Jewish women in London told "not to drive"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Shocked Jewish women in London told "not to drive"
http://www.channel4.com/news/women-in-ma...t-to-drive

Quote:Women in a Jewish sect in north London have been told not to drive or face having their children barred from school. They are were told that driving would offend "traditional rules of modesty".

In a letter - seen by Channel 4 News - members of the British Belz Hasidic sect in Stamford Hill were told by religious leaders that any children driven by their mothers should be turned away from school from June this year onwards.

The letter, originally in Hebrew, said that a growing number of "mothers of pupils who have started to drive" has led to "great resentment among parents of pupils of our institutions".

It read: "In particular, there is great consternation and resentment amongst our students studying in the holy establishments against this practice. A woman driving a vehicle cannot send her children for education within the Belz institutions.

"Therefore, we are to inform you that as of the beginning of June 2015, it will not be possible for a student to study within our establishment if his/her mother drives a car.

It's a little bit too 'saudi arabia' for my liking, 'marginal' sect or not.

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LostLegend's post
28-05-2015, 01:54 PM
RE: Jewish women in London told "not to drive"
Whatever their beliefs cause them to do to themselves if of no concern to me. It's only a problem when they start trying to affect non-believers.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
28-05-2015, 02:02 PM
(28-05-2015 01:54 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Whatever their beliefs cause them to do to themselves if of no concern to me. It's only a problem when they start trying to affect non-believers.

Then why bother replying?

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
28-05-2015, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2015 02:14 PM by Gilgamesh.)
(28-05-2015 02:02 PM)LostLegend Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 01:54 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Whatever their beliefs cause them to do to themselves if of no concern to me. It's only a problem when they start trying to affect non-believers.

Then why bother replying?

Maybe my opinion is shared by others, and if not, I would like to know why not.

It doesn't make sense to me to get angry over a belief that only affect people who willingly submit to it. The belief that women shouldn't drive is a belief held by them, and the rule that follows from it only affects them. It's not affecting law..

It's like if christian women got angry over the fact that the bible espouses sexist tenents. Nobody is forcing them to be christians.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
29-05-2015, 03:55 AM
It sounds as though it is being investigated but I guess it would come under religious freedom (ironic term as it certainly does not sound very free). However the women who are choosing to drive are clearly making the decision for themselves and so I would say if an organisation tells them they cannot do it then that is discrimination therefore illegal and that should trump the religious crap.

Yes it all sounds too 'Saudi' for my liking. I live in Britain and would prefer it if we could stem the tide of medieval thinking and practices seeping in as much as possible. I would say to this sect "you're in Britain, if your women want to drive our laws are fine with that so suck it up, they're driving, now deal with it and modernise."

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 3 users Like Eva's post
29-05-2015, 04:23 AM
^

It's not telling women that they can't drive.

It's a religous sect telling women that if they do drive, their children will not be allowed to their religious institute; an independent school - which is a school that is independent in its finances and governance. This is not illegal.

People have the choice of not being part of that particular sect, and the choice of sending their children to a different school.
29-05-2015, 04:52 AM
They are expressing that the women should not drive to school due to 'modesty' (whatever the hell that means, I guess it means something to them for whatever patriarchal, medieval reason they have) and if they do their children will be turned away. The suggestion that women should not drive is not illegal but if they start to enforce that then they cross the line and that is sexual discrimination and yes there are laws against that.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 2 users Like Eva's post
29-05-2015, 05:09 AM
It'd be great if the rabbi was dying of a heart attack - and the only ride he could get to the hospital was a woman........

Die, shmuck....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 7 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-05-2015, 05:16 AM
(29-05-2015 04:52 AM)Eva Wrote:  but if they start to enforce that then they cross the line and that is sexual discrimination and yes there are laws against that.
It's not being enforced, and they aren't expressing any sentiment that they want to do so.

You're arguing against something that neither the sect, nor I, are advocating for..
29-05-2015, 05:37 AM
(29-05-2015 05:16 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 04:52 AM)Eva Wrote:  but if they start to enforce that then they cross the line and that is sexual discrimination and yes there are laws against that.
It's not being enforced, and they aren't expressing any sentiment that they want to do so.

You're arguing against something that neither the sect, nor I, are advocating for..

Should I have put the 'if' in capitals. IF <---- there ya go.

[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post