Jews in China - WWII

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2017, 11:00 AM
Jews in China - WWII
In another thread I mentioned Jews going to China during WWII. It reminded me of a video an acquaintance of mine from when I lived in China (2003 to 2008) posted as part of a continuing series she did in her spare time. They're normally light hearted, funny in a goofy kind of way, and not too serious, but this one brings to light a bit of interesting history that I don't think most people are too familiar with. Just ignore the first part where she rambles about finding a Chinese husband. That's how she'd usually start her episodes Tongue And also forgive the often slowly spoken English. The intended audience included non native English speakers. Anyway, some people might find it interesting.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
02-02-2017, 11:23 AM
RE: Jews in China - WWII
Those look interesting. But I couldn't watch them-it said video not available.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
02-02-2017, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 11:43 AM by yakherder.)
(02-02-2017 11:23 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Those look interesting. But I couldn't watch them-it said video not available.

Hmm... Being in Canada I'm normally the one running into videos that won't work.

Try a YouTube search for Sexy Beijing The Freudian Episode.

Summary: Her grandparents fled from Germany to Shanghai when her father was still a baby. Later when Japan attacks China he again flees to the US, being granted permission only because of his Nazi passport and the fact that the German quota had not yet been met. Basically, right up until the declaration of war, we were taking in Nazis and turning down Jews. He was lucky enough to have the option to identify as either.

At any rate, she accompanies her father to Shanghai to seek out an old Chinese acquaintance.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
02-02-2017, 12:22 PM
US link for the second one.

03-02-2017, 09:29 PM
I've seen the series before. It's pretty interesting. Irene Eber has written extensively on the subject of European Jews in China. You might be interested in the Kaifeng Jews, a community of Jews who lived in the Middle Kingdom for the better part of 900 years. Read my blog article for more information:

http://historum.com/blogs/ghostexorcist/...art-i.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post