Jill Stein

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2016, 01:12 PM
RE: Jill Stein
(13-06-2016 10:49 AM)ImFred Wrote:  What site? Huffington Post?

Also "Jill Stein's stance on science"

Huh?

I was talking about Huffington Post.

Regarding Stein's stance on science: I was responding to what BnW said in his OP. She's not terrible, but some of her stances look like conspiracy woo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
13-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Some folks are fine to proclaim these types of statements and thoughts are merely pandering to that "naturalist" and fearing of science crowd. I am not really trusting to be able to really distinguish that from the positions of time in someone like Stein and from the directions of the Green Party as a whole.

Since going back it has been bordering the hyper purity elements of sticking to nature without encompassing what these elements in reality truly are.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Can you please give links/examples of exactly what you're talking about?
13-06-2016, 07:40 PM
(13-06-2016 02:31 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Can you please give links/examples of exactly what you're talking about?

You talking about what I said about HuffPo or Stein?

I don't know a lot about Stein. I was commenting on what BnW said in the OP, assuming it's accurate. For HuffPo, it was one particularly terrible article they wrote on water fluoridation. I can try to dredge the link up if you want.
13-06-2016, 07:47 PM
That was for CL
13-06-2016, 07:51 PM
I'm always amused by the fantasy of a third party president with a two-party congress.

What exactly do you think will come of that?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
13-06-2016, 08:42 PM
Something better than what's been happening since the end of WW2
13-06-2016, 09:04 PM
(13-06-2016 07:51 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I'm always amused by the fantasy of a third party president with a two-party congress.

What exactly do you think will come of that?

Someone who can forge a compromise or two?
13-06-2016, 09:34 PM
As an Aussie, I'd never heard of Jill Stein or the Green Party. She seems to cover a bizarre set of extremes from the perfectly rational to the totally nutty.

I read through the Green's platform, and had a laugh at this stuff in particular...

Greens support a wide range of health care services, not just traditional medicine, which too often emphasizes "a medical arms race" that relies upon high-tech intervention, surgical techniques and costly pharmaceuticals...

We support the teaching, funding and practice of holistic health approaches and, as appropriate, the use of complementary and alternative therapies such as herbal medicines, homeopathy, naturopathy, traditional Chinese medicine...

Chronic conditions are often best cured by alternative medicine.

To clarify:

"Traditional" medicine = medicine that's been researched, peer reviewed, empirically tested, and proved to work effectively.

"Costly pharmaceuticals" = proved to work; their development is extremely expensive and often spread over decades; highly effective.

"Holistic" = a spiritual and treatable part of the human body; woo.

"Herbal" = ineffectual, unproven ground up leaves, berries, and flowers; earns big dollars.

"Homeopathy" = nonsensical 'like cure like' notion; expensive water; totally debunked worldwide.

"Naturopathy" = the body will repair itself and recover from illness spontaneously in a healthy environment; more woo.

"Traditional Chinese medicine" = a hodgepodge of 'diagnostic' and 'healing' practices developed several millennia ago; worthless; runs risk of people eschewing genuine medical interventions.

—Would Americans really want this woman to have her finger on the red button? I hope not.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
14-06-2016, 05:16 AM
Yes. I trust her with the nuclear codes. I trust her to dismantle our nuclear aresenal. I trust her lead by example on the point that that kind of destructive power is unacceptable. I trust her to never inflict a nuclear holocaust on another people ever again. I trust her more than any elected president we've had in the atomic age, by far.

The Green Party's unfortunate take on medicine is irrelavent when it comes to war.

By the way, personally I'm going to continue using traditional western science backed medicine. What others choose to do is their own business. They can eat garlic by the truckload and gargle all witch hazel they want. There's basically no change there. America doesn't force people to take any certain kind of medical care.

I get that finding a single fault excites certain posters here but it has been acknowledged. She's not as outspokenly harshly sceptical of alternative medicine as she should be. Got it.

Besides that she's far superior to every other candidate. Trump isn't going to concern himself with snake oil medicine men. If they're making money he'll invest in them. Hillary doesn't confront the almighty dollar in any way. If it's profitable she's alignes herself with it, without fail. Johnson, the Libertarian, is obviously going to be live and let live. The Libertarian philosophy would allow you to buy heroin at Walgreen.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post