Jesuss

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2017, 02:01 PM
RE: Jesuss
I'm not sure why the thread is called "Jesuss" with two s's. It made me think about the idea that there are several "Jesuses".

1. There's the Jesus of the NT, born in a manger, of a virgin, visited by Magi, Kings, etc. Knocks over tables in the Temple. Goes off somewhere, comes back and is baptised, becomes a Rabbi, preaches, heals, feeds the poor, is cruified. This version is not literally true...

2. There is the Islamic Jesus who was not crucified, but escaped by some means, and was, it seems from the Koran, a warrior, as the Koran says he will return on a horse to slay the false messiah at the gates of Lydda, (birthplace of St. George). Who this is is anybodies' guess but Muslims don't either accept he was a messiah/son of god or follow the preachings of Jesus 1 as set out in the NT. Hmmmm....

3. Thomas Christians revere the apostle Thomas. According to history, Thomas Christians departed Assyria in search of their "Christ" who they believed had gone to India. Interestingly, there is a story about Thomas travelling to India with Mary. Mary dies on the way and he ends up in Srinigar. There is a tomb there with, so the locals say, the body of Christ in it and casts of his feet showing crucifixion marks, although they look like Yeti feet.

4. Cool Jesus. This is a relatively modern re-invention of Jesus, which Sam Harris subscribes to. Cool Jesus is a hippy-type who preaches a kind of Buddhism, has some followers, bucks authority, feeds the poor, likes kids and for all of this, inexplicably gets himself such a bad rap that he is tried by either or both, or neither, of the Jews or the Romans and is then, perhaps accidentally, crucified. This view of Jesus has inspired many to hunt for another character in the Near East who might have been Jesus, for instance, Appolonius, or the Teacher of Rightheousness...

5. Revisionist Jesus. This Jesus is Izates Manu Abgarus, Syrian King Monobazus I, who is the son of Queen Helena. He converts to Judaism, like his mum, leads a bit of a revolt in the mid-70's and is defeated by Titus Flavius and either crucified or taken off by Josephus to Alsexandria where Vespasian is legitimised as Roman Emperor by Izates and Izates is exiled to Chester, England, where he becomes the basis for the story of King Arthur.

6. Caesar's Messiah- This Jesus is a form of identity theft in which the Romans write up the New Testament making Titus Flavius into a travelling Jewish Rabbi who is comically crucified and resurrected. This Jesus is actually Titus Flavius and the story is intended to support the elevation of his dad, Vespasian, to Emperor, thus creating the Flavian dynasty.

7. The Horus Myth of Jesus. This Jesus is a purely fictional character in the rewriting of the Egyptian myth of Horus, a bit like Hamlet.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Deltabravo's post
17-09-2017, 12:35 PM
(16-09-2017 02:01 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I'm not sure why the thread is called "Jesuss" with two s's. It made me think about the idea that there are several "Jesuses".
Ironically keepy posted (under the same name) on City-Data's Religion & Spirituality forum some time ago. A helpful mod corrected the spelling, but more recently he posted a new thread with the same wrong spelling and I guess they said, screw it, and left it that time. It's the same impenetrable word salad over there. I have him on ignore in both places. It's no loss at all.

I just assumed "Jesuss" was an imitation of the affected pronunciation (Jee-suss) that some pentecostal / sawdust trail radio and TV preachers use. But with this guy it could simply be that he can't be bothered to spell even his god-man's name correctly. I neither know nor care.
17-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Who is this christard cocksucker who claims to speak for the non existent god ? Keepy, know I am Satan and have put an horrific hex on you, Drinking Beverage
17-09-2017, 01:34 PM
This is a poor chew toy we should be merciful and put it out of its deluded misery.
17-09-2017, 08:25 PM
(16-09-2017 09:37 AM)keepy Wrote:  
(13-09-2017 07:03 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Keepy doesn't even attempt to interact, it just spews random bible crap. It looks like a badly designed bot.

punishing the iniqhity? of the father on his son to the third and fourth generation of them that hate Jesus. You have seen that i spoke to you from heaven, do not make with me gods of silver and gold. do not bow down yourself and serve any thing except the lord Jesus

> "And they shall stand in despair before the white cliffs of the world, and shall chant from their empty tomes in vain, for their words are nothing! And ErĂș shall prevail against His enemies and they shall be cast into the Void, for their enchantments are naught and their gods are helpless before Him." (The Silmarillion, 17:82) Consider
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
18-09-2017, 10:19 AM
(16-09-2017 01:51 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-09-2017 01:36 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Can we get rid of this silly fuck? He's not engaged in conversation he's just proselytizing and it's boring.

It's certainly tedious but is it disruptive?

Proselytising is ignorable isn't it?

Unsure

Yes, but isn't posting nothing but Bible verses considered spamming the forum?

I agree it's not disruptive, but it is a waste of space and bandwidth (if bandwidth is even a concern).
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
18-09-2017, 10:29 AM
(18-09-2017 10:19 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(16-09-2017 01:51 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It's certainly tedious but is it disruptive?

Proselytising is ignorable isn't it?

Unsure

Yes, but isn't posting nothing but Bible verses considered spamming the forum?

I agree it's not disruptive, but it is a waste of space and bandwidth (if bandwidth is even a concern).

It would be spam if it was the same verse or if it started to spread to non-contaminated threads.

To me, there seems to be an attempt to connect to us; to use each verse in a way that may have some form of relevance. It's like an alien species trying to communicate to us in their language.

Of course, it's incomprehensible to us humans and this is probably very frustrating for this alien life-form.

Who knows, there may be a Nobel Prize in it for whoever can crack the code.

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
18-09-2017, 10:39 AM
(16-09-2017 02:01 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I'm not sure why the thread is called "Jesuss" with two s's.
I'd like to refer you to an older post of mine from this thread... Big Grin

(24-08-2017 09:35 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Also, as a side note, every time I read the name of this topic "Jesuss" I can't help but like hiss on the double S. Jesusssssss lol.

I've just read a book named "Filth" by Irvine Welsh, which features all sorts of depraved lunacy, but one in particular is the main characters love for being choked when having sex. He calls it, "turning off the gas", which his inner monologue says as "Hey darlin, let me turn off your gassssssss", to recreate a gas type noise. I'm now associating "Jesussss" with this, and it's getting weird.

Think he just loves him some jessussssss Laugh out load

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-09-2017, 10:43 AM
(18-09-2017 10:39 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(16-09-2017 02:01 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I'm not sure why the thread is called "Jesuss" with two s's.

(24-08-2017 09:35 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Also, as a side note, every time I read the name of this topic "Jesuss" I can't help but like hiss on the double S. Jesusssssss lol.

I've just read a book named "Filth" by Irvine Welsh, which features all sorts of depraved lunacy, but one in particular is the main characters love for being choked when having sex. He calls it, "turning off the gas", which his inner monologue says as "Hey darlin, let me turn off your gassssssss", to recreate a gas type noise. I'm now associating "Jesussss" with this, and it's getting weird.

I'm not claiming any originality here (I think someone else already suggested this), but maybe he's Gollum?
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
19-09-2017, 06:02 AM
(18-09-2017 10:39 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  

"It sounds like escaping steam!"
- Dom De Luis - Blazing Saddles

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter
- Thomas Jefferson

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post