive differences)... but it's tautologically true that if 35% of people believe Christianity is the true religion, 65% of people believe it's not.
By "popular", I think they mean impact on the world in addition to how much he is known. If you Google "most influential people in history", Jesus is at the top of most lists (although not all, LOL). That is true about the 35% vs. 65%, but the 65% can't be all lumped together under the influence of an alternative person.