Jewish women in London told "not to drive"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2015, 06:07 AM
RE: Jewish women in London told "not to drive"
If this causes some of them to pull their kids from the school and put them in a less fundamentalist one then that would be a small benefit. Lots of publicity about how ignorant this group is is also good.

What a bunch of wankers.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
29-05-2015, 08:25 AM
Those Abrahamic religions sure are enticing. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
29-05-2015, 10:29 AM
(28-05-2015 12:40 PM)LostLegend Wrote:  http://www.channel4.com/news/women-in-ma...t-to-drive

Quote:Women in a Jewish sect in north London have been told not to drive or face having their children barred from school. They are were told that driving would offend "traditional rules of modesty".

In a letter - seen by Channel 4 News - members of the British Belz Hasidic sect in Stamford Hill were told by religious leaders that any children driven by their mothers should be turned away from school from June this year onwards.

The letter, originally in Hebrew, said that a growing number of "mothers of pupils who have started to drive" has led to "great resentment among parents of pupils of our institutions".

It read: "In particular, there is great consternation and resentment amongst our students studying in the holy establishments against this practice. A woman driving a vehicle cannot send her children for education within the Belz institutions.

"Therefore, we are to inform you that as of the beginning of June 2015, it will not be possible for a student to study within our establishment if his/her mother drives a car.

It's a little bit too 'saudi arabia' for my liking, 'marginal' sect or not.

It's idiotic I agree, but then what else can be expected from religion?

Maybe this will help her to see the true face of religion? Also son could end in different school and it could be good I think.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-05-2015, 10:56 AM
(29-05-2015 05:16 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 04:52 AM)Eva Wrote:  but if they start to enforce that then they cross the line and that is sexual discrimination and yes there are laws against that.
It's not being enforced, and they aren't expressing any sentiment that they want to do so.

You're arguing against something that neither the sect, nor I, are advocating for..

Is that so:

Quote:"Therefore, we are to inform you that as of the beginning of June 2015, it will not be possible for a student to study within our establishment if his/her mother drives a car".

That looks like a threat of enforcement to me, in that they are saying they will refuse to admit any child into the school if their mother is driving.

You are very naive in the workings of religion, many people, especially women feel trapped within these types of sects by pressure of of family and tradition. There are many here on this site who can attest to that. Yet you take the stance that if they are part of the sect then it is their fault for being so. How ignorant.

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
[+] 2 users Like LostLegend's post
29-05-2015, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2015 12:40 PM by Gilgamesh.)
(29-05-2015 10:56 AM)LostLegend Wrote:  Is that so:
Yes, it is:

Quote: in that they are saying they will refuse to admit any child into the school if their mother is driving.
You misunderstand what enforcement means. This is not my problem.

They are within their rights as an independent religious organisation to set criteria for becoming a student in their institute - and that criteria can rightfully derive basis from their particular view of woo.

Quote:You are very naive in the workings of religion, many people, especially women feel trapped within these types of sects by pressure of of family and tradition. There are many here on this site who can attest to that. Yet you take the stance that if they are part of the sect then it is their fault for being so. How ignorant.
No, I recognise that people are emotional. However, I realise that emotions are not grounds for undermining other peoples rights.
29-05-2015, 12:39 PM
I'm under the impression that not driving in London is good advice for everybody.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
29-05-2015, 01:01 PM
EDIT. Misread reply. Was unable to delete post.

(29-05-2015 12:35 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 10:56 AM)LostLegend Wrote:  Is that so:
Yes, it is:

Quote: in that they are saying they will refuse to admit any child into the school if their mother is driving.
You misunderstand what enforcement means. This is not my problem.

They are within their rights as an independent religious organisation to set criteria for becoming a student in their institute - and that criteria can rightfully derive basis from their particular view of woo.

Quote:You are very naive in the workings of religion, many people, especially women feel trapped within these types of sects by pressure of of family and tradition. There are many here on this site who can attest to that. Yet you take the stance that if they are part of the sect then it is their fault for being so. How ignorant.
No, I recognise that people are emotional. However, I realise that emotions are not grounds for undermining other peoples rights.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
29-05-2015, 03:04 PM
(29-05-2015 12:35 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  They are within their rights as an independent religious organisation to set criteria for becoming a student in their institute - and that criteria can rightfully derive basis from their particular view of woo.

Not if that criteria is in breach of the UK Equality act of 2010. Which this clearly is.

Quote:No, I recognise that people are emotional. However, I realise that emotions are not grounds for undermining other peoples rights.

Neither is religion. Dodgy

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
[+] 1 user Likes LostLegend's post
29-05-2015, 03:12 PM
(28-05-2015 01:54 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Whatever their beliefs cause them to do to themselves if of no concern to me. It's only a problem when they start trying to affect non-believers.
What if tax payer money is going towards supporting the schools and organisations that discriminate against gays, single mothers, driving mothers, etc? Are you happy that your own taxes go towards this?
29-05-2015, 03:48 PM
So a few weeks ago...I was in a parking lot, walking to my car and this middle eastern man was talking to another man. He was leaning against the car next to mine. I got in and started my car and kinda waited for him to move.

When he didn't I just started carefully backing out. He said loud enough I could hear him through the closed window...

"This is why we don't let our women drive"

I rolled down the window a little and replied, "oh so you won't move your fat ass and it's my problem?" yeah I'm snarky that way. Guess he was annoyed I interrupted his conversation.

I've seen them a couple times since. He sends his wife into the store while he waits talking on his cell and smoking cigarettes in the parking lot. The wife wears a full burka.

Fml

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post