Jewish Polytheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Jewish Polytheism
Genesis says "let us make man in our image." The book of Job seems to be a meeting of gods. Are there any other instances in the Bible that would indicate that early Judaism was polytheistic?

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2016, 09:10 PM
RE: Jewish Polytheism
I hesitate to parse the precise wording of a translation, especially one of dubious provenance of copied texts for which there are no reliable originals. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
27-05-2016, 09:58 PM

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 8 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-05-2016, 02:39 AM

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-05-2016, 06:49 AM
(27-05-2016 08:38 PM)f stop Wrote:  Genesis says "let us make man in our image." The book of Job seems to be a meeting of gods. Are there any other instances in the Bible that would indicate that early Judaism was polytheistic?

The names of god used in the bible are derived from Canaanite Religion
The bible is replete with references to Asherah which Yhwh was very insecure and jealous of as well as married to.

Knowing the role Asherah played in early Hebrew religion shows how contrived it is, Asherah was a major godess for the Hebrew people until her influence was scrubbed from the culture, a lot of the Old Testament is the story of an insecure god punishing the Jews for worshiping Asherah and an angry patriarchal Jewish priest class that was in constant cultural battle to suppress Asherah worship.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
28-05-2016, 09:05 AM
I think about it this way.

Early Jew's were enveloped in a world of polytheism. Picking up stories of the local cutlers and adding it to their own tweaking ever so slightly to adjust to their world views. Years pass and now Romans get their hands on writing down these stories. Who ALSO come from a polytheistic belief system. We already know that many words didn't translate well, and most likly the early monks didn't think anything of it.

The monks that wrote the bibles mostly did it threw repetition. They weren't going to grammer check the book "written by God" They just wanted to get the damn thing done. Here are some "side notes" left in the bindings of early bibles.

[Image: 17hcv9lzkt851png.png]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 6 users Like Commonsensei's post
28-05-2016, 09:35 PM
The previous posters have done a great clarying why early followers of Yahweh were polytheistic but for me I always get hung up on the Ten Commandments when he said:

Thou shalt have no other Gods before me.

I'm not being too serious here but what other gods? Why doesn't he just say "I'm the one, true God, I created everything and I will alone judge you." Why even mention other gods who are being worshiped? Is it a test? To see who will say "Well ya know that's great and all but that God Ra has some pretty interesting things to say and if you don't mind I'd like to worship both of you."

It just makes it seem like he's in some kind of competition with the other gods that he thinks exist, he's just the coolest one, he brings the beer to all the parties, why would't you worship him first and foremost? As far as the Israelites are concerned they've only been in contact with one God and only one of them ever brought plagues down on Egypt to secure their freedom, why would they ever worship another God? Unless they did believe at this point or earlier that there were others, in the case of there only being one God there is no reason whatsoever to ever command anyone to only worship you, who else will they worship? You're the only one.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
28-05-2016, 09:40 PM
(28-05-2016 09:35 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Thou shalt have no other Gods before me.

Does that mean we can have minor gods which are after him?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-05-2016, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2016 10:09 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(28-05-2016 09:35 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  The previous posters have done a great clarying why early followers of Yahweh were polytheistic but for me I always get hung up on the Ten Commandments when he said:

Thou shalt have no other Gods before me.

I'm not being too serious here but what other gods? Why doesn't he just say "I'm the one, true God, I created everything and I will alone judge you." Why even mention other gods who are being worshiped? Is it a test? To see who will say "Well ya know that's great and all but that God Ra has some pretty interesting things to say and if you don't mind I'd like to worship both of you."

It just makes it seem like he's in some kind of competition with the other gods that he thinks exist, he's just the coolest one, he brings the beer to all the parties, why would't you worship him first and foremost? As far as the Israelites are concerned they've only been in contact with one God and only one of them ever brought plagues down on Egypt to secure their freedom, why would they ever worship another God? Unless they did believe at this point or earlier that there were others, in the case of there only being one God there is no reason whatsoever to ever command anyone to only worship you, who else will they worship? You're the only one.

They (the Hebrews) recognized many other Canaanite deities. the "covenant" they they would only worship Yahweh, (the war god), so he would help in their battles.

Deuteronomy 32: 8-9
El Elyon , (the most high) gives Israel to Yahweh.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
29-05-2016, 06:44 PM
(28-05-2016 02:39 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Lovin' those super Yiddish accents. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post