"Jewish state"..........

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2014, 09:16 PM
RE: "Jewish state"..........
(11-08-2014 05:59 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 05:01 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  It's not quite so simple. They weren't just plopped into the region by the UN.

Just like everything else in history and international politics, it's not remotely as simple as your solution would necessitate it to have been.

You are correct. It was the League of Nations.

Yeeeeah, no. That died in 1946.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2014, 09:18 PM
(11-08-2014 08:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 06:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The League set up the rest of the Middle East by Mandates (Enacted through the British) which goes to show if you think a UN mandate establishing Israel is not legitimate what does that say about the rest of those countries?

They're all equally artificial. that's what it says. And it's the truth.

I recently watched Simon Shame (a British Jewish historian) do a special on PBS. He's under the impression "they're special", in some way. He buys into that totally. It was revolting someone so intelligent was so ignorant of his ancient history while being so conversant with his recent/modern history.

Hmmmm, Freudian slip? Consider Simon Shama.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-08-2014, 09:19 PM
(11-08-2014 09:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 08:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They're all equally artificial. that's what it says. And it's the truth.

I recently watched Simon Shame (a British Jewish historian) do a special on PBS. He's under the impression "they're special", in some way. He buys into that totally. It was revolting someone so intelligent was so ignorant of his ancient history while being so conversant with his recent/modern history.

Hmmmm, Freudian slip? Consider Simon Shama.

Woops. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
12-08-2014, 05:51 AM
(11-08-2014 09:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 05:59 PM)wazzel Wrote:  You are correct. It was the League of Nations.

Yeeeeah, no. That died in 1946.

I had already admitted my mistake. That is what I get for going from memory.
12-08-2014, 06:02 AM
(12-08-2014 05:51 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 09:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yeeeeah, no. That died in 1946.

I had already admitted my mistake. That is what I get for going from memory.

I was under the impression it didn't "die". It "morphed" into the UN.
Yeah I know. Picky picky.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-08-2014, 06:08 AM
(11-08-2014 03:16 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  I think we should have given New York up to be a Jewish state. That wouldn't have caused all the wars and bloodshed. Of all the places in the world to give the Jews their state, why put them in a place that is going to cause war with every neighboring country and then some Facepalm

Nope sorry, once you start basing state constitutions laws dropping names favoring one group over all others it will cause divisions. Jews are no different, you have Orthodox conservatives and liberal secularists, just like you have conservative Christians and liberal Christians, just like you have differences between Sunnis and Shiites.

The deed is done and they are not going to leave, but I do think it is a bad idea to keep insisting that your laws are based on a holy book. Part of why it take's America's minorities so long to get treated equally is the stupid notion that our laws are ripped out of the bible, despite the first Amendment and despite "No religious test".

The only pragmatic language that is fair to everyone is "freedom of religion" and "common law" without name dropping winking at any group;.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
12-08-2014, 08:40 AM
(12-08-2014 06:02 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 05:51 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I had already admitted my mistake. That is what I get for going from memory.

I was under the impression it didn't "die". It "morphed" into the UN.
Yeah I know. Picky picky.

It was replaced by the UN as the League had lost any semblance of legitimacy. The UN charter is not based on the rules that the League went by (but is closer to Wilsons original intent).

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense