Jesus wins the popularity contest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2014, 09:51 AM
RE: Jesus wins the popularity contest
(03-03-2014 05:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 12:05 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Do any of you ever get this argument from Christians? They say Jesus was the most influential person in history so therefore there must be some truth to his being divine. Rolleyes I'm just curious what arguments you present against this.

A family member said this to me recently and what I replied was if no one had ever heard of Jesus, then someone else would have been the most influential and would that person then have had to be divine? Consider And I added that Jesus also has the biggest PR campaign of anyone else in history - with all the proselytizing and missionary work that Christians do - it's no wonder he has had such influence.

I'd respond that the only thing that was needed was a belief in Jesus, he didn't actually need to have existed. How would things be any different if Jesus was just a myth? Things would be identical to what we see now. Compare this to if Julius Caesar had been just a myth? History is dependent on Caesar having crossed the Rubicon and eventually defeating Pompey and setting himself up as the de facto leader and started the Roman Empire. If this had all been just a myth and had never actually happened, world history as we know it would be much different than it is now.

If they then go down the 'how do you explain the success of Christianity' line, ask them to explain the success of Mormonism, Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism; two of which predate Judaism (let alone Christianity) itself. If merely being old and having a lot of follows is your indicator of truth, then by that logic Christianity is not the only game in town. Even if you think Christianity is authentic, then they still have to explain how all of these other false religions could also be successful; and why those reasons can't also apply to Christianity.
That's a very good point about how things would look the same if Jesus was just a myth - especially since he is a myth (at least his divine status is anyway). Smile

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply