Jesus wins the popularity contest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 01:02 PM
RE: Jesus wins the popularity contest
(27-02-2014 12:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 12:39 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Very good point.

There are far too many people who focus on the hippy dippy jesus. But yeah I think if he were alive today he'd be like a cult leader tearing apart for his own weird shits and giggles.

Look at Charles Manson...sure technically he committed no murders but he made sure as shit his followers would...And there were still "family" members that continued his batshit ideals long after he was thrown in prison.
Scary thought. Blink

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2014, 01:03 PM
(27-02-2014 12:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 12:05 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Do any of you ever get this argument from Christians? They say Jesus was the most influential person in history so therefore there must be some truth to his being divine.
I thought the Beatles were more popular than Jesus.

Problem is Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson, Tony Iommi, Joe Satriani, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton... are the gods even though they are less popular than Beiber (who is definately not a god).

The Beatles were more popular than jebus. Angel

But Clapton is god!

[Image: 779AAF5A-238B-4D2D-8568-8856D6A36609-478...542064.jpg]

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-02-2014, 01:04 PM
I wish Christians would just up and confess that Christianity and/or the belief in Jesus is simply faith-based. Instead, they try and justify their faith and make retarded comments which further detriments any credibility from anyone that can half way think logically.

Moreover, it's kind of an insult to Christ to try and justify a faith based claim with empirical evidence as it demeans salvation and God's gift to His beloved.

smh Christians. Get with the program.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
27-02-2014, 01:15 PM
(27-02-2014 12:59 PM)Impulse Wrote:  By "popular", I think they mean impact on the world in addition to how much he is known. If you Google "most influential people in history", Jesus is at the top of most lists (although not all, LOL). That is true about the 35% vs. 65%, but the 65% can't be all lumped together under the influence of an alternative person.

Good point.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
27-02-2014, 01:15 PM
(27-02-2014 01:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I wish Christians would just up and confess that Christianity and/or the belief in Jesus is simply faith-based. Instead, they try and justify their faith and make retarded comments which further detriments any credibility from anyone that can half way think logically.

Moreover, it's kind of an insult to Christ to try and justify a faith based claim with empirical evidence as it demeans salvation and God's gift to His beloved.

KC, not to get too sidetracked here, but since you linked the verse is that supposed to be saying that we atheists were not given God's gift of grace? That's what it sounds like to me - that we cannot be saved by grace through faith (and cannot obtain grace) without the gift from God. And it is by grace alone that we can be saved. Am I reading in too much there?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
27-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Btw which time should be counted as important? If you go back 2100 years christianity was definitely not the dominant religion. Were the popular religions of that time correct because they were in majority? Or were they bullshit all the way?
Truth is independent of the believers.
27-02-2014, 01:21 PM
(27-02-2014 01:15 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 01:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I wish Christians would just up and confess that Christianity and/or the belief in Jesus is simply faith-based. Instead, they try and justify their faith and make retarded comments which further detriments any credibility from anyone that can half way think logically.

KC, not to get too sidetracked here, but since you linked the verse is that supposed to be saying that we atheists were not given God's gift of grace? That's what it sounds like to me - that we cannot be saved by grace through faith (and cannot obtain grace) without the gift from God. And it is by grace alone that we can be saved. Am I reading in too much there?

Nope you got it.

It's saying that the only way to receive faith is to be given it by God. Without that gift, there can be no salvation. This is also an argument between elect/non-elect.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
27-02-2014, 01:23 PM
He may have been infuential as far as giving reason for christianity to get kick started, and have millions follow that story on faith. But, influential as far as changing the world - not so much. The same crap that plagued the world back then is still around today.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
27-02-2014, 01:24 PM
(27-02-2014 01:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 01:15 PM)Impulse Wrote:  KC, not to get too sidetracked here, but since you linked the verse is that supposed to be saying that we atheists were not given God's gift of grace? That's what it sounds like to me - that we cannot be saved by grace through faith (and cannot obtain grace) without the gift from God. And it is by grace alone that we can be saved. Am I reading in too much there?

Nope you got it.

It's saying that the only way to receive faith is to be given it by God. Without that gift, there can be no salvation. This is also an argument between elect/non-elect.
Ok. Well then, when God sends me to hell, I'll be sure to tell him "Thanks a lot! I'm going there because you were stingy with your gifts." Big Grin

27-02-2014, 01:25 PM
And btw if christianity is going to lose popularity in future and another religion will come about does it mean the new religion becomes the truth all of a sudden? XD
[+] 2 users Like donotwant's post